Exterior Talk about your rims, bodykits, and other exterior mods here.

LED Project - Turn Signals and Tail Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LED Project - Turn Signals and Brake Lamps

thx h20. I'll post some pictures later. I just ordered them last night should be here soon.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Added a quick turn signal video.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up! But to add just LED brake lights for a X-type its going to need a resistor or is it just plug and play?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

That Review of LED's was great, I have seen so many on ebay as the OP said. Thanks for that review it helped me alot.

I put super bright LED reverse lights in the X-Type and it helps alot at night since I have darker tints I can actually see the backside of the car and everyone around know that someones backing up. Their Real Bright!

Also did a LED flat white strip for the license plate, since the led bulb replacements started flickering after about 4 months.

Couple Questions though,

I put LED turn signals in the X-Type tails and now the blinkers inside go faster, which I don't mind, actually like it better but will that damage the car in the long run?

Also I tried putting LED brake lights in the tails also, but found out that after I tested with just one side in (One LED), when I press the pedal the LED almost turns from bright red to a dim brownish burnt color. When I put in 1 LED brake on each side, they then go dim brown without even pressing the brake, What causes this? and can I fix it with the resistors?

Thanks for all the help, if anyone wants pics of what I was talking about I'd be glad to snap them.

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

- Dave

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

X-type will also require the resistor to keep the indicator inside the cabin from clicking faster...that's an audible warning to let you know something isn't right. If it doesn't bother you, it won't hurt anything, but i've found it can be annoying, especially for passengers who don't know whats going on.

As for your red-> brown LED bulb, something's not right there either. Post up a link for it, I bet its the wrong voltage, or wrong type of bulb.

Remember the brake/tail light is a dual filament (dual purpose) bulb, one meant to be hot when the indicators are on, and the other fires up when the brake pedal is applied. If the LED is not designed for that purpose, you'll get some weird results.

The following users liked this post:
cyoungxtype (03-13-2012)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Very usefull article, than you!

Greetings
George

Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
This image was lost.

If you ever get the urge, it really isn't that diffiucult, and i'll be glad to offer assistance. Just need to know which wire is which, and the electrical diagrams on the JTIS CD shows all of that.

I stayed up waaaaay too late last night...just couldn't stop writing. Little tired today at work.
I went in on this project on my 2001 xkr the turn signals were cake but the brake lights with the 1157's for some reason dont work when I hit the brake they work but when I turn the parking lights on the dont come on I have resistors that are 6ohm 50w I also get the bulb out code Im gonna order new bulbs because all four that I used had the same result. because the regular filiment bulb works. I also wanted to make sure Im doing this right you put 2 inline resistors on the red/blue wire? Could I ask what is the reason for that? Any help? besides trying new bulbs?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Veteran member

workoutman, got your message and let me see if I can help you.

Yes, there needs to be two resistors on the red w/blue stripe (double check your brake bulb's power lead in the 2001 electrical schematic, just to be sure you are loading the right wire). You could do it with one 12 ohm (or larger probably), but because that lead controls not one, but two, 1157 bulbs - one filament each. I was also getting a bulb out code w/o the 2nd one. I doubled what I had on hand, and it worked, but most likely would have also worked on the blue wire alone...since that was my bulb with the most issues (resistance). I think the resistance is measured by the computer on the return ground...but I'm no electrical engineer either.

Notice, I did not put an LED in the center always on, 'tail' lamp, in which it uses only one of the 2-filament 1157s (the low power one). I only did an LED in the outside bulb, the one that does both the 'tail' lamp duty, and the 'brake' lamp. If you did LEDs in both sockets, you'll also need another resistor somewhere, for a total of around 18 ohms. You could check the resistance using your original halogens, that way you'll be much more accurate on your resistor total, so you only have to use one, and you'll get the maximum light output of the LED while maintaining the minimum amount of resistance to prevent the computer from thinking there's a bulb out...not enough resistance.

Hope that helps ya!

Last edited by H20boy; 05-18-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Default Nice Plate, Waterboy

Nice Plate, Waterboy

Here is mine. Hope you like it.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Why of course I like! <insert secret handshake>

So a BMW owner, what steered you our direction Brother Red Raider?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM

I didnt notice the red Go Texas Tech on your signature, but I caught the green and red letters on the corner of your license plate; on top of the fact that it already has a big ol double t....What year were you initiated, graduated? maybe we know the same people.

Im here cuz Im doing a little preliminary shopping cuz Im thinkin its time to buy a grown up car. Ive had my BMW since it had 8 miles on the odometer and I belong to the bmw forums....so I figured a nice way to decide between a Jag XF and a Infiniti M was to browse their respective boards

Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 AM

...having done a LED conversion on my wife's SUV your post title caught my eye

Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts

I did a led conversion on my tailights with resistors but I have a small problem.
Both sides have the exact same set up i.e. bulbs and resistors but every morning when I use the driver's side turn suignal I get a bulb out warning in the dash even though all lights are working. The passenger side works flawlessly. The weirdest part is this only happens in the morning, later in the day no bulb out warning is triggered.

If anyone knows the cause of this or a possible solution I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Veteran member

Turn signal use and incorrect voltage drop should result in a faster relay clicking sound, not a bulb out warning. something else is wrong. I remember someone saying that the driver side leaper emblem on the front is wired for an actual turn signal repeater (maybe not required in some markets, and needed in others?), and the passenger side isn't; perhaps there is something wrong with that wire loom arrangement that is causing your issue. TBH, i don't even know what model or year car you have based on your post, so I'm assuming its an early (97-99ish) xk8?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for the reply.... I drive an 08 XKR and I actually converted to the 2010 tail lights with a kit that has resistors wired in already since pre 2010 use regular bulbs and the post 2010 are all LED.

So I get a "indicator failure" message in the dash with fast signal and clicking whereas outside the car lights flash normal.

It's only the driver side and only in the morning this happens... Drives me nuts!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 AM

Haha you are insane! A real light expert.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Great article!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

H2O;

Wow that was a brilliant and well controled set of experiments not to mention great write up.

Thanks a lot for all of the work, time and money.

I notice that your link to a five led on the end of the bulb has expired.

Do you have a new link or has there been any further progress in LED light bulb applications since your seminal work in 2008 that would be even better now?

Thanks again and cheers,

jj

Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

thanks jamjax! I've even shipped my box of LED bulbs to several members to let them 'test' the same bulbs I did. Since this project though, I've not replaced any of my bulbs, nor tested any of the newer designs. I bet they've gotten better, surely. If comparing my test bulbs to what is offered now, I'd pay attention to length and type of LED, I like the SMTs much better, it has a wider angle of light output.

Maybe this one as for a current offering? Can't see if the sides are flat diodes or bumpy like my very technical observation above on Pg 1

Definitely the same -> HERE

Good

BAD

Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Quick Reply: LED Project - Turn Signals and Tail Lamps