F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

F-PACE class action

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 09:59 PM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575
We are looking at a 2024 F Pace with the 3.0L, I have read the pipes have been upgraded, but have the defective pipes been effectively upgraded since these early model failures?
There's a heap of info here if you search for it, this is a popular topic.

My understanding solely from what I've read here is that there have been some new pipe failures, but not as many as the old ones. I have a VW caddy that's having the exact same issue right now - sudden coolant loss from cracked plastic piping - so this is hardly a Jaguar issue like many make it out to be. Assume that you will have to replace plastic coolant piping at some stage.

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 06:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a big road trip scheduled for middle of February so I'm making a preemptive strike and having mine replaced next week. For reference I have a 2017 RS w/V6, 48K miles.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:43 AM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
There's a heap of info here if you search for it, this is a popular topic.

My understanding solely from what I've read here is that there have been some new pipe failures, but not as many as the old ones. I have a VW caddy that's having the exact same issue right now - sudden coolant loss from cracked plastic piping - so this is hardly a Jaguar issue like many make it out to be. Assume that you will have to replace plastic coolant piping at some stage.
Thanks Dango, if I pull the trigger on a 3.0 Jag or Rover and plan on keeping the vehicle long term I will have the pipes replaced just as the warranty expires.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Use aluminum replacements!

Metal pipes are the way to go. Once out of warranty, use the aluminum Y pipe and Crossover. Less than $100, and it will save you thousands, potentially, in repairs following an [inevitable] failure of the plastic parts.
The "veteran member" keeps noting that lots of auto companies use plastic parts - that may be so, but it doesn't make it right, or even a good practice. Just a cost-saving measure for the company. Aluminum will withstand the temperature variation and repetitive vibration better than polymer items almost every time.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:19 AM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sjones813
Metal pipes are the way to go. Once out of warranty, use the aluminum Y pipe and Crossover. Less than $100, and it will save you thousands, potentially, in repairs following an [inevitable] failure of the plastic parts.
The "veteran member" keeps noting that lots of auto companies use plastic parts - that may be so, but it doesn't make it right, or even a good practice. Just a cost-saving measure for the company. Aluminum will withstand the temperature variation and repetitive vibration better than polymer items almost every time.
And I've seen aluminum coolant piping developing pinholes and cracks from corrosion and oxidation, whether its plastic or aluminum maintenance and vigilance is required to avoid catastrophic failure.

Simonusa0 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 03:48 PM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575
And I've seen aluminum coolant piping developing pinholes and cracks from corrosion and oxidation, whether its plastic or aluminum maintenance and vigilance is required to avoid catastrophic failure.
Agree. My VW is a 2014 so I've got ~10yrs out of the plastic pipes on that car.. Not unreasonable to have to replace a few plastic parts every ten years.

There are a bunch of guys having issues with the o-rings on their aluminium replacements within a year or two of installation, requiring the job be done again.

​​​​​

Old 02-04-2024, 07:04 AM
JXR
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Notwerb
In an effort to be pro-active on any problem issue with my car I called an independent Jaguar facility and was quoted $2500 for complete pipe replacement including a new water pump, fyi.
My mechanic told me that the Jaguar temperature gauge was really an idiot light made to look like a gauge.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 315 Posts

Here's the Parts list VIDEO

Old 02-04-2024, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 315 Posts

Here's the Parts list VIDEO

Notwerb (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JXR
My mechanic told me that the Jaguar temperature gauge was really an idiot light made to look like a gauge.
Very funny, but the truth is this: Jaguar, in common with other manufacturers, has for years installed temperature gauges which always register as NORMAL any temperature (once the proper operating temperature has been reached) which the computers sense as appropriate within the circumstances. This, in effect, makes the instrument a “comfort gauge”, meaning that increases in temperature are NORMAL in given situations and recognized as such: high ambient heat, stop and go traffic, climbing mountains… it is only when the computers go into panic mode that the gauge will register an overheating situation. By then it is often too late to avoid damage, hence the (modern) rule that you shut the engine down immediately if the gauge registers a rise from the middle point.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:47 PM

Hey, Dennis. Thanks a heap bud, for your video. I wish I wasn't so old anymore and I would follow your lead. In the past I've done Alfa and Maserati complete rebuilds. But looking back on those days - oh my goodness! that was over 30 years ago!! Yikes!! Big reality check.
BTW, where did you get that cool air intake?
Any recommendations for a chip?

Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I don't think it's that the gauge doesn't work. Simply that it remains fixed in the middle as long as temp is within the normal range of operating temperatures. To avoid anxiety as it moves around

But - the challenge with a cracked pipe is that the gauge measures the temp of the coolant. So when a pipe cracks and the coolant all leaks out there is nothing left to get hot...

Old 02-08-2024, 03:32 PM
Thumbs up Hose replacement

I picked up my F-pace from the repair shop this afternoon. Total cost was $1,730. Highly recommend Portside Jaguar in Mt. Pleasant, SC.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My F pace sport jag.

Well all back in February 2024 I bought my 2017 f pace sport jag. No knowing all the issues they have. Not doing my homework before buying. I trusted a dealer I spoke with for 4-5 weeks from Ohio I bought this. He promised and sworn to me this vehicle would get me anywhere I wanted to go. It was his baby and any work it needed he had it donee. I needed a vehicle at my age I can’t afford to have gotten a bad vehicle. My husband drove me to Ohio to get my vehicle and to visit my momma and kids why we there. I moved to Mississippi in 2023 from Ohio. The Jaguar drove great for a trial run looked like new. I needed a vehicle to get back and forth to Ohio. Jeff the dealer says, this car will get you there and back many times. You will absolutely love this car. By the way this was in Washington Courthouse, Ohio. Biggest sack of crap of a person. By the way. I started home made it into Kentucky and the over heating light come on. I pulled into a gas station checked the coolant it was low so I added some. Waited 30 minutes to take off thinking I was ok. 15 miles in, same thing. I had no idea what to do or think. Using all my money to get this vehicle I was devastated. Found a place that works on Jaguars and land rovers. Called Jeff in Ohio and he is like I don’t know Robin I had it all fixed it shouldn’t be doing this. Liar!!! 2 days later I was told one of the shutters are not on it needs sensors and a heating core. But we can’t guarantee the motor isn’t blown if you get back on the road. I had paid $450 dollars for a concert that was coming up in Mississippi that was non refundable and was hoping I would be home within 3 days. Then I heard the news it may take 2 weeks. Went my money for my concert I saved up for. Now all the money in this vehicle. Devastating. Jeff said he would have it towed back to Ohio and he would have it worked on. On his dime. I had the vehicle for 4 days since I bought it. I ask him to take the vehicle back. I no longer wanted it. So my husband picked me up from Kentucky missed my concert, lost my money for that. Made me sick to my stomach. Car was in Ohio for 13 weeks by now. Per Jeff all is great parts it needed and the best mechanic around you will have a great running vehicle. Received my car back by a small truck and trailer on delivery was told I had to pay $400 per Jeff. Or they wasn’t leaving the car. Since I financed the car and so far with money down and all I have lost in 13+ weeks I am 10, 000 dollars out. All my savings gone. I finally have my car back. I see the engine light is on and I was told it just needed reset. Within 2 days I had someone put all new spark plugs in. It was running rough we thought. Engine light is off and driving 30 minutes, next day Boom. Engine light is on says overheating. Bought coolant cause it was low. Drove home about 10 miles no issues. Drove the next day within 20 minutes a driving says low on coolant then over heating light come on. Pulled over waited. Stared driving went to Advance to get coolant it was empty again. Filled it up and drove home. Still in my garage. Found this page talked to a mechanic about this he said he knows exactly what we was talking about. Now we are at a stand still until the next step of what it might cost and if I can afford it. Heart broken in Mississippi cause I can’t afford any if this nor if this will even fix the problem. Robin.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

^^^^ Sounds like you're caught between a rock and a hard place, as the old saying goes, since you live in one state and bought the car in another. This, obviously complicates things.

Did the seller, by any chance, provide you with any kind of warranty? If so, how long was it for? I understand your frustrations, and hate to be the one to break it to you, but if you scan through the various discussions on this website, you'll see that Jaguar V-6s, are notorious for "coolant pipe" issues, especially the pre-2018 models. Yours, being a 2017, unfortunately falls into that range.

If I were you, I'd spend a little time on the internet, and see if the State of Ohio has any "lemon laws" on their books, and if so, (I'd be shocked if they didn't!!), contact the Ohio office that handles this kind of issue. It might be through DMV, or it might be through the State Attorney General's office. They might be able to help you out. (OR, for that matter, maybe the Mississippi Attorney General might be able to step in and help.....)

Good luck!

Last edited by leadfoot4; 05-06-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:27 AM
Unhappy 2017 Jaguar

Yea, we did call the Ohio attorney general office. They said there is nothing that can be done. Heartbreaking for sure. There is no warranty. I unfortunately turned a blind eye to believing in Jeff. It is an expensive lesson. I am more ashamed of me for being an idiot.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Lillybug,
firstly, in any further communications with the people that attempted a repair on this car (Jeff?), you should be professional and speak to the facts no calling people a liar on forums. Even if true it doesn’t help your case. Give them the benefit of the doubt unless it’s indisputable. Do I understand correctly that Jeff is at the dealer that you purchased it from?
It is possible that they did a coolant repair, but that they didn’t catch all the places it was leaking or did not do the repair properly only to fail at the later date. These V6 engines of your age just like mine have early design, plastic coolant, lower and upper outlet pipes that become brittle and fail, and also heater plastic crossover pipes at fail too … Lastly, the water pump and thermostat housings can also leak. All this is repairable with well-known fixes, but can be costly as it is labor-intensive.
Any reputable garage will offer a warranty on their repairs. if it is a main dealer it’s usually one year. So I hope you received some paperwork that showed what they replaced? Even if not, I would call them first and explain that although they attempted the repair clearly it was not satisfactory. They have an obligation to fix it. Irrespective of what they say. I would follow this up in writing and ask them to arrange collection and repair. Alternatively, tell them you can find a local shop to effect the repair and you will seek reimbursement from them. If none of this works you should go through small claims court.
By the way, this has nothing to do with Ohio Lemon Law, unless this was a new vehicle within the first year of use! Good luck.

Last edited by Simonusa0; 05-06-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:42 PM
Thumbs down 2017 Jaguar.

I can appreciate you saying to be professional and I can appreciate that. But only if someone that tells the truth and is honest deserves that. Jeff did have the opportunity to get my car and repair it. 3 days after I bought it from after telling me me for a month how much this is such a reliable vehicle and nothing needs done to it. After 3 days Jeff did get this vehicle back and took it a reputable garage that does work on foreign cars. I was told by Kentucky what all was needed that also was very reputable what it did need. Jeff wanted his guys to work on it. Jeff told me don’t worry I WILL make sure it runs great for you. 2 months I get my vehicle back. 3rd day it overheats takes a gallon of coolant to get back home. I ask Jeff to tell me why he brought my car back with engine light on and it overheated within 30 miles. My son does detailing for Jeff so my son let me know who did the work. I called them. Very nice gentleman. His words was this. “ Jeff would not let him fix all that was wrong just what would get the car back to me. I ask Jeff, Why he would do this to me. His answer was I drove it and ran good. So please tell me how to stay professional with a man that sells lemons to people and sleeps at night. Especially to ones that take their savings to try and get a car to get them around in as I spoke to him for a month about how important it was to go to Ohio to see my mom who is 81-years old I needed something reliable. Yes. I blame myself. But I also believed and trusted in JEFF!!! So now for the 1st time in 63 years I won’t see my mother on Mother’s Day cause now after already spending $10,000 dollars more after buying my vehicle I have to come up with enough money to keep getting my vehicle repaired that I don’t have. So to you I apologize if I’m not professional enough. But people need to know when buying a car. Especially a Jaguar what and who will mess them over as long as this dealer can sell a car.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

As sad as this story is, it really comes down to very simple things: 1) this car, like every modern car, was built with plastic cooling parts - this may well have been a short-sighted attempt to save both weight and cost but it is not a “Jaguar thing”. Exactly the same situation might have happened if you bought a Mercedes or Audi or…and for the same reason.
2) you bought the car from a person who did not take the trouble to check the car completely, and who has not seen fit to correct the issues even after you returned the car to him. Again, this is not a “Jaguar thing”.

Not only did Jaguar redesign the pipes to prevent these issues, but there are also complete sets of metal pipes and thermostat units available to eliminate this problem permanently.

All of the above stated with regret that you have been mistreated; all this misery could have been avoided or substantially mitigated if the seller had been more professional.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:12 AM

Dealing with this right now, I filed a claim for them to replace the engine because I had a Jag mechanic (that the dealership referred me to) show me where they put too much oil in my engine when I had an oil change done in December. Within 2 weeks my engine started acting up and within 4 weeks of that, it was done for. He said too much oil can be just as detrimental as not enough oil. I found articles that backed up that claim. An attorney said to look into the DTPA (Deceptive Trade Practices Act). The fact that they know this is a common issue and do not make it known is very deceptive in my opinion. I keep cars at least 10 years which is why I pay for all the regular service maintenance, which I just learned, does not cover the engine parts which makes no sense.

Quick Reply: F-PACE class action