F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

How many of you would really buy F-Pace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
That 16 gallon tank is also a REAL deal breaker. So much for being a highway long distance cruiser when you have to stop every 350 or so miles.
Does't look like there is a Tesla in your future.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy

Jaguar will also mean "cars" to me not trucks/crossovers.

Cheers,
Wolfy
I think these crossovers are a compromised off road vehicle because so many people don't go off road. They are a compromised road vehicle because of their off-road capabilities which are not needed. They are also compromised for internal comfort and space due to all the ground clearance and huge wheels.

Rather than follow the herd and shouting about it's iPhone compatibility they should design a Jag family car. Nice and tall so you have an upright seating position. Loads of leg room, nice and wide, no central consol. Normal sized wheels and suspension travel for purely road use, not super skinny tyres, normal ones. RWD or 4WD, no FWD.

A car that's big inside and comfortable, fast and economical on the road. A sort of people carrier that just carries 5 large adults not 7 but the size of the 7 seaters. Leave off roading to Landrover.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

350mi is about the distance between L.A. and San Francisco. Conceivably you'll get even more mpg and range if you turn on cruise control, so a 16-gal tank is no problem at all.

But seriously, for a long road trip I would rent a car instead of racking up more wear and tear on my own cars but that's just me. For a recent 550-mi trip to Ojai and San Diego we rented a Lexus SUV from Turo.com (kind of like the 'Uber' of car rentals) it was great!

Cheers,
Wolfy

Last edited by Wolfy; 03-31-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by wayland
I think these crossovers are a compromised off road vehicle because so many people don't go off road. They are a compromised road vehicle because of their off-road capabilities which are not needed. They are also compromised for internal comfort and space due to all the ground clearance and huge wheels.

Rather than follow the herd and shouting about it's iPhone compatibility they should design a Jag family car. Nice and tall so you have an upright seating position. Loads of leg room, nice and wide, no central consol. Normal sized wheels and suspension travel for purely road use, not super skinny tyres, normal ones. RWD or 4WD, no FWD.

A car that's big inside and comfortable, fast and economical on the road. A sort of people carrier that just carries 5 large adults not 7 but the size of the 7 seaters. Leave off roading to Landrover.
You are right you should not compromise you should not buy a vehicle that does not suit your needs. I think you should go to an XE, XF or XJ forum and give them a piece of your mind. Maybe they will build a car for like minded people to meet your expectations. Other than that most of us like this forum because it is all about the FP and not the XE, XF or XJ.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by MKenM
You are right you should not compromise you should not buy a vehicle that does not suit your needs. I think you should go to an XE, XF or XJ forum and give them a piece of your mind. Maybe they will build a car for like minded people to meet your expectations. Other than that most of us like this forum because it is all about the FP and not the XE, XF or XJ.
The thread title asked the question and was inviting comment, which I did. If you can't argue why the PF is good in your response to me then you should stay off this thread to save you from making responses like the above.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 PM

I'm not here to argue but title of this thread is "How many of you would really buy F-Pace?" You obviously are not interested in a F Pace. My point is if you want a better sedan then you should post something on the respective site. To my recollection most (at least 50%) of the SUV/CUV market vehicles never get used off road but are liked because of style, size and comfort.

Although input is always appreciated relevancy also helps.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MKenM
I'm not here to argue but title of this thread is "How many of you would really buy F-Pace?" You obviously are not interested in a F Pace. My point is if you want a better sedan then you should post something on the respective site. To my recollection most (at least 50%) of the SUV/CUV market vehicles never get used off road but are liked because of style, size and comfort.

Although input is always appreciated relevancy also helps.
And then you argue. Fine. Except you don't seem to understand the title is "How many of you would really buy F-Pace?" You read it yet you don't get it. It's not saying; "Only post here if you are going to buy an F-Pace", the question can have both positive and negative responses except you get upset at my negative response and tell me to go away.

The crossover type cars have the potential to be more comfortable than a saloon but they tend to spoil it by wasting the space inside. I feel the crossover concept is old news and Jaguar are simply joining the bandwagon at a late stage.

At this point you tell me my opinion is not valid and that other more worthy people than me have better opinions than myself. Don't make me laugh.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

And then you argue. Fine. Except you don't seem to understand the title is "How many of you would really buy F-Pace?" You read it yet you don't get it. It's not saying; "Only post here if you are going to buy an F-Pace", the question can have both positive and negative responses except you get upset at my negative response and tell me to go away.
As the OP who started this thread, I was ambivalent about Jaguar's new crossover and wanted to hear both the pros and cons. I am not anti-crossovers per se but just the idea of a traditional maker of saloon cars going into the 'high-body' car business like everybody else. I remember in the 1990's when I got my first Series-III VDP Jaguar it felt pretty special and exclusive, even the repair shops considered it an "exotic car". Today Jaguar I feel is diluting its brand with so many different models and variations on the same model trying to cover all socioeconomic bases (think Mercedes). Also, that 'brand-identity' grill thing on all the Jaguar models is getting a bit long in the tooth.

We rented a Lexus RX crossover for our recent road trip. It was great. Americans love their SUV's and crossovers and so do the carmakers (Mercedes GLA is called a 'crossover' even though it's less than 1 inch taller than a Hyundai Sonata). I am just not too keen about a 'Jaguar crossover'.

Peace out.
Wolfy

Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
...Today Jaguar I feel is diluting its brand with so many different models and variations on the same model trying to cover all socioeconomic bases (think Mercedes). Also, that 'brand-identity' grill thing on all the Jaguar models is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Wolfy
I remember when I first saw a Mercedes with plastic hubcaps trying to look like alloy wheels in the 1990's. I realised that they were selling out their brand image to make a few bucks off the reps who normally buy Vauxhall Cavaliers. This makes money but only works for a while. When a cheap car maker then makes it's cheap cars with upmarket class and quality the classy car maker has no where to go. I rented a Vauxhall Vectra last year, it was very impressive, not like the usual Vauxhall plastic with bits falling off.

Jaguar may well make a good crossover but unless it's better than everyone elses we don't need it. If Jaguar become a mini-me Toyota then they will lose because Toyota are better at making a variety of solid no-nonsense motors.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I remember when I first saw a Mercedes with plastic hubcaps trying to look like alloy wheels in the 1990's. I realised that they were selling out their brand image to make a few bucks off the reps who normally buy Vauxhall Cavaliers. This makes money but only works for a while. When a cheap car maker then makes it's cheap cars with upmarket class and quality the classy car maker has no where to go. I rented a Vauxhall Vectra last year, it was very impressive, not like the usual Vauxhall plastic with bits falling off.

Jaguar may well make a good crossover but unless it's better than everyone elses we don't need it. If Jaguar become a mini-me Toyota then they will lose because Toyota are better at making a variety of solid no-nonsense motors.
Are you really equating using plastic hubcaps to the same as bringing out an all new vehicle?

The fact of the matter is that SUVs/CUVs are on fire and Jaguar would be daft not to offer one. Everyone lambasted the Cayenne when it came out but it seems to be helping their bottom line and letting them continue to improve on their cars. Win win.

The following users liked this post:
Plainsman (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I'll just keep our Subaru Outback 3.6R, thank you. Arguably the best bang-for-the-buck crossover in the marketplace, and resale value is at the top of the list as well....

I do wish Jaguar success with the F-Pace, though. It may be the last chance to keep their sales numbers from slipping into an unrecoverable abyss....

Old 04-03-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I'll just keep our Subaru Outback 3.6R, thank you. Arguably the best bang-for-the-buck crossover in the marketplace, and resale value is at the top of the list as well....

I do wish Jaguar success with the F-Pace, though. It may be the last chance to keep their sales numbers from slipping into an unrecoverable abyss....
I know one month doesn't say a thing but March was Jaguar's highest sales month in the last 6 years. These next couple of years will be telling.

Last edited by Bellanca_XF; 04-03-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

It may be the last chance to keep their sales numbers from slipping into an unrecoverable abyss....
It cracks me up when people repeat the idea that Jaguar is near failure. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sales of about half a million units are expected for the 2017 model year, up substantially from a decade ago, with build quality now considered equal to the top Japanese and German brands (a far cry from the miserable vehicles put out for decades). In terms of its financial strength, Jaguar is probably in its best position in history.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Are you really equating using plastic hubcaps to the same as bringing out an all new vehicle?
No you are and it's also a stupid suggestion.

I forget which model Merc had these cheap hubcaps but bringing out a cheap model cheapened the brand. If the car was too expensive for some that made it more attractive to the people who could afford it.

The huge Porsche thing is ugly and horrible. They probably needed to bring it out because their sports cars are dated and undesirable. Fortunately there are plenty of people who want a huge ugly car that's pretending to be a Porsche.

Landrover make some good 'crossover' cars because they know about off roading. Subaru probabably make the best.

Jumping into the SUV market because it's hot right now is lame. Those cars are stupid and the demand for them is stupid too. People will soon figure this out and those who have just entered that market will wish they had thought of a better type of car.

Following everyone else is what the sheep do not what the predator does.

Maybe I should remove the Leaping Jaguar from my bonnet and put a leaping Ram on there instead?

Last edited by wayland; 04-03-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 AM

No you are and it's also a stupid suggestion.

I forget which model Merc had these cheap hubcaps but bringing out a cheap model cheapened the brand. If the car was too expensive for some that made it more attractive to the people who could afford it.

The huge Porsche thing is ugly and horrible. They probably needed to bring it out because their sports cars are dated and undesirable. Fortunately there are plenty of people who want a huge ugly car that's pretending to be a Porsche.

Landrover make some good 'crossover' cars because they know about off roading. Subaru probabably make the best.

Jumping into the SUV market because it's hot right now is lame. Those cars are stupid and the demand for them is stupid too. People will soon figure this out and those who have just entered that market will wish they had thought of a better type of car.

Following everyone else is what the sheep do not what the predator does.

Maybe I should remove the Leaping Jaguar from my bonnet and put a leaping Ram on there instead?
Someone sounds angry. It seems rather than Jaguar adapt you would see them leave the industry for sake of purity. They're a business, businesses are out to make money. They all have their own ethos but at the end of the day if that isn't working it's time for a change or they can close up shop.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Swimref,

I never said nor implied that Jaguar is near failure. But there's no denying that their sales numbers have lagged during the past few years. Projected sales are exactly that - projected, not actual. Ford ownership saved Jaguar from history's scrap heap a decade ago. It remains to be seen if Tata ownership can do the same....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-03-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I'm definitely interested in an F Pace within the next year or two as a replacement for an aging mid-size Lincoln SUV. Of absolute necessity is the capability of towing a boat and trailer of about 3500lbs.

The Jag site does mention a limit of around 5K lbs, but little else. Anybody know if a factory installed towing package is available?

Old 04-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Swimref,

But there's no denying that their sales numbers have lagged during the past few years. Ford ownership saved Jaguar from history's scrap heap a decade ago. It remains to be seen if Tata ownership can do the same....
There is plenty of denying it, since it is completely untrue. Jaguar sales have grown each year since the introduction of the modern line with the XF in 2008 and the discontinuance of the badly dated older designs. Jaguar is now one of the fastest growing brands in the world. Yes, Ford did rescue Jaguar from deplorably low quality. Tata has continued the job brilliantly and built the brand much larger and stronger.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

mmmm... " badly dated older designs" - - I wish they still had the flowing, sexy lines of the C-type, the E-type, and even the generation of XK that I own. I think the current aesthetic is too boxy, too aggressive, too muscular looking. That said, I am still buying an F-Pace.

Last edited by theweeb; 04-03-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never desired a Subaru. They just aren't attractive. Practical, perhaps, but not attractive. The F-Pace is both practical and attractive. Not everyone makes a car decision based on "bang for the buck," which to me is a euphemism for cheap or inexpensive, although there is nothing wrong with cheap or inexpensive. Many people select their vehicles based on "passion" rather than resigning themselves to bang for the buck. The Jaguar F-Pace elicits passion, emotion from it's customers. It isn't just an appliance. It's a place to be to have an experience. I picked my wife for the same reason--passion, emotion, not because she represented the most sensible deal.

Quick Reply: How many of you would really buy F-Pace?