F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Boston, MA 2017 F-Pace

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 01:18 AM
KMG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston, MA 2017 F-Pace

Hi! I’m from Boston.., love cars. This is my first Jaguar and first SUV.

I have all season Pirelli tires, but still have trouble coming to a complete stop if there is even 1 inch of snow on the ground.

More glaring, when the outdoor temperature drops, something in the rear suspension knocks and bangs really hard.

Any ideas what’s causing that? I’ve brought the car to the dealer, but by the time I drive there, the car warms up enough and the banging stops.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome back to the forums KMG,

As you already posted an Intro in February, I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to F-Pace forum.

Graham

Old 12-17-2022, 05:39 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

106 Views but 0 Replies as I write. Let's encourage some discussion.

Most of our US members who express an opinion on Pirelli tyres loathe them with a passion. I can't get that excited. However, an 'all seasons' tyre is a compromise which will be OK in the dry and OK in the wet but adhesion will fall off rapidly in snow and ice. Nevertheless, I'm suprised you are finding difficulty stopping with a thin coverage of snow.

My F-Pace is on Continental ContiSportContact. Not my choice - that was how it was supplied. It rained yesterday then dropped to 8 deg below last night and the roads were like a sheet of glass this morning. Sliding about a bit but no problems stopping. Your tyre pressures should be OK or TPMS would give a warning but probably worth checking pressures and remaining tread depth.

Noise from the rear suspension could be:
1. Suspension fasteners loose
2. Damaged or worn rear suspension components
3. Rear differential internal failure
4. Worn or damaged driveshaft joint
5. Rear wheel bearing worn

As you can see from the diagram, it's a complex assembly. If the noise is only apparent when cold, the only options are to jack up the rear at home and check for possible noise sources or to leave it with the dealer so they can test drive it from cold.

Graham