F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

2018 F-Pace door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 F-Pace door lock issue

Hello all
my wife bought a 2018 Jaguar F-pace and she loves it.
But there has been a few issues popping up lately.
A month ago we had a hart time to open the hatch. It said on the dash that it was open. But we never tried to open it and it was not open. When pressing the hatch button it still wouldn’t open. After a few days it started working!
now! Today! My wife drove to work and went to lock the doors. But it wouldn’t lock! Dash said Bonnet was open. Which it wasn’t. Now we can’t lock the doors because that warning of the bonnet ( hood) is open won’t go out

Old 05-12-2022, 02:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums superbond,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to F-Pace forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 05-12-2022, 07:08 AM
Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

At the front of the hood/bonnet there are 2 locks, one on left & one on the right. After you close the hood/bonnet do a simple push down on both sides by using the palm of your hand. If one of the 2 locks isn't fully seated, the sensor will think that the hood is still open. It is highly unnoticeable that one of the latches (locks) is not fully seated because the gap is only several inches short unless you stare at it closely. I found a trick to this to make it worked the first time. Stand in front of the car like you used to, hold the middle of front hood with hand both hands, lift it up parallel to your shoulder & let go of the hood. See how it works.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 05-12-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:22 AM
Default 2018 F-Pace door lock issue

I looked at the two locks under the hood. I sprayed anti-rust lubricant on both the hood and where they latch. Still says it’s open.
The funny thing is that the hood hasn’t been opened for awhile.
I will look at that. Thanks for the reply.
starting to see small gremlins pop up!😩

Old 05-12-2022, 07:31 AM

With all these gadgets & techies inside our vehicles it's great add on convenience to us but when one goes out of order & it will drive us NUTS, eh?

Old 05-12-2022, 08:18 AM

Yeah
Bit if a warning sign! What’s next!

Old 05-12-2022, 09:11 AM

Here we go! The didn’t take her car to work today because it’s raining. Ask me way! The wipers!!!! Will not work now! Really!
So for
- back hatch issue!
-bonnet/hood issue!
-wiper issues! Oh but the back wiper works!
I guess she can drive backwards to work

Old 05-12-2022, 09:28 AM

Wow, oh my, I'd suggest taking a voltage test using a battery multitester or some gadget that can take battery reading. It could be a sign your car's battery maybe low on voltage or is about to give up. Battery low on voltage? No juice to power up some devices. Keep us an update. Good luck

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 05-12-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:34 AM

I did that. Battery shows good. Alternator is charging also. Just haven tested the battery under a load

Old 05-12-2022, 12:23 PM
Received 6,365 Likes on 5,538 Posts

Does the auto stop start work?
If not that's a good indication of a dodgy battery.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:40 PM

Forgive me if I sound unintelligent. But what is the auto start and stop? Car starter app?

Old 05-12-2022, 02:22 PM

Check the wiper fuse. It might been have shorted out. I can understand the frustration driving in the rain without a wiper.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi SB,

Are you capable of doing a deep scan on the car?

Everything you're describing as not working or working intermittently has a common source, A deep scan will tell you if there are a number of B-codes for each of these failures, which point to the Body Control Module. But a deep scan will also tell you if there might possibly be a CAN fault (U-code{s}). Can Bus errors can manifest themselves in myriad faults, some or all unrelated. If you have a laundry list of codes including U-codes, the network will be at fault. W/O a network fault too, so far, all the failures you've described are coming out of the BCM.

I wouldn't spend much time right now on limit switches everywhere. That would be too coincidental. Then the wipers wouldn't even fit in that category.

To do a deep scan you need something more than a simple universal code reader. It will not pick up anything more than P-codes.

All the Best

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-12-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dionysus
Hi SB,

Are you capable of doing a deep scan on the car?

Everything you're describing as not working or working intermittently has a common source, A deep scan will tell you if there are a number of B-codes for each of these failures, which point to the Body Control Module. But a deep scan will also tell you if there might possibly be a CAN fault (U-code{s}). Can Bus errors can manifest themselves in myriad faults, some or all unrelated. If you have a laundry list of codes including U-codes, the network will be at fault. W/O a network fault too, so far, all the failures you've described are coming out of the BCM.

I wouldn't spend much time right now on limit switches everywhere. That would be too coincidental. Then the wipers wouldn't even fit in that category.

To do a deep scan you need something more than a simple universal code reader. It will not pick up anything more than P-codes.

All the Best

I might be able to borrow one. Might!

Old 05-12-2022, 06:04 PM

I own a number of scanners. Some are just powertrain capable. One of my "go-to" deep scanners that I've used with pretty good results on Jaguar is an Autel. It probes and records faults in 30 different modules.

Here is a scan I just did for illustration. Based on what you've been describing and if I am a good gambler, I've highlighted some "suspects" where you might find faults. Could be more too if the failure is CAN BUS driven.

If you can get this far, it will be a big help for you; otherwise, you can end up in the guess the parts replacement mode. Then, usually perfectly good parts get replaced and the problem could persist. Sometimes you can get lucky and guess right the first time.

One last question to probe - Have you, by chance, disconnected the capacitor module that disables the "auto On/Off" feature (described in another recent post here)?

Old 05-12-2022, 06:37 PM

No I have not.
And thank you so much for the scan information. My neighbor is coming tomorrow to use his scan tool. I hope it works as he told my he paid just under $2000 for it. So he could read codes on his BMW.
I will let you know what comes of it as I’m sure you are curious.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by superbond
No I have not.
And thank you so much for the scan information. My neighbor is coming tomorrow to use his scan tool. I hope it works as he told my he paid just under $2000 for it. So he could read codes on his BMW.
I will let you know what comes of it as I’m sure you are curious.
Yes, I hope you come back with what you find. I am interested to hear how it resolves for you.

BTW, realize BC I am new here, probably a good thing to say - I have no business interest of any kind in Autel. Just one of my many tools. I've had many Jaguars all the way back to a Series III, and one good deep scan tool I've had with older models like the XKs and the X350s was Autoenginuity. I stopped updating it years ago, but it too, was a good diagnostic tool.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:35 PM

I get it! Lol
So we have an extended warranty. Would that cover these issue?

Old 05-14-2022, 08:42 AM

So
my Neigbors code reader is only good up to 2017.
So we called road side assist and they are picking it up to bring it to the nearest dealership 9 hours away.
I’ll let you know what they find

Old 05-14-2022, 09:52 AM

Your nearest dealer is 9 hours away? Are you sure that is the nearest JLR? If you live in the USA that is about traveling to another state.
Where I live there are about about 6 JLR dealerships and they are just less than 1 hr away of each. And a new one just recently opened that is several minutes away from another JLR dealer.

OK, I need to re-edit and follow up to my message, I just realized you have an extended warranty which might be the case

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 05-14-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 F-Pace door lock issue