E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Good To Be True?

I am considering a 1964 OTS that was restored 5 years ago. The seller has sent pictures and wants to make the transaction through United-Sky.com. Has anyone heard of this third party? The seller wants $22,800. Is this too good to be true?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

I think you know the answer to that!

Don't forget to drop by the new members section and post your intro.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

post some of the pics, or a link to his ad. I'm sure it's a scam, the fun part is proving it.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Hello Mark,
I would like to thank you for your interest in buying my car and also to clearly some things first of all. Pics attached. The car was fully restored 5 years ago. I own this car for about 3 years since then this is my weekend car and is in showroom condition. I keep it inside. Everything is original and is working properly. Numbers match.
I know it's been advertised in few areas but the car is in Santa Fe, NM. I had it advertised through a brokerage company that is why it was posted in several places. Crazy for his commission...I would like to know from the beginning if you are really interested in purchase, so i can stop negotiating with potential buyers.
My final price is $22,800 with shipping/handling included and it is not negotiable because the car is perfect condition. For shipping I will use a a two way shipping voucher that I receive it for free from united-sky.com
The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party and this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job, so I decided to use the Protection Program offered by united-sky.com
This service will offer you:
-Secure & safe payment method only by Bank transfer.
-Inspection period for buyer (7 days for inspection with the car at your location).
-united-sky.com will handle the shipping too.
-The car will come with all documents (clear title, bills of sale, car’s manual)
So if you agree with what i stated above and you have the funds, i am ready to explain to you all the details regarding the payment method - inspection period - shipping process and all about this deal.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

David W Anderson

PS: If you don't have a history with united-sky.com I can ask them to send you an email with general terms and condition or you can go on their website and read their General Terms and Condition (Make sure that you also check your junk/spam mail folder because their message might be delivered over there).

Old 03-22-2014, 01:29 PM

Below is one of the pics sent with the above email:
Too Good To Be True?-capture.jpg

Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Have you told him you want to fly down and see it first?

Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

From a deal for a Corvette- "Hello Mark.
I would like to thank you for your interest in buying my car and also to clearly some things first of all. Do you need more pics?
I know it's been advertised in few areas but the car is in Springfield, OH. I had it advertised through a brokerage company that is why it was posted in several places. Crazy for his commission...I would like to know from the beginning if you are really interested in purchase, so i can stop negotiating with potential buyers.
My final price is $24,000 with shipping/handling included and it is not negotiable because the car is perfect condition. For shipping I will use a voucher.
The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party and this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job, so I decided to use the Protection Program offered by Amazon Payments.
-Secure & safe payment method only by Bank transfer
-Inspection period for buyer (7 days for inspection with the car at your location)
-Shipping company is created by a local contractor.
-The car will come with all documents (clear title,bills of sale,car’s manual)
So if you agree with what i stated above and you have the funds, i am ready to explain to you all the details regarding the
payment method - inspection period - shipping process and all about this deal.
Looking forward to hearing from you!"

sound familiar?

The following users liked this post:
Norri (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

And a Porsche site-

Hello Steve,
I would like to thank you for your interest in buying my car and also to clearly some things first of all.
I know it's been advertised in few areas but the car is in Tacoma, WA. I had it advertised through a brokerage company that is why it was posted in several places. Crazy for his commission...I would like to know from the beginning if you are really interested in purchase, so i can stop negotiating with potential buyers.
My final price is $24,900 which includes shipping and insurance and it is not negotiable because the car is in perfect condition.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

He's also tried to sell an RV, a Chevelle, a 4WD in Australia, a muscle car in Australia, etc.

Good job Cantork, you did the right thing by asking! Now you can ignore him, report him, or just yank his chain and make him jump through a bunch of hoops before you ditch him.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 PM

How do I report him?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure- you can try looking for state or federal scam reporting hotlines I guess. The thing is, this person might be anywhere on the planet, so that makes it tough.

A couple days ago my daughter received an email supposedly about her income tax refund. I reported it to Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

At the very least reporting may help save someone else.............

Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Default Here's the response I got for the same car!!

Hello David,
I would like to thank you for your interest in buying my car and also to clearly some things first of all. Do you need more pics?
I know it's been advertised in few areas but the car is in Greenville, OH. I had it advertised through a brokerage company that is why it was posted in several places. Crazy for his commission...I would like to know from the beginning if you are really interested in purchase, so i can stop negotiating with potential buyers.
My final price is $22,800 with shipping/handling included and it is not negotiable because the car is perfect condition. For shipping I will use a a two way shipping voucher that I receive it for free from united-sky.com
The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party and this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job, so I decided to use the Protection Program offered by united-sky.com
-Secure & safe payment method only by Bank transfer.
-Inspection period for buyer (7 days for inspection with the car at your location).
-united-sky.com will handle the shipping too.
-The car will come with all documents (clear title, bills of sale, car’s manual)
So if you agree with what i stated above and you have the funds, i am ready to explain to you all the details regarding the payment method - inspection period - shipping process and all about this deal.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

David W Anderson

PS: If you don't have a history with united-sky.com I can ask them to send you an email with general terms and condition or you can go on their website and read their General Terms and Condition (Make sure that you also check your junk/spam mail folder because their message might be delivered over there).

Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

There's a couple easy ways to research these things. One is to right click a photo, and choose the "search Google for this image" option.
You'll often find it's on a dealers website somewhere. The better one is to choose a distinctive sentence, like the "crazy for his commission" one. Highlight the text, and again search Google for it.
Scammers have a standard form letter that they use, with variations on price and location, and it makes them easy to spot.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by avt007
There's a couple easy ways to research these things. One is to right click a photo, and choose the "search Google for this image" option.
You'll often find it's on a dealers website somewhere. The better one is to choose a distinctive sentence, like the "crazy for his commission" one. Highlight the text, and again search Google for it.
Scammers have a standard form letter that they use, with variations on price and location, and it makes them easy to spot.

Wow! Excellent Job avt, frickin scammers! What's wrong with people these days, what ever happened to going out and earning a hard earned buck!

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

David W Anderson types with a chinese slant.
He also is very keen on his payment preference.

Nice car,nice try and time to move on...

Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Just a thought. That E looks like the same one I just looking at on facebook.IE: -> British Sports Cars.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 AM

Never trust an add that commits more time highlighting the merits of his/her chosen payment system than the advertised product itself....