F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Re: Prestige Protection Plan (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Prestige Protection Plan (Canada)

Hi all! New here!

A week ago I purchased a 2017 F-Pace S with the 3.0 SC 380hp gas engine and 84.000 kms.
Just wanted to share what Jaguar Canada offered me for an extended warranty with a $500 deductable.

I am sure everyone saying "DO IT!"

Old 03-10-2024, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The real question is “what is not covered by this warranty”? If, for example, this plan mirrors Jaguar’s CPO warranty for used Jaguars, then virtually everything is covered - but this is unlikely. Assuming that your car has been properly and consistently serviced, you are probably better off putting aside the money you would spend for this warranty (which, properly designated would be an insurance plan).

As a pertinent example, my son’s 2017 F-Pace S with the same 380 hp engine, at 75,000 kms developed a sudden coolant leak. The culprit was one of the original plastic (flanged) pipes. The cure was to replace all the original flanged pipes with the new metal versions. A normal yearly serving was also done. The cost was considerably less than the quote given you for a 12 month period at 10,000 kms.
The car has had absolutely no other mechanical issues at all, owned since new.

The following users liked this post:
JagFunny (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
The real question is “what is not covered by this warranty”? If, for example, this plan mirrors Jaguar’s CPO warranty for used Jaguars, then virtually everything is covered - but this is unlikely. Assuming that your car has been properly and consistently serviced, you are probably better off putting aside the money you would spend for this warranty (which, properly designated would be an insurance plan).

As a pertinent example, my son’s 2017 F-Pace S with the same 380 hp engine, at 75,000 kms developed a sudden coolant leak. The culprit was one of the original plastic (flanged) pipes. The cure was to replace all the original flanged pipes with the new metal versions. A normal yearly serving was also done. The cost was considerably less than the quote given you for a 12 month period at 10,000 kms.
The car has had absolutely no other mechanical issues at all, owned since new.
Yes exactly my thoughts! Hence my reason to post this and hoping for some feedback. It's not so much the coverage itself and the additional benefits which appear to be similar to a CPO warranty. It's the high deductible for each complaint/issue that can add up quickly to big cost as well.

Looking at the CarFax report, besides the regular maintenance, and awaiting copies of the detailing work orders from the dealership (all maintenance done at JLR Langley), the following records stand out:

2019 Aug 26 • 22,512 KM • Vehicle serviced • Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced
2023 May 25 • 74,400 KM • Vehicle serviced • Coolant bypass pipe/hose replaced • Cooling system checked

Not sure the mentioned Coolant bypass pipe is the culprit one and replaced with the updated/redesigned one but I doubt it is the aluminum one.
I hope to find out once I have the copies and check with the service department.

So yes throw a bunch of cash in a high interest account to cover for such stuff. Plus do the oil changes at 10k intervals. I'd even do it myself if I can source the recommended oil.

Old 03-10-2024, 03:55 PM

Btw - this is the breakdown of the Prestige Protection Plan:

https://www.jaguar.ca/content/dam/jd...lan-detail.pdf

Old 03-11-2024, 05:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by JagFunny
Hi all! New here!

A week ago I purchased a 2017 F-Pace S with the 3.0 SC 380hp gas engine and 84.000 kms. Just wanted to share what Jaguar Canada offered me for an extended warranty with a $500 deductable .....
Welcome to the forums JagFunny,

I read this when you first posted and assumed that you thought it was a LOT of money and only posted to emphasise the point. It never occured to me you were considering paying it. I've therefore looked at it differently on a second reading.

A used Jaguar is always a gamble and the best way to put the odds in your favour is by choosing a vehicle with preferably only one previous owner and definitely a verifiable history of service and repairs. Jaguar Dealers will sell the best examples as CPO which requires passing a rigorous inspection and the vehicle buyer then benefits from a comprehensive warranty.

Your vehicle is shown as Certified Preowned - NO which raises the question - if not, why not? Neither the age nor the distance covered would exclude it. Perhaps only trim or bodywork has minor signs of wear or there is something unusual in the history. Whatever the reason, this must leave you with little or no warranty and you need to weigh the cost of the Protection Plan (which don't forget is making a good profit for the dealer) against worst case scenario of a blown engine or transmission. Both expensive items to repair or replace with a high associated labour cost if you cannot do the work yourself.

If the cost of worst-case scenario seriously worries you then purchasing a Protection Plan is a sensible albeit costly choice. Alternatively, if you accept this is unlikely to happen but you could be hit with something lesser such as cooling hoses or fluid leaks then you are likely to cover the cost of repairs for less than the outlay on a Protection Plan.

Most forum members are "hands-on" Jaguar owners which dramatically reduces the cost of ownership. If you are not DiY and don't have the time or inclination to learn then a Protection Plan becomes more attractive. However, read the small print very carefully - limitations, exclusions and whether you are tied to the dealer for servicing and repairs.

Enough of the doom and gloom - go out and enjoy your Jaguar.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started on the forums.

Graham

Old 03-14-2024, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums JagFunny,

I read this when you first posted and assumed that you thought it was a LOT of money and only posted to emphasise the point. It never occured to me you were considering paying it. I've therefore looked at it differently on a second reading.

A used Jaguar is always a gamble and the best way to put the odds in your favour is by choosing a vehicle with preferably only one previous owner and definitely a verifiable history of service and repairs. Jaguar Dealers will sell the best examples as CPO which requires passing a rigorous inspection and the vehicle buyer then benefits from a comprehensive warranty.

Your vehicle is shown as Certified Preowned - NO which raises the question - if not, why not? Neither the age nor the distance covered would exclude it. Perhaps only trim or bodywork has minor signs of wear or there is something unusual in the history. Whatever the reason, this must leave you with little or no warranty and you need to weigh the cost of the Protection Plan (which don't forget is making a good profit for the dealer) against worst case scenario of a blown engine or transmission. Both expensive items to repair or replace with a high associated labour cost if you cannot do the work yourself.

If the cost of worst-case scenario seriously worries you then purchasing a Protection Plan is a sensible albeit costly choice. Alternatively, if you accept this is unlikely to happen but you could be hit with something lesser such as cooling hoses or fluid leaks then you are likely to cover the cost of repairs for less than the outlay on a Protection Plan.

Most forum members are "hands-on" Jaguar owners which dramatically reduces the cost of ownership. If you are not DiY and don't have the time or inclination to learn then a Protection Plan becomes more attractive. However, read the small print very carefully - limitations, exclusions and whether you are tied to the dealer for servicing and repairs.

Enough of the doom and gloom - go out and enjoy your Jaguar.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started on the forums.

Graham
Thanks Graham for chiming in. And sorry for my delayed reply. I was awaiting info about the maintenance records.

So the Prestige Protection Plan is an attractive one but costly. I think the reason no CPO is because of the expired time. The factory warranty expired Aug 31 2021.
Here the link to the Prestige Protection Plan:

So one of the notes in the CarFax indicated a Coolant Pipe replacement about a year ago. I wanted to see the details of that record.
I got a copy yesterday and happy to have read the following repair was done: See attached.

I am a DIY kinda a guy and have done many maintenance and repairs on my cars in the past like an alternator replacement just last year on my '06 Touareg V10TDI. A big job and I did it.
So I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty!

With the above mentioned repair done it becomes easier for me to decide to pass on the Prestige Protection Plan. This was one of my biggest worries on these cars and it already has been addressed recently with the updated coolant pipes.

Indeed time to go out and enjoy the Jag!

Hans

GGG (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 04:34 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by JagFunny
..... the Prestige Protection Plan is an attractive one but costly. I think the reason no CPO is because of the expired time. The factory warranty expired Aug 31 2021.
Here the link to the Prestige Protection Plan:

..... I am a DIY kinda a guy and have done many maintenance and repairs on my cars in the past .....
Hans,

The Protection Plan content looks comprehensive but I'll bet that summary page is backed up with several more pages of terms and conditions!

The 165 Point Approved CPO (US example attached) is more of a dealer checklist because it then extends the original warranty.

As you're a DiY'er, the mechanical and service work will not phase you. Electronics is probably the only aspect where you may require an independent or dealer. The dealer diagnostics is JLR Pathfinder which is available for individuals but at a cost both for the interface and subscription. I'm over two years into ownership of my F-Pace and haven't been hit with anything (yet) that my iCarsoft can't handle.

Graham

Old 03-15-2024, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Hans,

The Protection Plan content looks comprehensive but I'll bet that summary page is backed up with several more pages of terms and conditions!

The 165 Point Approved CPO (US example attached) is more of a dealer checklist because it then extends the original warranty.

As you're a DiY'er, the mechanical and service work will not phase you. Electronics is probably the only aspect where you may require an independent or dealer. The dealer diagnostics is JLR Pathfinder which is available for individuals but at a cost both for the interface and subscription. I'm over two years into ownership of my F-Pace and haven't been hit with anything (yet) that my iCarsoft can't handle.

Graham
Thanks Graham.

Diagnostics on all my VW vehicles I use VCDS. Great tool payed for itself over and over and then some!
So about the iCarsoft, which version the one to use? I found this one on Amazon.

Thanks,
Hans

Old 03-15-2024, 02:22 PM
GGG

Hans,

Mine is the iCarsoft CR Pro but worth checking scantool posts in General Tech Help forum before purchasing as there may be a newer or better version.

Graham

JagFunny (03-16-2024)