E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel bearing replacement

I have an intermittent rotational noise that I think COULD be a wheel bearing on the front passenger side. I’m not committed to that answer but wanted to get some information on how to successfully change the front wheel bearings (or somehow visually tell if they need replacing?). The wheel bearing kits from SNG or Moss are both pretty cheap but I’m sure it’s not the easiest job. Anyone have a good resource they’ve used for that? I’m driving a 1969 etype FHC. Thanks for the input!

Old 03-04-2024, 08:51 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Front wheel bearing replacement is a standard job that hasn’t changed much over the years. You’ll need basic tools plus a seal remover, a drift punch and a hefty ball peen hammer, and a bearing driver set.

Remove the wheel.
Remove the brake caliper. (You don’t need to open up the brake line, just hang the caliper somewhere out of the way and avoid any stress on the brake line.)
Get the split pin out of the hub nut.
Remove the hub nut.
Pull off the disc/hub assembly. (The outer bearing will come out when you pull off the disc/hub.)

set the disc/hub on a bench.
Remove the inner bearing grease seal.
Lift out the inner bearing assy.
Using a large drift and hammer, drive out the inner and outer bearing races. (There are notches cut into the hub for your drift.)
Clean up the hub.
Using a suitable bearing driver, drive in the races for inner and outer bearings.
Pack new bearings with fresh grease.
Install the inner bearing in its race and drive in a new grease seal.
Install hub/disc onto the spindle.
Install outer bearing, washer, and hub nut.
Tighten the hub nut until there is no play in the bearing preload but the hub still spins on the spindle.
Install new split pin (There is a hole in the splined portion of the hub for this.)
Put the wheel on.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Well said

That was a great description.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Well said

That was a great description.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:18 PM
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Wheel bearing "noise" can be very deceiving that is for sure. As a recent example, on my R56 MINI, I had what was, in my opinion, an unmistakable, wheel bearing noise, so I replaced both sides (I replace these in 2 generally). Turns out...wasn't that at all. After a few months and lots of diagnosing and effort, it was actually a bearing in my gearbox. Found a cheap low mileage transmission and replaced it and noise is all gone. Now, I am not saying it is a transmission or anything, only highlighting that it could be something different (even as simple as a sticker on an axle that has come partially lose seen that too).

Really great tool that any DIYer should have =
Chassis System "Ears" Diagnosis tool Chassis System "Ears" Diagnosis tool
NOTE: Not endorsing this one, only using it as an example of what I am talking about.

Video of the noise that was a near perfect wheel bearing noise that actually wasn't:

The following users liked this post:
Valerie Stabenow (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 04:06 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts

You asked for a quick check. It may only be a loose wheel. set your jack and chock the other three that aren't being raised. Get each wheel off the ground and make sure each is tight on its hub. It may be a good idea at this point to take each wheel off, examine the splines, lube splines with Anti-Seize and hammer it back on. Then, check each wheel again for bearing play. When the suspect wheel is not resting on the ground, put your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and wiggle the wheel. That may show the bearing is bad. There are also several videos on YT to show test methods and here's one for XKE:

Old Today, 04:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Perhaps you have done this already BUT SHOP this around NY. Surely there is more than one Jag mechanic in NY. In repairing mine, I went thru maybe 5-6 mechanics that work on Jags looking for a reasonable price with good work.