E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

su fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default su fuel pump

i am changing my fuel pump and finding that the replacements has very small o rings to seal the banjo fitting to the pump and fiber washers to seal the fitting to the bolt on the outside. the original has fiber washers on both sides of the fitting. I have cleaned the fitting surfaces and put it together several times, swapped the bolts and fittings and nothing I do seems to stop the seals from leaking. any suggestions??

thanks bill

Old 05-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by prettygirl69
i am changing my fuel pump and finding that the replacements has very small o rings to seal the banjo fitting to the pump and fiber washers to seal the fitting to the bolt on the outside. the original has fiber washers on both sides of the fitting. I have cleaned the fitting surfaces and put it together several times, swapped the bolts and fittings and nothing I do seems to stop the seals from leaking. any suggestions??
thanks bill
A shot in the dark, but if it's an aluminum body SU pump you might try copper sealing washers instead.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Copper can work, but you have to "anneal" the copper washers, first...Use a propane torch, and heat the washer on a brick, or other insulating material....
Heat to red, and let it cool (don't quench it)...Once annealed, it will conform to the surface much better...
If you have to re-install the same washer, later, you will have to anneal it again.
Edward

The following users liked this post:
prettygirl69 (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 03:42 PM

mr barry, copper was one of my options. turned out after many hrs of screwing with it replacing the fiber washer between the fitting and the head of the banjo bolt with an o ring that fit snugly on the bolt and had a cros-sectional diam of 0.10 worked perfectly.

thanks for your suggestion.

back on the road again. bill m

Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Barry
Copper can work, but you have to "anneal" the copper washers, first...Use a propane torch, and heat the washer on a brick, or other insulating material....
Heat to red, and let it cool (don't quench it)...Once annealed, it will conform to the surface much better...
If you have to re-install the same washer, later, you will have to anneal it again.
Edward
Hello Edward,
For what reason are you suggesting not quenching the copper. A full anneal is achieved by quenching and obviously quicker than waiting to be able handle it using the fresh air cool method.

Regards,

Brent

Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Brent
Just from personal experience...Quenching seems to harden the metal, and may distort the shape....Time-wise, we are talking about two washers, may take an extra five minutes.
But whatever works for you is a good way to do it.

Bill
I'm not sure that the O ring is your best cure....While it may work for a while, the rubber will tend to twist under the head of the bolt, and might begin leaking sooner than you would like....
If it does, then you need to re-think the cure.

Edward

Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Barry
Brent
Just from personal experience...Quenching seems to harden the metal, and may distort the shape....Time-wise, we are talking about two washers, may take an extra five minutes.
But whatever works for you is a good way to do it.

Bill
I'm not sure that the O ring is your best cure....While it may work for a while, the rubber will tend to twist under the head of the bolt, and might begin leaking sooner than you would like....
If it does, then you need to re-think the cure.

Edward
Hello Edward,
Pure copper can't be hardened by heating and quenching, irrespective of the quench method.

Alloys that harden during low-to-intermediate temperature treatments following solution quenching include precipitation hardening, spinodal-hardening and order-hardening types. Quench-hardening alloys comprise aluminum bronzes, nickel-aluminum bronzes, and a few copper-zinc alloys.

None of the above named alloys have the typical appearance of copper. Copper washers are generally pure copper.

Regards,

Brent

Old 05-17-2016, 11:07 AM

I do agree with Edward on the rubber o-ring though, I wouldn't feel very good about having that back there.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:28 PM

that is interesting because unlike the old pump the new pump came with an o ring seal on the pump inlet and outlet face. I will watch it closely.

does anyone know of a source for soft copper washers with the i.d. o.d. or do I have to grind one out of the typical copper washers made for oil pan and tranny plugs.

bty I really appreciate all the input. bill

Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Default su fuel pump seal

joe kurdle inc. (sp??) phone 718 762 7878 has aluminum washers for the outside seal on that banjo bolt and fitting if anyone else is in need.

nice guy too> bill

Old 05-18-2016, 11:33 AM

joe kurdle inc. (sp??) phone 718 762 7878 has aluminum washers for the outside seal on that banjo bolt and fitting if anyone else is in need.

nice guy too> bill
Do you mean Joe Curto?

Edward

Old 05-18-2016, 01:19 PM

that is interesting because unlike the old pump the new pump came with an o ring seal on the pump inlet and outlet face. I will watch it closely.
does anyone know of a source for soft copper washers with the i.d. o.d. or do I have to grind one out of the typical copper washers made for oil pan and tranny plugs.
bty I really appreciate all the input. bill
Actually, Ace Hardware will probably have them! I've picked them up there for different banjo fittings. But the aluminum bits will probably work just as well.
The o-rings that came with the new pump, are they rectangular cross section or round? Just curious. Or maybe a washer with an o-ring bonded inside?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Default su fuel pump sealing

mr. barry that could be the correct spelling for the man welsh pointed me toward if he rebuilds su's and strombergs at a shop in ny.

the o ring that came with the new pumps is round in cross section.

I have also found crush copper washers that will fit the outside of the banjo fitting/bolt at partsklassik.com. they mainly sell Porsche parts and were very helpful. they appear to be a good resource.

bill

Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 372 Likes on 259 Posts

A good source for soft copper washers and other goodies is Pegasus Auto Racing supplies. Search for "washers" within their site. They got good stuff!
Happy Motoring....