E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Reliability?

What is the reliability like for the E-Types. I fell in love with this car when I was a kid. My brother-in-law has a '71 E-Type but had nothing but trouble with it. I'd love to get one, and don't mind giving it the attention a fine lady deserves, but I don't want in to be in the garage more than on the road.

Mark

Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hi

My friend had a series of secondhand E-types in the late 60s and early 70s when we English could actually afford to buy and run them !! At that time I was into motorcycles, not cars.

From his experience, it was as reliable as similar cars of the era and better than some, (the Italians for example). It was also much cheaper to buy than foreign "exotica", although this is no longer true today.

You have to be careful not to compare it unfairly to modern cars, which generally are much more reliable, albeit more complex, than those of 40 years ago. So it may go wrong more often than a modern car, but is generally easier to fix for the DIY man. There are no pesky electronics for a start, until the V12s came along with their analogue electronic ignition.

Also bear in mind any E-type you buy would be well over 30 years old, nearly 40, so there will always be lots of work to do, if the previous owner neglected it even a little. It will never be an everyday car for that reason.

Nice to have one though !

Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

That's good to know because my love affair with Jaguar started with this car when I was a kid. If/when I get an E-Type, it will be a sunny Sunday afternoon drive through the country car, not a daily driver. Thanks,

Mark

Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

I take care of a privately owned collection of classic/exotic/collectible cars. Besides fluffing and buffing and repairing what breaks or falls off I'm tasked with exercisng the cars as much as conditions permit.

Among the Jags are two E-types....one restored and one a well kept original. I have never once been in able to "just jump in and go". Never ! I have to laugh because, oddly, the XK120 and XK140 never fail to start.

In fairness the E-types are not the only ones to give me trouble (and keep me employed, I might add) and I am 101% certain they'd do MUCH better if used on a regular basis. Sitting for weeks or months is very hard on Brit cars for some reason.

Anyhow.....

Buy an already-sorted one and run it often. Your troubles should be limited to some occasional weekend tinkering.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

In fairness the E-types are not the only ones to give me trouble (and keep me employed, I might add) and I am 101% certain they'd do MUCH better if used on a regular basis. Sitting for weeks or months is very hard on Brit cars for some reason.
Very true. My car is mostly unrestored, fairly low miles (53K), painted once, original interior. It has electronic ignition and a few other tweaks, but is 99% as it was when dispatched from Browns Lane. Always starts too. Most issues arise from cars that are seldom driven - gummed up fuel systems, dried oil seals, old brake fluid, old coolant. Anyone who owned and maintained a '60s British sports car before will be familiar with the components found on the E-type: Lucas, SU, Stromberg, and will be right at home.

I drive my car to work on nice days (34 mile round trip) no issues or break downs - just too much traffic to really open her up! Its put away for the winter now. Click on the link in my signature line to see it.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile reliability

If you listen to all the horror stories of folks having all sorts of problems with their Jags etc., the common factor seems to be that they are either unwilling or unable to listen or to feel the car talk to them. I owned a foreign car garage here in New Mexico for 33 years and have heard most of the stories. I really resent that the English cars have had to take such an undeserved hit with owners blaming the cars for the poor reliability. Granted, they (and Jags in particular) may be a bit more persnikity than most, but the sheer pleasure and fun of driving them far outpaces the problems. If you want to drive it and take care of it like you did your '53 Chevy pickup, then you should go get another Chevy pickup and leave the driving pleasure to us that apreciate it ! All you have to do is to pay attention to it like you would to a lady friend and take care of it accordingly. If it is a daily driver you want, then you need a Toyota or something else equally boring !! The English cars have a personality that no other country or manufacturer has been able to duplicate, so treat it like a friend ! Good luck, but don't expect something that it can't deliver for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our 62 has just undergone a major restoration, and we are planning on driving it (in the sun, mind you) every week...take it out on the levy, or a country road. The little lady will drive it out for a luncheon...open it up when the traffic is nil...let her be what she was built to be.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago I replaced the alternator on my car , a '67 coupe, with a rebuilt GM unit from the local auto parts store. It cost $24.00. That took care of most of the trouble the car ever gave me. This year I replaced the Jaguar electric fan with a salvaged fan from a late model Ford Taurus. That fan puts out at least four time the cfm of the original unit. It will actually cool down the engine's temperature while it is sitting still, just idling. That item cost $40.00 from Pick-N-Pull. Just be sure to hook it up with a two-stage relay. The best medicine for an old Jag, is the same for us: Regular exercise!