E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Radio questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020 | 07:26 PM

I put a RetroSound unit in a MK2 a while back, along with RetroSound speaker.

While it might appear overly complex for what you want, the end result was really great.

Old 08-11-2020 | 07:38 PM
|

Great pics and ideas! I looked at the Retrosound concept, it’s a wonderful idea. Given all the great guidance here, I’m inclined to seriously consider the OOS unit. I really appreciate all the input!

Old 08-12-2020 | 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

My MG Midget has the original Phillips radio of 1977, and it works perfectly. The car even has an electric radio aerial that also works perfectly. Heaven, you might say ! Only trouble is, it only has Long and Medium wave bands and the world moved on long ago in England to FM, and, of course, DAB in the last couple of years. So there isn't much to listen to on it if you don't like pop. I want to hear classic music and there's none on these bands. Of course the upside is I can tune in to European channels and at night there are quite a few on Medium wave.

Old 08-12-2020 | 10:28 PM
|

Well, in my Figaro while I have a CD player and working a.m./f.m. radio, I make use a simple FM transmitter (Walmart, $8 bucks) connected to my iPhone for music and love it. I recently replaced the 2 Kenwood door speakers with Kicker 6.5” units and with top-down motoring sound is strong and fine for me. That’s why it wouldn't bother me to have an old unit In the console, all I need is for the transmitter to recognize the tuner.

Old 08-13-2020 | 09:05 AM

I've gat a car with a rat chewed antenna cable that is impossible to get to without pulling the dash apart. So I've been going "old School" with CDs. Amazing how inconvenient it seems with newer technology.
I had considered one of these but heard the fidelity was not so great, broadcasting to an FM band instead of direct to a bluetooth amp connection as in the units above.
Since you have a CD player and this connected in the same system what do you think about the sound quality comparison-CD vs. the "blue tooth broadcaster to the FM" of your radio?

Old 08-14-2020 | 11:52 AM
|

I don’t notice any difference between CD’s and the FM transmitter and the sound is certainly superior to any FM station and easily equal to Sirius. I use one at home too (non battery activated with an old iPhone 4S) with an old under kitchen cabinet radio that can’t pull in squat otherwise, it’s actually playing now! The unit I posted above uses 2 AAA batteries. I use channel 88.1 to connect, it’s farthest from an actual station locally so allows clear transmission. Also, the Figaro has a retractible antenna and I keep it down to avoid pulling in any close stations. I keep my iPhone in the small space just under the radio as proximity can sometimes, but not always, affect the connection and sound quality. For 8 bucks at Walmart, it’s worth a shot and you can pretty much return anything at any time there! Keep in mind here, I’m not a huge audiophile, I don’t hear subtle differences between CD’s, Vinyl, etc. Also, I’m a vocalist as a hobby, so I tend to concentrate on vocal elements (i.e., notes, pitch, nuances, etc.) as opposed to instrumental reproduction accuracy / details of say a Eric Clapton or BB King solo. Hope it helps.

Old 08-14-2020 | 12:09 PM

Sounds like it's worth a try. I have a lot of music on my phone and I tend to not change CDs all the time and end up listening to same ones over and over until I breakdown and change them. Plus you gotta carry em in the car.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Smonop (08-14-2020)