F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

F-PACE class action

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 10:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
. Comment for the original poster of the thread.
Have the cooling system pressure tested to ensure no leaks. If none, then I would say 2017 is still pretty new. Play forward 2-3 years and then might make sense to proactively replace
I had my pressure tested by the dealer and twice they found no issues with it. Two weeks later it blew. So I would scope under the supercharger. (
You can get boroscope cameras or ones that will Bluetooth to your phone on Amazon relatively cheaply) and go look for yourself. All you should have to do is take off the top engine cover. As in my case, there were telltale signs of pink crusty of dried out, coolant around the valley where the lower coolant outlet pipe also referred to his wipe pipe sits in the heads. I would also check the rear of each head where the heater coolant crossover pipe is situated and finally check around the water pump. If there are any signs of pink or orange crusty deposits, you have a leak. Recommend you do not wait to do it after your trip. If it fails, it’ll be a bloody nightmare.

Old 06-10-2024, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f pace

my best advice would be to sell the f-pace asap. mine just caught fire due to coolant and burned to the ground before the fire dept came. about 90% of it. jaguar dealer told me its a known issue about the coolant but jaguar is too lazy and doesnt do anything. that couldve been my life if i didnt stop and got out fast enough.

Old 06-10-2024, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Assuming that your message is serious, the fact that you had a coolant leak is not directly connected to a fire. The fire must in some way be related to overheating….but was there no warning by a coolant smell? No steam from the engine? No dash light? (when the dash light comes on, the engine temperature is already at a critical point and the engine must be shut off immediately to prevent massive damage).

Plastic coolant pipes are used now by most automobile manufacturers as a matter both of cost and weight savings. This is not a “Jaguar thing”. Clearly metal is a far better and more reliable material, and aftermarket metal pipes are available for both the 3.0 and 5.0 supercharged engines, and as I have just learned, Jaguar has also made a set of metal pipes. Good!

We have a 2017 F-Pace with the 3.0 supercharged engine. Several months ago it suddenly had a leak from the plastic rear manifold pipe. Symptoms? Steam from the engine compartment, coolant level in the reservoir dropping. Solution? Replacing the
3 plastic pipes with metal versions. Happily, no fire (I still can’t put together a loss of coolant and a fire)….

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Just Me (06-19-2024), leadfoot4 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Given mo24 joined today and that's his or her only post I am inclined to ignore. Lots of cars overheat. They don't catch fire and burn. Hard to believe it's a 'known issue' given how many Land Rover, Range Rover and Jaguar cars use these engines...

So I'll choose to ignore that post..

Old 06-11-2024, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
Given mo24 joined today and that's his or her only post I am inclined to ignore. Lots of cars overheat. They don't catch fire and burn. Hard to believe it's a 'known issue' given how many Land Rover, Range Rover and Jaguar cars use these engines...

So I'll choose to ignore that post..

I did consider that this was likely a trolling message….

Old 06-13-2024, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Maybe if the OP doesn't return with any support to the claim, the mods can delete these posts. Seems a shame for a quality message board to have spurious claims..

Old 06-25-2024, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peterinio
I recently posted about my December purchase of a 2017 F-Pace S with 125,000km and subsequent catastrophic failure after only a week due to overheating caused by the deterioration of plastic cross over pipes under the supercharger. The vehicle was purchased privately so no recourse there. Before purchasing though, I had the vehicle thoroughly checked out by a Jaguar dealer, who says these things can easily happen without being detected beforehand. They also indicated that since the vehicle is out of warranty Jaguar is not likely to do much if anything.
There was no real warning that this was happening until it was too late. The heat gauge went from reading narmal to overheated in about 2 seconds and then it was too late. The dealer has indicated that it's 99% likely the engine is done which would mean $20-$25k to replace the engine. Since this event occured I have learned that this is a common issue with this vehicle. Constant hot and cold causes these plactic pipes to expand and contract and eventually break (around the five year mark), which is unfortunately what happened to me. The heat guage not providing proper information is apparently a known issue as well on this vehicle.
It seems that manufacturers of high end vehicles are not being held accountable for building vehicles that are destined to have major failures just outside of the warranty period. This situation appears to be very common and known to Jaguar which brings me to the reason for this post. I realize I am stepping out on a limb here but I am asking F-Pace owners that have experienced anything like this to reply or if preferred, to direct message me if confidentiality is important. This would be specifically for North America but it would be important to hear from anyone, anywhere in the world that has experienced these things. At this point it is necessary to understand how widespread this may be in order to determine the best course of action.

Thank you for your participation. Peter
This exact thing just happened to my 2017 F-Pace S! Was not reading hot at all then started smoking from the back, felt odd so I pulled off the road and immediately the dash electronics went nuts and it just DIED!! When trying to pour coolant in, it just gushes out! Barely 70,000 miles!!! I am livid! What have you figured out to do? Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated!!! Jen

Old 06-25-2024, 05:38 PM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Jen G
This exact thing just happened to my 2017 F-Pace S! Was not reading hot at all then started smoking from the back, felt odd so I pulled off the road and immediately the dash electronics went nuts and it just DIED!! When trying to pour coolant in, it just gushes out! Barely 70,000 miles!!! I am livid! What have you figured out to do? Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated!!! Jen
Have it diagnosed and repaired by a mechanic. Impossible to give a solution based on "it died and coolant came out" although if you were able to identify where the coolant is coming from it might help. Regardless, once you find the broken part the answer is almost certainly going to be "replace the broken part." If one of your plastic cooling lines has burst, replace them all at the same time.

While it's easy for me to say while my car's running fine, getting angry at your car or an inanimate corporate entity will do nothing but hinder your progress. This is just another of the constant stream of problems that life expects you to solve 🤷 All this hoo-hah about class actions and lawsuits over part failures in five or ten years old cars is hot air and does nothing other than to waste people's time and increase the cost of vehicles for everyone.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 06-25-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jen G
This car, like most modern cars, uses plastic coolant pipes. They eventually fail. Modern temperature gauges do not report problems until the engine temperature is beyond what the computer determines to be NORMAL in the circumstances.
The solution is easy but not inexpensive. There are now metal pipes which can be installed in place of the plastic pipes - and this is well known. The failure of the original pipes is not obvious until the failure occurs (!) so replacing the pipes BEFORE an issue occurs is the solution.

Old 06-27-2024, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Peterinio
I recently posted about my December purchase of a 2017 F-Pace S with 125,000km and subsequent catastrophic failure after only a week due to overheating caused by the deterioration of plastic cross over pipes under the supercharger. The vehicle was purchased privately so no recourse there. Before purchasing though, I had the vehicle thoroughly checked out by a Jaguar dealer, who says these things can easily happen without being detected beforehand. They also indicated that since the vehicle is out of warranty Jaguar is not likely to do much if anything.
There was no real warning that this was happening until it was too late. The heat gauge went from reading narmal to overheated in about 2 seconds and then it was too late. The dealer has indicated that it's 99% likely the engine is done which would mean $20-$25k to replace the engine. Since this event occured I have learned that this is a common issue with this vehicle. Constant hot and cold causes these plactic pipes to expand and contract and eventually break (around the five year mark), which is unfortunately what happened to me. The heat guage not providing proper information is apparently a known issue as well on this vehicle.
It seems that manufacturers of high end vehicles are not being held accountable for building vehicles that are destined to have major failures just outside of the warranty period. This situation appears to be very common and known to Jaguar which brings me to the reason for this post. I realize I am stepping out on a limb here but I am asking F-Pace owners that have experienced anything like this to reply or if preferred, to direct message me if confidentiality is important. This would be specifically for North America but it would be important to hear from anyone, anywhere in the world that has experienced these things. At this point it is necessary to understand how widespread this may be in order to determine the best course of action.

Thank you for your participation. Peter
Yes Peter I to am facing the same problem. I drove a 100 miles to visit my mother and the next thing I know was the engine started running hot and the temperature gauge shot up. I pulled over asap and called a tow truck. I finally got my 2017 f pace s to the Jaguar dealership. They told me my water pump failed and cracked the head of my engine the seals are gone. The car only has 50,000 miles I bought the car from a dealership and only had it for a year. My engine is damaged just within two minutes of it running hot.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:34 PM

Hi all. New here and new to the F-Pace. We are picking up a new to us Mint 2018 on Tuesday, with 85k miles. Owner is a family friend and has 0 issues since new. Has this been resolved (for the most part) in 2018….most of the complaints seem to be from 2017 models.

thanks

Old 07-06-2024, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Regardless of the model year, the car will have plastic coolant pipes. At 85,000 miles the engine has been through an enormous number of heating/cooling cycles. There are now metal pipes to replace the plastic, failure-prone pipes. It is far more than a good idea to replace the plastic pipes with metal pipes before they start to leak. The result of a cracked plastic pipes can be serious .

check the Euro Amp website for information about replacement pipes for the 3 litre supercharged engine.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Peterinio did you ever get anywhere with the class action lawsuit?

Coolant leaks leading to overheating are not necessarily something we can sue Jaguar over. However, the temperature gauge going into the red zone and “engine overheating” message on the dashboard should give an owner enough time to pull over before catastrophic engine failure.

My coolant system popped, steam started
coming out of the engine bay, and within 5 seconds I made it to the side of the highway and shut the engine off. Wasn’t fast enough. Catastrophic engine failure.
I now have a remanufactured engine after $20k.

Keeping the temperature gauge dead center until the very last second of it hitting catastrophic temperatures seems like the culprit here.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Regardless of the model year, the car will have plastic coolant pipes. At 85,000 miles the engine has been through an enormous number of heating/cooling cycles. There are now metal pipes to replace the plastic, failure-prone pipes. It is far more than a good idea to replace the plastic pipes with metal pipes before they start to leak. The result of a cracked plastic pipes can be serious .

check the Euro Amp website for information about replacement pipes for the 3 litre supercharged engine.
That's true, and I agree with you. However, the labor involved in replacing the OE pipes, is significant, therefore costly. Having to spend the money, to correct what is essentially a questionable, OE design, on a car that is fairly expensive to begin with, is rather insulting to the vehicle's owners.