F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Oil Level Critically Low Warning 2.0 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Level Critically Low Warning 2.0 Diesel

Hi Everyone,

I have 2017 2.0L Diesel F-Pace that has recently started showing "Engine Oil Level Critically Low" warning light once the vehicle has come up to temperature (driving for about 30 minutes) only when I come to a stop. But disappears again when I start driving.

Now... the 2.0L Diesel has an actual dipstick, and my dealership says it doesn't actually come equipped with an oil level sensor (nothing available in the vehicle information menu). So it is a mystery light. Oil levels have always been fine on the dipstick, and the oil was just changed the other day and the dealership says that that light would have been about the "quality of the oil" because it was a little bit past its service required time and should now go away because the fresh oil change. This didn't make sense to me as the light is a critical warning.

But of course, driving it again now after the oil change I still get this light coming on.

Anyone else with this same setup seeing this warning light?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:34 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

"my dealership says it doesn't actually come equipped with an oil level sensor"

Well then, how can it give you an error message if there is no sensor?
Have an independent mechanic put the car on a hoist and look to see if it has a sensor attached to the oil pan (https://www.ebay.com/itm/163537242270). If it does, then it may need a new sensor or the wiring connection may just need cleaning.

Here are the part numbers:

FORD OE NUMBERS 8W936C624BF, 8W936C624BG
JAGUAR OE NUMBERS AJ812432
LAND ROVER OE NUMBERS LR012640

If you do need a new sensor prices vary considerably, so shop around for the best deal.

Stu

Old 02-01-2022, 02:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums brcwane,

Jaguar specifications vary across World markets so it's never sensible to be dogmatic but the oil monitoring on your 2.0D is likely to be the same as on my European specification 2.0P.

LEVEL is checked only by dipstick and there is no electronic system to display level in the Instrument Pack as there is on my XK.

The only red oil warning lamp is for PRESSURE as explained in the Owner's Handbook but doesn't come with that message!

It's a suspicious coincidence this has happened after a recent oil change. The attributes measured for the oil are:
1. level
2. pressure
3. temperature

There is no way the "quality of the oil" is measured.

The only sensor I can find that may be a possible cause is the Oil Pressure and Temperature sensor (see item 5) in the base of the oil filter housing:

However, this still doesn't explain the message.

Graham

Old 02-01-2022, 08:17 AM

Thank you both for your responses!

It was happening well before the oil change, and even after the oil change the light comes on. So it is definitely not the oil level that is triggering the dash light.

Agreed, I went through my owners manual and nothing there. Just like the post above, only the dipstick and no sensor according to the documentation. So the message is really strange. If it was oil pressure you would think the oil pressure light would come on.

They left a message stating that they also "think" that it could be a sensor in one of the oil pumps that is causing the message. But my reasoning still stands.. why is it an "Oil Level" warning? It makes no sense and I'm really not in the mood for swapping out parts hoping it fixes the problem that they can't diagnose. Especially when the dealership charges $300 in labor for doing an oil change LOL

Old 02-01-2022, 10:59 AM
GGG

Like you, I wouldn't be letting the dealer go on a 'fishing expedition' with my bank account and throwing parts at a Jaguar is neither logical nor cost effective..

A search shows this topic comes up on several forums for Jaguar and LR models using the same JLR 2.0 engine. Plenty of discussion but no definite cause/resolution. A diagnostics session with JLR Pathfinder could throw up relevant error codes or one of the software updates could be the answer.

Graham

Old 02-01-2022, 12:44 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm pretty sure i ran into this before. I think the logic for low level is low pressure on the 2.0 diesel. Either the pressure sensor or the oil pump could cause low pressure. I would start with the sensor. Seen a couple go bad, but normally ends up needing a pump.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all the responses. @GGG I'm assuming a diagnostics session when the light is lit should hopefully tell me what the issue is. @Rummy636 They have mentioned that it could be the sensor or oil pump. I'll post back once I track this sucker down

Old 02-02-2022, 10:49 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by brcewane
Thanks for all the responses. @GGG I'm assuming a diagnostics session when the light is lit should hopefully tell me what the issue is. .....
YES - unfortunately our 2017 models require JLR Pathfinder diagnostics which is a lot less common outside the dealer network than the previous SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics).

Graham

Old 06-23-2022, 01:26 PM

Ok... some updates.

They replaced the Oil Pressure sensor (JDE40662) as pointed out by @GGG and the light comes on intermittently now when I stop at idle after the engine has come up to temp. Sometimes comes on, sometimes doesn't.

They connected the data logger for oil pressures and it showed 145KPA at idle.

They said that if that new sensor doesn't solve the problem it likely needs a new oil pump as outlined by @Rummy636

What kind of labor does a typical oil pump replacement look like? The pump itself looks like about $500'ish dollars USD

Old 06-23-2022, 01:48 PM
GGG

Ouch!

I started going through the Workshop Manual and replace oil pump referred me to replace oil pump chain which referred me to remove oil pan which referred me to remove front subframe ......

Definitely an itemised quote required before letting anyone loose on this.

Graham

Old 06-23-2022, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Ouch!

I started going through the Workshop Manual and replace oil pump referred me to replace oil pump chain which referred me to remove oil pan which referred me to remove front subframe ......

Definitely an itemised quote required before letting anyone loose on this.

Graham
Lovely!! Almost feel like letting the engine pop and then do a Remove/Replace with a used engine when needed, or get my hands on a workshop manual and do the oil pump replacement work myself (I build cars as a hobby)

The crappy part is that I can't really trade it in with a problem that is likely thousands of dollars in labor to repair and a error light showing up on the dash.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-23-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Afternoon,

Did you ever get anywhere in terms of resolving this issue? I have "exactly" the same light with precisely the same symptoms, i.e. engine is warm been driving for 45mins, the minute the engine goes idle "Oil Level Critically Low"

Oil levels are perfectly fine and this only occurred after a recent MOT test (passed btw) but prior to that I had never seen this before!

Took mine to the same garage for troubleshooting and they couldn't find anything, recommended a fresh oil change at £300 "MAY" resolve the issue, politely told them I'm paying for guarantees not hopes

Going to get a second opinion this week but was curious on your outcome?

Mark

Old 11-08-2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rammy79
Afternoon,

Did you ever get anywhere in terms of resolving this issue? I have "exactly" the same light with precisely the same symptoms, i.e. engine is warm been driving for 45mins, the minute the engine goes idle "Oil Level Critically Low"

Oil levels are perfectly fine and this only occurred after a recent MOT test (passed btw) but prior to that I had never seen this before!

Took mine to the same garage for troubleshooting and they couldn't find anything, recommended a fresh oil change at £300 "MAY" resolve the issue, politely told them I'm paying for guarantees not hopes

Going to get a second opinion this week but was curious on your outcome?

Mark
I never got to the bottom of it. They said the oil pump was the next thing to replace to see if they could get to the bottom of it (expensive repair with lots of labor hours). But after spending many thousands of dollars on the vehicle already in the year I decided to sell it vs pour more money into it.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:56 AM

Thats where my head is at, ready to get rid just dubious driving the damn thing whilst I try find another car in case it goes bang!

Old 08-21-2024, 10:31 PM

Hi,
Is anyone solved this issue,
I got the same warning today on my Jag F-Pace 20d. Leave it cooled down and checked the dip stick - the oil level is fine.
So I would like to know what is the suggestion, just ignore it, troubleshoot or sell the car ))
Is anyone from Jag respond to that issue?