F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Mods can affect your factory warranty!!! beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods can affect your factory warranty!!! beware

Took my 2020 F pace S to the dealer to check out the AC not cooling until the engine get's up to temperature. This didn't happen all the time, but only once every couple weeks.
The service advisor and I were in agreement that the service is still under warranty as the car only had 33k miles on it.
Apparently the "master technician" opened up the hood and immediately saw that I had installed a cold air kit on it and crank pulley.
the service advisor called me and asked if I had done a tune on it. I said no, I didn't want to affect the factory warranty.
he said ok because they had to upload a software to fix a factory recall with fuel evap system. Then they called later that day and said my warranty was voided due to the fact that the engine had been modified.
Rather than closing the hood after they discovered the mods and telling the service advisor to call me and let me know my warranty could be voided, they continued to purge and recharge that ac system and fixed the evap system. Then they accused me of breaking something in the hvac when I replaced the cabin filter and told me it wouldn't be under warranty due to mods and gave me an estimate of $5,500 and $452 charge for the AC recharge.
I could have brought the car back home, swapped out the pulley and done.
but, no, the rat technician had to record the mods and void my warranty even though none of the mods had anything to do with what was wrong.
now I have to fight with JLR warranty division to get my warranty reinstated.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Frequently, that's been the case for ANY vehicle, no matter the manufacturer, for a long time. I'm rather surprised that you weren't aware of this. Secondly, Jaguar now has a policy that whenever a car, especially one under warranty, is in for service, the dealer hooks up a laptop to the car, A) to upload any software updates; and B) make note of the service work performed. Although I'm not completely certain, I have a feeling that this "scan" will also determine if any "funny stuff" has been done to the vehicle..............

Old 05-20-2024, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.You are protected by Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. I am not sure why dealers are trying so hard to lose their customers. Couple bad google reviews maybe could change their position.
2.I brought my tuned SVR with 6k miles for a recall (2nd key was not available from the factory) also had both pulleys installed. After adding 2nd key, the code (modified ecu) is no longer present.
3.This intake is garbage, you are losing not gaining HP. Hotter air/ less hp, higher fuel consumption, higher chance of detonation.

The following users liked this post:
bobjagbob (07-02-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
3.This intake is garbage, you are losing not gaining HP. Hotter air/ less hp, higher fuel consumption, higher chance of detonation.
I fully agree. The only way for making stock intake a little bit better (performance wise) is wrapping it with some insulation tape.
Plus the coolant level is below the low mark so I would also report that to the technicians

Last edited by Pepix; 05-21-2024 at 04:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pepix:
bobjagbob (07-02-2024), Wally10 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 01:18 PM

After going up the ladder in Autonation , they said ok....your mods don't affect the HVAC issue, but you broke something when you replaced your cabin air filter. so now the dealer went back to the excuse that I broke something when I replaced the cabin air filter and it's not covered under warranty. Let's say I did break something, which I didn't....but how would that affect the temperature? I went thru the front cowl under the windshield. The air blows just fine, it's just not blowing cold air sometimes after initial startup. When replacing the cabin air filter, I Had no issues . Had plenty of room to get my arm in there and pull the old filter and install the new one. Now, they said after going up the chain of command, my mods engine have no effect on the ac system. They're offering me $1,200.00 towards the repair. The 20 year master mechanic couldn't even snap the cover back on correctly ....TWICE. when I was at the dealer. BTW....I replaced the cabin air filter AFTER this problem, so I didn't create the problem...or did I ? Does anyone know if there is any possibility that replacing a cabin air filter can affect HOT/COLD situation? I didn't force or bang on anything.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:14 AM

Mods will only affect the warranty of what was modified or a direct result of the modification.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:59 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

What was the "something" you allegedly broke?

Old 07-03-2024, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
What was the "something" you allegedly broke?
towards the end of the debate with the so called "master mechanic", I told him the only thing I did 1 week before I brought it in was that I changed the cabin air filter.
He then told me that by doing that, I put the car into "service mode" which was BS because the "service mode" was actually just a reminder that due to the mileage, I needed to service the car in 750 miles for oil change or standard service interval. Then he accused me of breaking something ....didn't say what, by changing the cabin air filter and that's what caused my issue. I then asked, well, If I broke something, why was the problem there before I allegedly broke something? They just don't want to claim warranty work because it's too much paperwork and it's easier for them to just bill me directly and have me throw a credit card at them. This dealership "Auto Nation" is shady. My ex had her issues with them too. Catching them lying about how her car was 100% inspected before she bought it. Then 3 months later her brakes sounded like someone running their fingernails down a chalkboard. Then her car was in their shop for almost 2 months for brakes. Then 2 months later, same thing. She brought it back in and they said her rotors were shot which they supposedly fixed before.