E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Wiper Motor Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiper Motor Rebuild

Hey everyone, as I am tackling the restoration of my 68' 2+2, I have tried to compartmentalize the projects so that I don't feel absolutely overwhelmed. Next on the list is rebuilding the wiper motor. I got it apart, cleaned, painted, and I am ready to put it back together (although I don't ever anticipate driving it in the Central Texas Rain). The wiper motor is the Lucas one that they made for a short period of time in 68' w/ the square main part. The switch carrier plate originally had a wire that was coming off of it. Mine had the wire broken off. From pictures, I can see that the wire is soldered, then into place by some kind of small wire retainer attached to the cover that goes over the plate, then it goes somewhere? I'm not sure b/c I can't get a good picture. I have the wiring schematic, but I can't tell what it is. Actually, I don't know if it is even a two speed motor. I have a 1, 2, and E connector. I believe the E connector is just connected to the bolt holding the back cover on. Does anyone have any info on this. Exploded parts diagram, video, etc?? Also, how would I bench test this? Once I get it wired correctly, can I just connect it to a 12v battery, or do I have to do something first? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe the service manual actually explains how to hook up the leads to test the motor and speeds-I will check on that when I get home

Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also would like to know how to bench test the viper motor.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

service manual wasn't really helpful, but I figured it out. There is a website called mgaguru.com that has a section about this motor. I used this website many times for my mga and tons of parts / problems between the cars are the same, or similar. I wish some xke guy had a website like this guy has for the mga. It's almost worth buying him an old series one so that he could make a similar one for the xke... Basically a 14g red wire goes from the disk and is soldered to the #2 lead inside the motor assembly. E is your ground. 1 is your switched ground. 2 is your power. Take a battery and connect both e and 1 to it. Connect 2 to the +. It should move. If you want to test if your switch works, put it between 1 and the battery. Good luck..

Old 04-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stancey
service manual wasn't really helpful, but I figured it out. There is a website called mgaguru.com that has a section about this motor. I used this website many times for my mga and tons of parts / problems between the cars are the same, or similar. I wish some xke guy had a website like this guy has for the mga. It's almost worth buying him an old series one so that he could make a similar one for the xke... Basically a 14g red wire goes from the disk and is soldered to the #2 lead inside the motor assembly. E is your ground. 1 is your switched ground. 2 is your power. Take a battery and connect both e and 1 to it. Connect 2 to the +. It should move. If you want to test if your switch works, put it between 1 and the battery. Good luck..
Thank's a lot for info. Thou I have a different kind of viper motor with a round rotor case, not the more rectangular shown at mgaguru, but lots of information there anyway. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if you still need assistance but see attached.

Wiper Motor Schematic