F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

2020 F-Pace SVR Glazed rotors at 4500 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021 | 03:06 PM
|
Default 2020 F-Pace SVR Glazed rotors at 4500 miles?

OK so I've been noticing squeaking under light braking under 30 mph and/or stop and go traffic coming from the rear . Now keep in mind that 85+% of my daily driving is on highway/motorway speeds 65-90+ , I downshift via steering wheel paddles getting off highways. My 2017 Rover Sport Autobiography didn't need front pads until 66K miles , and rears were replaced at 91K miles. the master tech at my dealer said he was amazed I got past the normal persons 35-45K miles of needing at least brake pads. That should give people an idea of % wise of how much I'm on/at highway speeds . Pre-covid I was doing an average of 86K miles a year supporting my sales team on the east coast. The SVR is 2500lbs lighter, and these brakes shouldn't sound and look like I've been on a nascar track beating the hell out of the vehicle for days.

Today I stopped at the dealer , tech said that he replicated my concern , and got worse and worse as he drove it more. He also noticed that the rear rotors are glazed and starting to see the front rotors glaze over. He also said that mine is the 2nd SVR they had to escalate to JAG/LRNA with this problem AND that Jaguar replaced the pads and rotors on another 2020 f-pace SVR and 5000 miles later same thing happened, but on hers the rear rotors were so glazed that it was almost like looking into a mirror.

I told them that I'm not going to deal with this , and that clearly there is s design and/or manufacturing issue with the brembro pads and/or rotors on these models. I told them I want it escalated up to Jaguar and to tell them they better come up with a solution/replacement because I'm not going to be putting pads and rotors on this vehicle every 10K miles because of their crappy engineering .

So now we wait and see what happens...

Anyone else with this issue?

Last edited by Cwazyeurodrivr; 08-05-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2021 | 01:04 AM

I have a 2020 SVR that is 27 miles short of 5K. It's my wife's car so most of the miles are hers. Haven't had any of the squeaking/squealing that others have reported and the rotors look good. Sorry to hear your troubles, but you're right. JNA needs to make this right.

The following users liked this post:
rshaver13 (03-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2021 | 02:26 AM

i would say you are right with the wait bit....
Has anyone checked brembo for the actual specs? Performance gear aint built for longevity - it is built to perform, F1 cars are basically rebuilt after practice for a race.
Car manufactures have been at this for years to get the sales to other cost cutting companies, with such statements like service free gearboxes come to mind - for example the rear diff on a landrover - dont need to change oil in that - diff manufacture, yeah change it every 50K.

I understand you paid top money and haven't got what was expected but i wouldn't expect Jag to say oh yeah that's just not right here is a free brake swap, they would have to do that fro everyone.

Old 08-06-2021 | 07:05 AM
|

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I have a 2020 SVR that is 27 miles short of 5K. It's my wife's car so most of the miles are hers. Haven't had any of the squeaking/squealing that others have reported and the rotors look good. Sorry to hear your troubles, but you're right. JNA needs to make this right.
Your wife's rear rotors are starting to look like mine did 1500-2000 miles ago. I'd suggest keeping an eye on them. When I get a chance I'll to take a picture or mine .

The following 2 users liked this post by Cwazyeurodrivr:
JacksonvilleJag (08-07-2021), rshaver13 (03-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2021 | 07:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by swalker86
i would say you are right with the wait bit....
Has anyone checked brembo for the actual specs? Performance gear aint built for longevity - it is built to perform, F1 cars are basically rebuilt after practice for a race.
Car manufactures have been at this for years to get the sales to other cost cutting companies, with such statements like service free gearboxes come to mind - for example the rear diff on a landrover - dont need to change oil in that - diff manufacture, yeah change it every 50K.

I understand you paid top money and haven't got what was expected but i wouldn't expect Jag to say oh yeah that's just not right here is a free brake swap, they would have to do that fro everyone.
I get it and understand completely what you are saying... with that said I've had 5 RR sport autobiography's , 3 full size autobiographies , on my 2018 Full size RR with brembo pads , rotors and calipers, LRNA had 4 ... 4 TSBs/recalls on the brake pads and rotors , every single 1 of them was a different designed front and rear brake pads, and went to larger rotors. all within 1 year of dealing with squeaky brake issues I dealt with squeaking brakes twice before on a 2015 and the 2018 ... and now 2020 f-pace....

Now not only have I been told by the master tech at the dealer they have another customer with the exact same issue same year, F-pac SVR, only difference is is that I have the driver pro package and hers is black on black, Last night I posted on 2 other Jag forms, and I've found 9 other people with the same issue. ... so clearly there is a brembo design problem with this vehicle application/design... which falls flat on Jaguar/LR shoulders because they are the ones that requested the design/parts from Brembo , and warranty said parts under the jaguar/LR agreement

Old 08-06-2021 | 07:49 AM
|

Here are the pics and before anyone says I drive too agressively or beat on it.... Would I be getting 24-26MPG if I beat on it? ... no it's be getting 10mpg .... see pics below. also There are 4360 miles on the vehicle.... close enough if you use trump bankruptcy math ;-)

rshaver13 (03-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2021 | 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cwazyeurodrivr
Here are the pics and before anyone says I drive too agressively or beat on it.... Would I be getting 24-26MPG if I beat on it? ... no it's be getting 10mpg .... see pics below. also There are 4360 miles on the vehicle.... close enough if you use trump bankruptcy math ;-)

That might be your problem....you're NOT "leaning on it" once in a while. To my experience, predominately light braking is what "glazes over" the rotors.

The following 3 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
JacksonvilleJag (08-07-2021), Nodnarb (08-17-2021), rshaver13 (03-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2021 | 04:11 PM
|

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That might be your problem....you're NOT "leaning on it" once in a while. To my experience, predominately light braking is what "glazes over" the rotors.

Come drive Boston traffic north to New Hampshire on a Thursday or Friday night... you'll use all 550hr and every inch of brake peddle travel dealing with morons in a daze driving home .. at 85-120+++mph.. I caught myself yesterday in the middle of 6 other cars , at 118mph ,something told me to move over to the middle lane and chill for a bit ... NH state troopers had unmarked cars waiting . Thank god I dropped it to 75 , then got 3 of the 5 I was with though

I get aggressive when I'm late , trust me adaptive cruise isn't used all the time ... there are times I'm on the brakes as hard as I'm on the accelerator

Panthro (04-10-2023)
Old 08-07-2021 | 01:26 AM

Your wife's rear rotors are starting to look like mine did 1500-2000 miles ago. I'd suggest keeping an eye on them. When I get a chance I'll to take a picture or mine .
I'll keep an eye on them. My wife is an aggressive driver as am I. Not to the point of being an asshat, but some aggressive braking often ensures biting into the rotor and prevents glazing.

The following 2 users liked this post by JacksonvilleJag:
bobjagbob (10-05-2024), Cwazyeurodrivr (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021 | 07:42 AM
|

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I'll keep an eye on them. My wife is an aggressive driver as am I. Not to the point of being an asshat, but some aggressive braking often ensures biting into the rotor and prevents glazing.

I purposely did some extremely hard breaking on the way home last night , 3 times 75 to ABS engaged , ***-end wiggling , nose dived into the pavement and collisional alert losing it's mind , 1 of the 3 times I did 2-foot braking just to really grind the pads into the rotors . The squealing/squeaking stopped ..... for about 18 miles then came back... and I'll say it again ... these Pirrelli p-zero all seasons 22' are complete garbage ! Micheiln needs to come out with 22s, vredistien makes a really good tire, even Nokian... I had P-zeros on my 15 F-type R and replaced them with the new Michelin's completely transformed the car. I F$#@@#% hate... hate the Pirrelli's that come with the SVR f-pace horrible tire.

rshaver13 (03-07-2024)
Old 08-08-2021 | 11:45 AM

Something is not right on on these pictures. Are your 4 wheels all jacked up when you took these pictures or are these in a normal state? The distance of the wheels to the car fender is in question. Comparing these to JacksonvilleJag's pictures looks a lot different.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 08-08-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2021 | 12:08 PM
|

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Something is not right on on these pictures. Are your 4 wheels all jacked up when you took these pictures or are these in a normal state? The distance of the wheels to the car fender is in question. Comparing these to JacksonvilleJag's pictures looks a lot different.

might have been the wide angle lens I had on with the SLR camera

Old 08-08-2021 | 02:17 PM
|

Still nice and glazed after 3 days of hard braking

Old 08-08-2021 | 03:26 PM

I don't have Brembo braking system on either of my vehicles. I've Google'd via "Brembo brakes squeaking" & I was surprised. It seems there has been discussions on "squeaking" to all brand of cars that uses it. What type of brake pad is in your vehicle? Semi-Metalic or Ceramic?

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 08-08-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Cwazyeurodrivr (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 03:35 PM
|

Yeah I'm not a happy camper right now.. Both rear rotors you can see a blurring reflection of yourself in the glazing of them right now. It's going in on the 16th for " 2-3 days " so they can send pics to JaguarNA and open a case with engineering . I plan on driving it daily to see if it gets worse and worse. I usually take my f-type a couple days a week to the office, but right now I'm only driving the space SV until it goes in on the 16th.

1st issue , brake squealing issue per the above ...

2nd I also told them I want the infotainment system updated , apple CarPlay updated . every 2-3 times I get in the f-pace it connects and disconnects to apple CarPlay for a solid 20-30 minutes , can't make calls, play music, use Waze ..

3rd thing , if I shut it off , run into a store or fill it up and get back into it within 10-15 minutes , I go to start it and it starts up, then immediately shuts off , then I have to hold down the start/stop button again and then it delays , starts up the dash screen and center screen again ... then start and starts up again .

Old 08-09-2021 | 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Just curious as to what you expect the rotors to look like? You have a somewhat soft, but abrasive material, the brake pad, rubbing against a much harder surface, the brake rotor. It's like the same effect of fine grit sandpaper against a metal surface, in that you wind up with the harder surface becoming shiny. I have 4 cars in my garage, all of them have 4 wheel disc brakes, and all 4 of them have smooth, somewhat shiny rotors.

The real question is how your brakes function. Do they pulsate, or "chatter", do they pull to one side or the other, do they squeal, and most importantly, do they stop the car with authority?

Old 08-09-2021 | 07:34 AM
|

OK , lets use your example ... If the fine sand paper is basically polishing the metal surface... ( Common Sense here) , then CLEARLY the abrasive material is the WORNG MATERIAL installed by brembro, requested by Jaguar/LR engineers. ... use google , it's a great tool before you look like a tool responding to a post....

Great you have 4 cars .... clearly nobody should be driving them because you don't know how to maintain them properly and/or what to look for. This isn't my only vehicle, there are 4 other cars in my garage. I've had more cars then the normal household and I'm a single guy... I keep my " daily drivers " for 3yrs or 250K miles . Even the master tech and the LR/Jag dealer whom I've known and had work on my 7 Range Rovers since 2004 , has said " you've got to be the most OCD , in-tune with your vehicle person I've ever met in my 34 years of being a master technician for Land Rover. " he's busted my chops about the wheel balancing being off .. I told him 1 time it was out of balance , he recalibrated the hunter road force balancer came back in the waiting room and said " how the f#$@# did you feel 1/2 an ounce out of balance? " .. I said " when you drive 250+ miles on average a day, you know and feel everything esp at 75+ MPH " , and BTW, he bought my last 2018 Range Rover Autoboigraphy from me with 318K miles on it " because I know how you broke it in, I know how you maintained it , I know how OCD you were about keeping it clean and in pristine condition. he still drives it today and says it's still the fastest , smoothest RR he's driven "

Now Yes the squeal... and when hard braking the rear end .. ( as stated in my posts above ) sways to the left and right BECAUSE THE FRICTION MATERIAL IN THE PADS IS NOT CORRECT AND NOT GRABBING THE ROTORS CORRECTLY ... What I expect out of a performance vehicle , designed as a performance vehicle , advertised and sold as a performance vehicle ... proper braking , proper durability , proper reliability of over priced brembro performance brakes . There is now 4657 miles on this 2.5 month old vehicle ... THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING... AND... AND... as stated above There is 1 other customer in the same dealership with the same problem on all 4 rotors ( mine is just the rear ( right now) ... and .... I have found 9 other people complaining about the same issues on 3 other forums.

With that said .... Again read my previous posts( above) where I said in 2019 , on my 2018 RR. full size autobiography , and ALL Range Rovers with the brembro brake systems, for a year LR and Brembro replaced front & rear pads, rotors, and calipers because 1000s of customers were complaining about brake fade , brake noise, brake squealing, rotors glazing ridges on rotors ... and LR kept sending out TSBs to dealerships to keep replacing pads & rotors WITH DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS because clearly someone didn't do proper testing of the materials and were using customers to fix their poor design & engineering . They replaced 3 sets of brake pads all with different part numbers and pad surface designs & friction material before the rotors stopped glazing, and squealing..... Now the F-pace SVR's are limited production , So there aren't many of them on the roads ... which means they don't have the data of issues going on... so here I am, exposing this issue....

Good day sir ...

Last edited by Cwazyeurodrivr; 08-09-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2021 | 09:45 AM
|

Update.... Just got a call from the service manager and Master tech ... as suspected.... Jaguar UK " Knows about this problem , and is working with Brembro , we've been instructed to order you 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads as a temporary fix , until they work out a different friction material ... We'll get those on order today and should have them in a couple days , lets still plan on Monday the 16th to do all this temporary work "

Old 08-10-2021 | 03:21 AM

My brakes work great.

Old 08-12-2021 | 09:05 AM
|

I'll be adding this( attached video) to the growing list of issues .... ( again ) , as well as
1: Brake squealing issue ( 1other known space SVR at their dealership, printed out many other complaints from 4 different jag forums)
2: Infotainment system not always starting up after it's been parked and locked for 5-18+ hours ( see video attached)
3: Passenger seat ventilation isn't working or randomly works
4: The startup & immediate shutdown issue I'm having after filling up ( 5-8 mines) or running into a store quickly and jumping back in ... which can be replicated most times
5: Incorrect MPG calculations in dash systems ( long drives it's telling me I'm getting 12.7mpg , when you do the manual calculations I'm getting 22-26 depending on the brand of 93 fuel I put in )
6: When turning on the seat cooling, the screen goes black background and as you select things it goes from black to white background color, or 1/2 the screen is black background, other 1/2 it white background
7: When pulling out of a driveway , between the driveway and street is a lower than the driveway 1-3" either the windshield or the sunroof is creaking
8: When gearbox is in sport mode , seems to be holding onto gears longer than it should, 5-6 times I've had to manually shift it to a higher gear due to the engine being near redline RPMs. Even though it was in automatic sport mode, NOT manual shift mode. Or I've put it in normal mode to get it to select a higher gear .
9: Has the update for the known Apple CarPlay connectivity issue been released?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.mov (2.74 MB, 46 views)

Last edited by Cwazyeurodrivr; 08-12-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2020 F-Pace SVR Glazed rotors at 4500 miles?