Driving in Spain

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving to France annually from north south east west for the last 25 years without incident. Flew once to Barcelona and drove there. Each time I was robbed and attacked. I have drawn my own conclusions ! Adios, Espana !

Old 07-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a further story from the Daily Mail yesterday 27th July (someone has to read it) Will not give all the story, just what is relative to what has been posted here.
Gangs of highway robbers are targeting British tourists on holiday in Spain, (not entirely true because the robbers target any foreign or hired car). The number of British tourists ambushed on Spanish roads as soared as the euro crisis has deepened. The British Embassy in Madrid report a 10% rise in the first quarter of this year and this is likely to increase as the peak holiday season begins.

A hot spot for the gangs is the AP7 motorway between the French border and the Alicante region. More than 140 cases of theft on this route was reported to British Consulates last year, (note that is for last year and there has been a !0% rise in the 1st quarter this year) This is only at British Consulates and not any other countries Consulates.

It goes on to say :-

However, a spokesman said there were likely to be 'hundreds more' attacks going unreported across Spain because victims usually contact a British Consulate only if they have lost their passport.

I'll leave it at that, its just a reminder to be on your guard.

Dave

Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the reports on this thread before visiting the Malaga area of Spain last month. My wife left me at our car, while returning the shopping trolley at a supermarket. I was just about to get into the driving seat, when a car pulled up at the rear of the car and called my over to ask for directions to Malaga. I obliged and then found that my bag had been snatched from the tront seat of the car. My bag contained my passport and driving licence along with cash an credit card, which I stopped. I am still going through the process of getting replacements.

I was on my guard on route from France with camara in hand for if someone tried to stop the car, but I must admit I had let my guard down while we were shopping. We will NOT be returning to Spain.