E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

re opus ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re opus ignition

I replaced my ignition with the SNG Barrett reopus ignition system for almost a $1,000.00 to eliminate the heat soak problem. The car runs great until I turn it off and let is stand for about 10 minutes. It will not start. There is no voltage to the coil. I let it sit for about an hour and it runs starts and runs fine. It's like someone turns a switch off. I hate paying good money for a fix that does not fix. I hate doing the same job over and over again. Anyone got any ideas about the SNG Barrett reaps problem?

Old 08-07-2023, 06:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Voltage to the coil comes from the ballast resistor which gets it from the ign switch.
You can check voltage into the resistor at batt voltage and voltage out should be around 10 volts. It could be a faulty resistor or just high resistance in the wiring.
The fuel pump gets its power from the ignition switch. Is the fuel pump running when you have the No start condition?

Old 08-07-2023, 07:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default hot starting problem

Originally Posted by egold56
I replaced my ignition with the SNG Barrett reopus ignition system for almost a $1,000.00 to eliminate the heat soak problem. The car runs great until I turn it off and let is stand for about 10 minutes. It will not start. There is no voltage to the coil. I let it sit for about an hour and it runs starts and runs fine. It's like someone turns a switch off. I hate paying good money for a fix that does not fix. I hate doing the same job over and over again. Anyone got any ideas about the SNG Barrett reaps problem?
I have a 1966 E type with a similar problem. I've tried rebuilding the carbs, replace the points with a petronix ignitor and then replaced the plug wires. Same problem so went back to points after which she ran perfect but wouldn't start until cool down. Thinking it may be the coil now but hate wasting money, any suggestions are welcome