E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Series 1.5 FHC 5 speed manual gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 01:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Series 1.5 FHC 5 speed manual gearbox

This is a question for our fellow E-Type owners and enthusiasts in the US, have any of you converted your cars to 5 speed manual gearboxes? If so what gearbox did you install and did it fit in without any modifications, cutting welding etc to the body? And was the position of the gear-lever the same inside the car as before the conversion? Also I appreciate any on cost and availability of parts for the conversion

Old 03-13-2021, 07:52 AM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi 1vorjagman,
Everyone that I have spoken with that has a 5 speed on their E-Type absolutely loves it. I have driven a series 2 OTS with a 5 speed and it was great. In city driving there isn't much difference, but on the highway it does make a difference. Lower RPMs, quieter, smoother.
Unless you know it is a 5 speed you cannot tell anything is different in the car. The shift lever position is the same as original. No modifications are necessary unless you have a 2+2. In that case the drive shaft length needs to be shortened I think. There is no other fabrication required to install the 5 speed. I have a quote of U$5,987 including the clutch kit and freight to Daytona.
I am in the process (actually next week) of ordering one from "The driven man" for my 68 FHC. As far as I know it is the only one being offered at this point. All the other ones are no longer being offered. The guy who rebuilt my engine has two E-Types with this gear box, and his son also has two jags with the same gear box. They both love it. Not all reviews are 100% positive however. Some people have complained that sometimes the gearbox can be a bit noisy. I did not experience this with the one I drove. My engine builder has not had that experience. Here is the link to the Driven man website. https://drivenman.com . I have been talking with Mathew at Driven man.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Bill.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:52 PM

Hi Bill thanks for that. I spoke to my restorer today on this subject, he said there’s only one box that they recommend which is by Ulricht. He said that others they have fitted at owner requests have not been smooth between gear changes, clunky etc and generally not as good as the standard box fitted to my 68 FHC, which is smooth all synchro and quiet. He also said some boxes require the tunnel to be cut/modified to accommodate the fitment. I have found one box which is said to be dimensionally the same as my existing box with no mods required for fitting, not even the prop shaft length, only thing is it costs £6000! Ouch! Research continues, will keep you posted
ian

Old 03-13-2021, 03:57 PM

Ian,
yes, it is important to find a box that will not require any modification and that it will work well.
The driven man 5 speed does not require any modifications at all when installing in a car that previously had a 4 speed. I checked their site and saw that if you put a 5 speed on a car that was previously an automatic, that is the one that requires a change a drive shaft length as the only change. I will be ordering the 5 speed next week so I have it ready when the engine is ready to go back in the car.
Bill.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:30 AM

Hi Bill, I visited the website and watch the video, and am quite impressed, I will def follow up with more research of this box and phone Matthew for a chat. I got my car back from the restorers a couple of weeks ago and am now doing some (of the easier) jobs listed that need attention such as replacing the rear radius arms and bushes whilst it’s not greatly dismantled so I can drive it to events over spring & summer before returning it to the restorers in the autumn for the major job of complete front end resto inc bonnet strip & repaint inc frames and bulkhead repaint too, rewire front end and generally return it looking fab under the bonnet - I will be proud to open the bonnet at events unlike now it stays firmly shut! So when you get your engine & new box installed let me know what you think about driving. Is the box as good as you hope it will be. Your comments could result in me ordering one.

Stay safe,
ian

Old 03-14-2021, 08:44 AM

Ian, I will definitely let you know how the car drives with the 5 speed. But that will not be for a while. I still have other things to do to the car, beyond installing the engine, before the car will be drivable. I am ordering the 5 speed this week because I want to have it available for when the engine goes in.
Enjoy your car and stay safe. Post a photo when you have a chance.
Bill.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 693 Posts

Interesting conversation, I 'am wondering if we are talking of the 5 speed being behind a straight six, and not a V12. correct me if I'm wrong. Either way sounds like a great upgrade.

Jack

Old 03-14-2021, 11:25 AM

Yes it will be fitted to a straight 6 XK 4.2 litre engine. I have a 4.2 litre V8 in my XK8 which is creamy smooth and quiet, at tick over in the garage you can hardly hear it running, unlike the E which even my neighbours know when the engine is running at tick over!

Old 03-16-2021, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the 5 speed gearbox in your FHC for a while now, do you have any comments pro/con for the conversion. It is a "luxury" upgrade, not a necessary item to keep the car going!
Thanks
PS I'm still looking for a nice FHC if you know of any. You mentioned your mechanic and his son have multiple cars.