F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

F-PACE class action

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Have the cooling system pressure tested to ensure no leaks. If none, then I would say 2017 is still pretty new. Play forward 2-3 years and then might make sense to proactively replace

Old 07-18-2023, 08:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

@Notwerb, Pressure testing will not necessarily reveal a leak. Both my 2017 F-Type and my 2017 F-Pace had loss of coolant that the test failed to confirm. Yet with my boroscope I could see evidence of a leak in the valley below the supercharger. On the F-Type the coolant system finally failed only a couple of weeks later at only 23k miles but luckily I was still under warranty.
I would not wait for it to fail. Due to the position of the coolant sensor and the fact that Jaguar software damp (a software transfer function) the temperature gauge to indicate dead middle temperature for the range ~180-226F to reduce customer 'anxiety' , then its possible that by the time the gauge indicates its way too hot (e.g 235) that if its a been big catastrophic leak and you don't notice quickly enough while driving, you may already have warped the heads or caused other issues.
It’s a shame the dealer said everything is ok while yours was still under warranty (just like mine did) as it could have been repaired at JLR's expense.

At a minimum change the upper and lower coolant pipes. This is a failure waiting to happen due to poor plastic welded (flanged) design parts.

Last edited by Simonusa0; 07-18-2023 at 09:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Notwerb (02-05-2024)
Old 07-18-2023, 09:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In an effort to be pro-active on any problem issue with my car I called an independent Jaguar facility and was quoted $2500 for complete pipe replacement including a new water pump, fyi.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Notwerb
In an effort to be pro-active on any problem issue with my car I called an independent Jaguar facility and was quoted $2500 for complete pipe replacement including a new water pump, fyi.
I wouldn't question that charge, as it's a big job. The frustrating part of this equation, is that it's not a question IF these old style pipes will fail, it's simply a matter of WHEN. Our XJ-L is a 2016, and when it was in for it's annual oil change, this past summer, I brought up the subject of these &^%$#!!!? coolant pipes, while the car's hood was open. The service tech looked at them and said, "Yeah, these are the old style ones"......

For the record, I'm BIG on preventive maintenance, but there's no way in hell I'd tackle this job myself. But I'm not in a position to drop the car at the dealer, and tell them to simply change the pipes, knowing it's a $2500 job. I did change out the coolant hoses on our previously owned, '09 XF, and it cost me around $150-175, IIRC. That's a FAR cry from what doing our XK will cost. But that car had the NA 4.2 engine. It was annoying to have to pull the intake manifold, to remove the hose that loops under the manifold (who the hell dreamed THAT up???) but that was nowhere near the grief that would be incurred, by having to lift the blower, along with all oof the other stuff that's mounted to the front of the engine..

Old 12-12-2023, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Jaguar 2017 F-Pace is such a great driving car, unfortunately my wife gunned it one day to avoid a accident steam was pouring out of the engine bay luckily she pulled over and waited for me to come and tow it home.
Trailered it to the Jag dealer as he was rubbing his hands together and said it'll take a couple of weeks as they where busy, got the phone call to say it was the O ring from the back of the turbo charge and they would have to take it off $4,000.00 later we got it back couple of weeks later the check engine light came on, we took it to the Jag dealer again and they said it was a leak from the symposium and we needed a new one as it was sucking air , didn't know what the symposium was so looked it up on utube so looking at the back of were the pipes are at the back of the turbo charger the tube was loose and stretched away from the main pipe!! Now the Jag dealer said the symposium was on back order and its been two months now and still waiting? they said its going to cost $4,500 to fix it, so looking on line I have seen a symposium for $230.00 ( new ) and thinking to myself perhaps I should fix this myself, but looking at where the symposium is it looks like I may have to take off the turbo charge to reach it?? so anyone know if there is a problem I will face taking it off?

Old 12-12-2023, 04:59 PM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Chipbuttie
Our Jaguar 2017 F-Pace is such a great driving car, unfortunately my wife gunned it one day to avoid a accident steam was pouring out of the engine bay luckily she pulled over and waited for me to come and tow it home.
Trailered it to the Jag dealer as he was rubbing his hands together and said it'll take a couple of weeks as they where busy, got the phone call to say it was the O ring from the back of the turbo charge and they would have to take it off $4,000.00 later we got it back couple of weeks later the check engine light came on, we took it to the Jag dealer again and they said it was a leak from the symposium and we needed a new one as it was sucking air , didn't know what the symposium was so looked it up on utube so looking at the back of were the pipes are at the back of the turbo charger the tube was loose and stretched away from the main pipe!! Now the Jag dealer said the symposium was on back order and its been two months now and still waiting? they said its going to cost $4,500 to fix it, so looking on line I have seen a symposium for $230.00 ( new ) and thinking to myself perhaps I should fix this myself, but looking at where the symposium is it looks like I may have to take off the turbo charge to reach it?? so anyone know if there is a problem I will face taking it off?
This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, you are better off creating your own

Simonusa0 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 10:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good lord, I had the Y piece give me some issues on my Jaguar XJL a couple years back, had no clue until I came across this thread today that THIS is a known issue and that it was exactly what happened with my car.

Now I have a 2017 F-PACE and am starting to panic lol, these Jaguars as you all know, aren't cheap!

So what am I requested be replaced with an aluminum piece again? What do I call it or say to the dealer?

Old 12-14-2023, 10:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure if my case would help you - I had the same issue with the Y piece, leaking coolant all the time, etc,etc.

My issue is I had the piece replaced by a "Non-Authorized" repair shop, as I knew it required lifting the entire engine out of the bay. Even through a non-Jaguar dealer, it cost me over $5-6k to get this one little plastic piece replaced.

Shortly after my engine must have over-heated and a piston / cylinder blew. The key point here is that they can point fingers at the mechanic shop and state this was their doing, but the key piece of evidence is the leaking fluid and that the mechanic correctly identified the issue.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Nightshadow,
sorry you had to deal with that.
Having replaced the lower (Y Pipe) and upper coolant pipes myself, I can tell you the engine does not have to come out. Hower the supercharger must be removed to get to the lower 'Y' pipe. My JLR dealer quoted me $2,600 for the job so your costs seem excessive unless the pulled the engine (unnecessarily?)
When I did the job I took the opportunity to replace the Supercharger coupler (torsional isolator) and its gear oil. Photo shows engine valley with S/C removed and the new 'Y' Pipe installed.

Supercharger removed showing the new Lower coolant Outlet pipe ('Y Pipe) circled.

SVR 575 (01-31-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm all for the installation of the aluminum pipes, and having a certified dealer do the job, as they should have the expertise to do it as quickly as possible. My only question would be if they'd A) be willing to do the work; and B) then stand behind the job, given the use of "non-factory" parts.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 315 Posts

sorry for your loss ,but now it has been resolved ,if your engine was ok i would install these for you for free,heres what i did in my video the same engine

SVR 575 (01-31-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

My dealer is quite happy to do work with quality non oem parts. But no - it's done 'at customers risk'. Ie they don't warrant the work as they can't be confident in their fit and reliability if it's not their part.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 315 Posts

dont worry your car will thank you ,no more coolant smell ,your car will get a couple hundred thousand more miles more ,dont forget a oil catch can on the low side of the engine ,in my next video ill show you guys

Old 12-28-2023, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Peterinio
I recently posted about my December purchase of a 2017 F-Pace S with 125,000km and subsequent catastrophic failure after only a week due to overheating caused by the deterioration of plastic cross over pipes under the supercharger. The vehicle was purchased privately so no recourse there. Before purchasing though, I had the vehicle thoroughly checked out by a Jaguar dealer, who says these things can easily happen without being detected beforehand. They also indicated that since the vehicle is out of warranty Jaguar is not likely to do much if anything.
There was no real warning that this was happening until it was too late. The heat gauge went from reading narmal to overheated in about 2 seconds and then it was too late. The dealer has indicated that it's 99% likely the engine is done which would mean $20-$25k to replace the engine. Since this event occured I have learned that this is a common issue with this vehicle. Constant hot and cold causes these plactic pipes to expand and contract and eventually break (around the five year mark), which is unfortunately what happened to me. The heat guage not providing proper information is apparently a known issue as well on this vehicle.
It seems that manufacturers of high end vehicles are not being held accountable for building vehicles that are destined to have major failures just outside of the warranty period. This situation appears to be very common and known to Jaguar which brings me to the reason for this post. I realize I am stepping out on a limb here but I am asking F-Pace owners that have experienced anything like this to reply or if preferred, to direct message me if confidentiality is important. This would be specifically for North America but it would be important to hear from anyone, anywhere in the world that has experienced these things. At this point it is necessary to understand how widespread this may be in order to determine the best course of action.

Thank you for your participation. Peter
Hi Peter

I am in Vancouver Canada and dealing with Jaguar north Amaerica over a blown Turbo on my 2019 Jaguar F-pace. They are not taking any accountability on the fact I first that this never should have happened. Also took to dealership as engine light was on and they never fixed properly .
I am beyond frustrated this could happen to a new car.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

First, your car does not have a turbocharger. It does have a supercharger - very different. I am trying to understand what you might mean in describing a “blown” (supercharger)….what exactly is the apparent problem, and what was the diagnosis by the dealer?
And the engine light: what was the cause? You say that the dealer did not fix it properly…do you mean that the light came on again? Was the cause a failed 02 sensor?
Finally, you say that “this” should not happen in a new car…but a 2019 car is not a new car….how many kms on the car?
Can you give more explicit information so we can comment more intelligently?
And this thread is about plastic coolant pipes failing…is that the issue with your car?

For the record, virtually all modern cars, not just Jaguars, use plastic components even in the cooling system.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
First, your car does not have a turbocharger. It does have a supercharger - very different. I am trying to understand what you might mean in describing a “blown” (supercharger)….what exactly is the apparent problem, and what was the diagnosis by the dealer?
And the engine light: what was the cause? You say that the dealer did not fix it properly…do you mean that the light came on again? Was the cause a failed 02 sensor?
Finally, you say that “this” should not happen in a new car…but a 2019 car is not a new car….how many kms on the car?
Can you give more explicit information so we can comment more intelligently?
And this thread is about plastic coolant pipes failing…is that the issue with your car?

For the record, virtually all modern cars, not just Jaguars, use plastic components even in the cooling system.
2019 Jaguar fpace diesel. Not under warranty. In June 2023 engjne light went on. Got it into Jaguar dealership a week later. They had it for 3 weeks and said my car was not cooperating and could not figure out what was wrong. They changed a filter...600.00 later and that was because I felt they did not really find out what was wrong. So got the 1000.00 down to 600.00. Engine light went on again as soon as I got home. Took it back and they had it for another 2 weeks and changed another filter for another 600.00. 2 months later driving car and turbo fails. I noticed on my first invoice that the code that came up was to do with turbo and it also said oil was gritty, and they knew I had an oil change 2 months prior. The car has 74,000km on it. Always been maintained and doing my research this happens a lot on these cars. Also major safety issue as car lost all power and was almost rear ended. Dealership is not taking responsibility nor is Jaguar north america

Old 12-29-2023, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Ah….a diesel version…now that we have the proper description of your car and the details, it makes more sense.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue but with a 2014 Jaguar XJ.

Further to my initial information. After much digging I was able to send a letter which was received by Jaguar North America and today I received an email and call from an Executive Liaison. The end result of the call was that Jaguar is not willing to assist because the vehicle is 2017 and out of warranty. The reason they gave was that if there was a manufacturers defect it would have shown up during the warranty period. I explained that the cross over pipes which are a type of plastic could outlast the warranty period but when failure happens it is catastropic. The manufacturer tried to save a few bucks using plastic where they shouldn't have. This means they knew full well what the result would be to the customer over a short amount of time, or they were just negligent. Either way they made serious mistakes that have cost, and will cost many Jag owners a signficant amount of money. I am now faced with either selling it as is, or paying an incredible amount of money first and then selling it. I feel awful for the many other unsuspecting F-Pace owners who have this nightmare to deal with in the near term.

I had thought I would have heard from more F-PACE owers about their experiences this way. Peter
I was doing a little look around before I sent a demand letter to JLR North America.

Is there a class/mass action started in the US?

best,

Brett Christiansen

Old 01-05-2024, 11:37 AM

I recently posted about my December purchase of a 2017 F-Pace S with 125,000km and subsequent catastrophic failure after only a week due to overheating caused by the deterioration of plastic cross over pipes under the supercharger. The vehicle was purchased privately so no recourse there. Before purchasing though, I had the vehicle thoroughly checked out by a Jaguar dealer, who says these things can easily happen without being detected beforehand. They also indicated that since the vehicle is out of warranty Jaguar is not likely to do much if anything.
There was no real warning that this was happening until it was too late. The heat gauge went from reading narmal to overheated in about 2 seconds and then it was too late. The dealer has indicated that it's 99% likely the engine is done which would mean $20-$25k to replace the engine. Since this event occured I have learned that this is a common issue with this vehicle. Constant hot and cold causes these plactic pipes to expand and contract and eventually break (around the five year mark), which is unfortunately what happened to me. The heat guage not providing proper information is apparently a known issue as well on this vehicle.
It seems that manufacturers of high end vehicles are not being held accountable for building vehicles that are destined to have major failures just outside of the warranty period. This situation appears to be very common and known to Jaguar which brings me to the reason for this post. I realize I am stepping out on a limb here but I am asking F-Pace owners that have experienced anything like this to reply or if preferred, to direct message me if confidentiality is important. This would be specifically for North America but it would be important to hear from anyone, anywhere in the world that has experienced these things. At this point it is necessary to understand how widespread this may be in order to determine the best course of action.

Thank you for your participation. Peter
Hi peter how can I private message you. I am going through similar with my 2019 jagiar diesel fpace. I am in Vancouver

Old 01-31-2024, 08:26 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

We are looking at a 2024 F Pace with the 3.0L, I have read the pipes have been upgraded, but have the defective pipes been effectively upgraded since these early model failures?

Quick Reply: F-PACE class action