F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Brakes and rotors on new F Pace

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and rotors on new F Pace

Why would my brakes and rotors on a brand new F pace need to be replaced at 14000 miles. I drive normally.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

If rear thats about average for light brakers. The bias is more rear for light brakers to reduce front end dive. Heavier gets more front. I would ask where theyre at because i will recommend if theyre close so you dont leave and then a short time later the pad sensor comes on for the "what i just had it in for service work. Why didnt they just do them then?" complaint.
And normal usage is purely subjective to the driver. Followed my ex wife to work one morning and counted the number of times her brake lights came on. 35 times to my 3. I keep distance and take my foot off the gas and cover the brakes but dont use them unless i have to.
On your rotors they may or may not be below minimum thickness, and might be below before the second set of pads need to be replaced. while i use to replace pads only many times, I quit doing that for too many returns complaining about brake noise. You may just be able to do pads but thats your descision then.

Last edited by Brutal; 08-20-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred Steinberg
Why would my brakes and rotors on a brand new F pace need to be replaced at 14000 miles. I drive normally.
Welcome to the forum Fred,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to F-Pace forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM

I can beat you, we just bought one. It has 320 miles on it and the dealer is replacing all four rotors and pads.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by jerseydevil
i can beat you, we just bought one. It has 320 miles on it and the dealer is replacing all four rotors and pads.
because they took off the rotor protection bags that are supposed to be left on till sold. When a car sits and humidity and rain make the rotors rust except where the pads sits. Now when driven the rust is cleaned off when braking, but now where the pads sat there was no rust and those spots are now thicker slightly and cause brake pulsating when braking. This is acutall the biggest issue with brake shimmy not out of round or warped rotors. Its excess paralellism

Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Makes a lot of sense. So the dealer has replaced all 4 rotors and pads. Seems they spent a lot of money for something so simple.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I can beat you, we just bought one. It has 320 miles on it and the dealer is replacing all four rotors and pads.
Originally Posted by Brutal
because they took off the rotor protection bags that are supposed to be left on till sold. When a car sits and humidity and rain make the rotors rust except where the pads sits. Now when driven the rust is cleaned off when braking, but now where the pads sat there was no rust and those spots are now thicker slightly and cause brake pulsating when braking. This is acutall the biggest issue with brake shimmy not out of round or warped rotors. Its excess paralellism
Yup, it's called "lot rot"......

Old 07-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yup, it's called "lot rot"......
yep, same with letting out the 50-60psi in the tires and having it sit. can flat spot the tires permanently, same with not keeping batteries charged. All the things that are to be done and not done till delivery

Old 07-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Tyres & Rotors

Originally Posted by Brutal
yep, same with letting out the 50-60psi in the tires and having it sit. can flat spot the tires permanently, same with not keeping batteries charged. All the things that are to be done and not done till delivery
I've just bought a 2017 F-Pace S which had only 80kms on the clock when the dealer picked it up !!! It had apparently sat in the original owners garage since he bought it while he drove around in a little Suzi. He is apparently trading up to an SVR - hope he drives that.
Anyway, once the dealer got it back for a full service & check up, they had to put a complete new set of tyres on (flat-spotted) and a new battery in it. I made sure oils were changed too as part of the service given it had been sitting unused for two years. Barmy.
I've not detected any problem with the brakes though which is a bit surprising as it was stored near the sea. Touch wood no problems there although there are still 2 years left on the Warranties. Only other issue I've found is the Navigation software out of date - the Aus/NZ update isnt available online, so the dealer will have to update the SD card. The F-Pace is a nice step up from my old 3.8 Supercharged Calais.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexF_PaceS
I've just bought a 2017 F-Pace S which had only 80kms on the clock when the dealer picked it up !!! It had apparently sat in the original owners garage since he bought it while he drove around in a little Suzi. He is apparently trading up to an SVR - hope he drives that.
Anyway, once the dealer got it back for a full service & check up, they had to put a complete new set of tyres on (flat-spotted) and a new battery in it. I made sure oils were changed too as part of the service given it had been sitting unused for two years. Barmy.
I've not detected any problem with the brakes though which is a bit surprising as it was stored near the sea. Touch wood no problems there although there are still 2 years left on the Warranties. Only other issue I've found is the Navigation software out of date - the Aus/NZ update isnt available online, so the dealer will have to update the SD card. The F-Pace is a nice step up from my old 3.8 Supercharged Calais.
For the edification of OS viewers a "Calais" is a tizzied up Holden Commodore.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
AlexF_PaceS (07-22-2019), Tp10XKR (10-31-2019)