E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Replace Ignition System on S3 XKE V12-Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replace Ignition System on S3 XKE V12-Advice wanted

Looking for some advice on replacing the ignition system on my XKE S3 V12. I replaced the Lucas ignition system with a FireBall XR700/XR3000 in 2008. The Fireball ignition system worked fine, but now I'm again having issues with the car loosing power after a short run of about 10 minutes and suspect it might again be ignition related. Once it startes to loose power the car will only go about 20 mph until I pull over or it stalls out. The engine will restart right away and rev up but has the same loss of power when I put it in gear and try to move. If I wait awhile and let it cool it will start right up and run fine for a short period of time until it looses power again. All the gages and fluid levels were ok. The sparkplugs and distributor cap have been replaced recently. I'm suspecting the fireball ignition and wondering if I should go down the path of trying to find a replacement for it or try a different ignition system. Looking for advice from someone who has replaced their ignition system ? What kind was it and do you recommend it or not recommend it. Any ideas on how to determine if its actually the ignition system. There is a ignition conversion kit that actually uses the Lucus amplifier module rebuilt but also includes most of the other ignition circuit part (Distributor, coil, resistor ) that looks interesting but is a but is a but pricey- Does anyone have any first hand experience replacing their system with this one. Any others I'm not aware of?