Best driving road you've been on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short but sweet, Shaftesbury to the village of Ashmore in North Dorset, via zig zag hill. One of, if not the most wiggly roads in England leading up to a fantastic slightly curving straight with views from Dorset, Wiltshire Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Old 05-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

im no good to you folks in Europe, but the best driving road i have been on with my xjs would have to be a country road right off of Rt 9 here in NJ in Howell/Farmingdale. long winding roads with hills all around, it is such a drastic change in handling compared to my 78 Camaro haha

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM

Almost any road in Northumberland, Durham west of the A1 is a dream to drive, scenic, hilly, historic, lacks of GATSOs and, most importantly, empty even at peak holiday times.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Wow what a lot of great roads. I haven't been on here for a while for various reasons but I'm glad this thread has generated some interest.

Scotland does fare well road wise - I've just come back from a day trip to Edinburgh and I took my JAG up the A1. (Can I say that?) The road past Berwick is pretty cool if only for the proximity of the coast and the great scenery. At 600am it was clear too so pleasantly fast as well.

Managed to rather over do it speed wise on the way back via the M74 - some tw*t in an Audi A4 clearly didn't get the respect he felt he deserved. His face was a picture as I left him for dead for a couple of miles and then eased off to wave him past (single digit salute of course!). The low profiles really make a difference to the top end speed.

I'll shall remember to check in more frequently from now on!!

Oh and if anyone has any thoughts about my wheel screeching issue - see XType threads - please let me know!

Cheers

Neil

Old 07-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bernese Oberland region in Switzerland has fantastic roads through mountains and valleys. Summer time is haven to a lot of bikers and performance cars.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Driving across Vancouver island.

Zero traffic (since you have to take a ferry), well-kept road, beautiful view through the mountains and then by the ocean, switchbacks and changing elevations through the mountains, if you have a manual plenty of "downshift-to-2, apex, up to 3, 4 -another turn" moments with some nice straightways too.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default For the USofA kids...

By far the most exciting and awesomest road in the South in the "Tail of the Dragon" running from Deals Gap, NC up thru Tenn., 318 curves (most of the curves are banked!) in 11 miles. The scenery is also beautiful but you're too busy driving and having fun to notice except by pulling off the road.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM

My son and I went to the Top Gear 'Buttertubs' road recently. Good fun but far to short.
Go early because the bikers like it as well.

Oh and watch out for sheep wandering across the road

Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 AM

Try the Kyle of Lochalsh to Applecross, but dont look down )

Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Hi NeilB....I've upgraded your membership to full forum access, so you're good to go!
As for the best road in Britain? There's sure some great roads in Scotland.
The Fort William to Inverness road and of course Rannoch Moor heading up through Callander on thtrough Glencoe has some amazing scenery and a breath taking drive too are among some of them. If you ever get the chance you should check them out!
One of my favs has also been voted Britains most dangerous road...the A537 in the High peaks of Derbyshire known locally as the "Cat and Fiddle".....a real favourite amongst the biker fraternity and more than a few hundred of them have died unfortunately REALLY having a go at it.
Cat and Fiddle is ace, but these days it's full of traffic and bikes swarming along it. But at a leisurely pace as they've added average speed cameras every mile. It's awful. Not sure what's worse... bad drivers or speed cameras.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NeilB
or there's that bit going over the top of the moors towards Saddleworth off the M62 - I think its the A672?
A640 which intersects it is ok too. Some long blasts and some good twisty bits.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

M20 - Junction 11a exit. It's an absolute joy driving into Eurotunnel Terminal to get away from UK roads.

In the UK - from South Ballachulish through Glencoe to Tyndrum.

In France - the old N7 from Frejus over the Esterel mountains to Cannes

In Italy - the coast road from Sorrento to Amalfi

Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM

I love the Hwy 49 in the Gold Country of the Sierra Nevada Foothills....lovely twisties and nice places for lunch. Almost no traffic if you time it right! I have some videos of it uploaded and here in the video threads.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

IMPREZZME: Dangerous Road Part 1: Trollstigen Road in Norway

Not my pictures, I just googled them, but a pretty wicked road to drive, if there aren't any german camper tourist convoys out...

Try google images for more by searching for "Trollstigen".

Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Some great roads already mentioned here, in the UK I love the A640 across Saddleworth Moor and am really looking forward to driving across Ranoch Moor and through Glencoe in the Jag soon, hopefully hood down. My favourite road reasonably locally is from Stokesley to Helmsley in North Yorkshire - well worth a trip.

I like the sound of the ones in Brittany, will look out for the Guingamp to St Nicolas du Pelem suggestion when I am there this summer.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Woodhead Pass – A628 - Manchester to South Yorkshire

Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bedale to Settle via Hawes. Don't take your eyes off the road.

Dave

Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 AM

Buttertubs Pass (and then to the Tan Hill Inn for a break)

Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 AM

I'm surprised that there were no mentions for the Isle of Man. A Mecca for motor sport enthusiasts and NO National Speed limit. In addition to the annual and world-renowned TT motorcycle race, there's the Manx Grand Prix, Southern 100 and many car rallies, sprints and hill climbs held throughout the year.

The actual TT course, held on public roads, is 37.75 miles long with over 200 corners. You travel through some of the most scenic places in the world and also have the opportunity to stretch your legs over the Unrestricted Mountain Section.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Deltablue
I'm surprised that there were no mentions for the Isle of Man. A Mecca for motor sport enthusiasts and NO National Speed limit.............
So am I!

What a place to live. Has to be an incentive for you to get the XK8 finished.

Graham

Quick Reply: Best driving road you've been on?