F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 03:11 PM
LCW
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I?

Hi, y'all. I just had an accident and my beloved 2006 XK8 Convertible is a gonner. I'm heartbroken. I am looking at a used 2021 Jaguar F-PACE S to replace it, buy I haven't heard any rave reviews. Is there a general consensus in the Forums regarding whether or not a 2021 F-PACE S is a well performing and reliable SUV?

BTW, the SUV I am speaking of is out of state, therefore I wouldn't have the opportunity to test drive or even lay eyes on it until it was purchased, so I've made no commitments. I don't trust car dealers, and I have no friends familiar enough with auto buying to guide me. (I also have no family.) I am currently waiting on the Carfax Report. It is listed as having 10,915 miles on it, but I don't know yet about number of owners or accidents. Any advice or experiences you are willing to share with me would be invaluable! Thank you. Leslie

Last edited by LCW; 02-07-2024 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Didn't like title.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Leslie, go for it! It seems most of the owners here have no problems as is the case with me.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Does it have the new pivi infotainment and facelifted exterior? I think that was for the 2021 model year.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:26 AM
LCW
Default I'm not sure...

Originally Posted by BritCars
Does it have the new pivi infotainment and facelifted exterior? I think that was for the 2021 model year.
I don't know about the infotainment and facelift. That's how little I know. Here is the link to the Jaguar's page: https://www.almcars.com/wholesale-us...5cc59621c9.htm

(I have also looked at this pretty kitty: https://www.carriomotorcars.com/vehi...fl-id-55145909)

My main concern is purchasing a Jaguar sight unseen and not test driven. That really scares me. I know that they can be unreliable, or finicky. Not all of them, of course. I had to keep my '06 XK8 hooked up to a battery charger because the battery wouldn't stay charged. The fact that I didn't drive it consistently didn't help, either. Also, there was an issue with the DSC (?) light coming on a lot.

Do you know of anyone who has purchased an auto online? I am STILL waiting for the Carfax Report. It should not be taking 3 days for them to send it to me. Red flag?

Leslie

Old 02-08-2024, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
..... Here is the link to the Jaguar's page: https://www.almcars.com/wholesale-us...5cc59621c9.htm

(I have also looked at this pretty kitty: https://www.carriomotorcars.com/vehi...fl-id-55145909)

My main concern is purchasing a Jaguar sight unseen and not test driven. .....
Interesting considering the choice between an SUV and a two door convertible. I have both and use them for entirely different purposes. The XK looks like a Jaguar and drives like a Jaguar. The F-Pace looks like any other SUV.

From the ALM advert for the F-Pace:

**VEHICLE IS A MANUFACTURER'S BUYBACK THAT WAS REPAIRED BY MANUFACTURER & UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY.

That would be more than sufficient reason to drop it from my list of possible purchases. I smell a lemon. With 10,915 miles in over two years, it sounds like it's spent most of its life either in dispute or under repair.

For a 12 year old XK, service history is critical. With 55K miles, it should have been serviced on a time basis every 12 months. The two main weaknesses on this model are water pumps and injectors. They do need to be kept on a tender if not used regularly. The F-Pace is less demanding in this respect.

Graham

Old 02-08-2024, 05:20 AM
LCW
Default Graham

"**VEHICLE IS A MANUFACTURER'S BUYBACK THAT WAS REPAIRED BY MANUFACTURER & UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY."

Thank you for your comment regarding this statement. I didn't think that it was a good thing, even though I didn't fully understand what it meant. You let me know that my instinct was correct before I had a chance to check into it.

My XK8 was a 2006 and had less than 10,600 miles on it. Long history of not being driven much. Mileage is definitely something I will keep my eye on during my search.

Thank you so much.
Leslie

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 05:58 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

If it's a V6 it's no longer SC. I believe it has the new Ingenium V6 Turbo. The 4 cyclinder Gas/Petrol Ingenium seems to be robust to what I read online. I agree on this, because my XF has the 4 cyl Gas Turbo Ingenium, seems a solid engine in my 4 years of ownership. I do a 5K mile OCI, I don't recommended the Jaguar extended 16K mile OCI. The 4 cyl Ingenuim Diesel engines did have a timing chain problem on previous models but this has been improved in the 2019+ models.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 02-08-2024 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:48 AM
LCW

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
If it's a V6 it's no longer SC. I believe it has the new Ingenium V6 Turbo. The 4 cyclinder Gas/Petrol Ingenium seems to be robust to what I read online. I agree on this, because my XF has the 4 cyl Gas Turbo Ingenium, seems a solid engine in my 4 years of ownership. I do a 5K mile OCI, I don't recommended the Jaguar extended 16K mile OCI. The 4 cyl Ingenuim Diesel engines did have a timing chain problem on previous models but this has been improved in the 2019+ models.
Thank you for your reply. I apologize because I am going to admit my ignorance on the matter. The F-PACE S is said to have the 1-6 cyl. Did you look on the link's page? When it comes to the nuts and bolts workings of a vehicle such as engines, transmissions, extended OCI's, etc., I am very uneducated. That is why I am a bit frightened and hoping for some good advice.

Also, would you buy an auto online w/out a test drive? Is a Carfax Report enough to trust when it comes to such a big, beautiful Jaguar purchase?

Old 02-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Interesting considering the choice between an SUV and a two door convertible. I have both and use them for entirely different purposes. The XK looks like a Jaguar and drives like a Jaguar. The F-Pace looks like any other SUV.

From the ALM advert for the F-Pace:

**VEHICLE IS A MANUFACTURER'S BUYBACK THAT WAS REPAIRED BY MANUFACTURER & UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY.

That would be more than sufficient reason to drop it from my list of possible purchases. I smell a lemon.
I thought the same thing about the opposing choices! Very different indeed.

I sort of disagree though with this statement turning me away from it. Reason being they are being honest about it and not making the customer find out about it I guess which they can easily do but some wouldn't even take the time. That being said, I am of the belief that all vehicles come with risk some even in the same model and year one after another can have totally different issues and it totally depends on care, how it was driven, etc. It's still under warranty, and lemon laws would protect in a situation like this. I think, for sure, one would need to find out exactly what was repaired. I have known instances where this has happened simply because the dealer was unable to source a part for 3 months or longer so they had to buy it back basically. Those Supply chains are getting better they're still some issues around and that very well could be the problem. However, it could have also been a complete engine replacement which by and large is not necessarily a bad thing. I say if it's something one really wants find out more information about what was fixed and then possibly use that in negotiation to get a better deal.

The following 2 users liked this post by tergitkerd:
2018XF25T (02-08-2024), GGG (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Here's the link to Ingenium engines. Search down and look for Petrol and search AJ300. It is actually a Twin Charged (Turbo with a SC) I-6 engine according to the link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenium_engine_family

According to the link you provided, 2021 F-Pace has an 8 speed AT. F-Pace 2016 and beyond with 8 speed AT is equipped with ZF Transmission Model: 8HP 50 / 2nd according to ZF 8 speed AT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Carfax report is sufficient, although it does not cover everything of past maintenance history, major accidents, yes with police report but without police report it will not appear on Carfax. Minor accidents might not appear as well. I am DIYer and my Jag has been at the dealer once since I've owned it. The reason to this is to get another Key Fob ($300) and the dealer updated a missed recall that wasn't done from the past. So, if I plan to sell my Jag in the future, the only Carfax report since I've bought it, is the one trip to the dealer and state of Texas annual inspection report.

A lot of car buyers these days depend on online car buying. If they have not find a used one at the dealer, at Craigslist or FB Marketplace in their area most search online to buy their first or next vehicle.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 02-08-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:19 AM

I am DIYer and my Jag has been at the dealer once since I've owned it. The reason to this is to get another Key Fob ($300) and the dealer updated a missed recall that wasn't done from the past. So, if I plan to sell my Jag in the future, the only Carfax report since I've bought it, is the one trip to the dealer and state of Texas annual inspection report.
Same here, though I have only ever bought 1 car new from the dealer in my life and only that was because my wife wanted her Yellow FIAT so that is where we got it. So, my CARFAX (for all my vehicles) has everything before I bought it, then inspections. Though CARFAX does (well, did in the past at least) had the ability for folks like us to go in and update the maintenance and work performed on it that would then be reported as "Self-Reported" on the CARFAX. I tried it but that very soon stopped as it was a pain to keep up with and I also realized that I was basically working for CARFAX by helping them complete their database on my vehicles but not getting one red cent from them and I thought, wow, why would I do this!?

A lot of car buyers these days depend on online car buying. If they have not find a used one at the dealer, at Craigslist or FB Marketplace in their area most search online to buy their first or next vehicle.
My mother actually just a couple of weeks ago purchased a 2020 MINI Countryman S from Carmax online, sight unseen. It kinda took forever to get here and was a bit more expensive than I think it should have been, but that's the added "convenience factor" I suppose. Ultra low miles and it is an absolutely fantastic car. Black on Black, JCW Trim. She has wanted me to drive it for a little while to make sure everything is good with it. Man, is it good. I love MINIs and Jags lol. Anyway, at least with Carmax, I felt she made an OK deal because they really do have a really good warranty & return policy...at least on paper, unsure how well it works in action. On an related/unrelated note, I think the model of full online sales will ultimately go away. i.e. Vroom just went bankrupt. Carvana can't possibly last much longer though they may be the Phoenix when it is all said and done. I think the model will really be more, well like the one presented here, and B&M/Traditional dealer who just does transactions online and customer pays for delivery from another location. That model surely has pros and cons.

2018XF25T (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 11:55 AM
LCW

Here's the link to Ingenium engines. Search down and look for Petrol and search AJ300. It is actually a Twin Charged (Turbo with a SC) I-6 engine according to the link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenium_engine_family

According to the link you provided, 2021 F-Pace has an 8 speed AT. F-Pace 2016 and beyond with 8 speed AT is equipped with ZF Transmission Model: 8HP 50 / 2nd according to ZF 8 speed AT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Carfax report is sufficient, although it does not cover everything of past maintenance history, major accidents, yes with police report but without police report it will not appear on Carfax. Minor accidents might not appear as well. I am DIYer and my Jag has been at the dealer once since I've owned it. The reason to this is to get another Key Fob ($300) and the dealer updated a missed recall that wasn't done from the past. So, if I plan to sell my Jag in the future, the only Carfax report since I've bought it, is the one trip to the dealer and state of Texas annual inspection report.

Thank you so much for the links. I comprehended some of what I read... the rest was in a language foreign to me, lol. But, I truly appreciate that you took the time to try to educate me. These days, many people would not.

I mentioned before that my 2006 XK8 Convertible only had 10,686. This wasn't due to repairs, either. My mother purchased it, decided she wanted a red one and gave the '06 to me. I am disabled and don't get out too much. So, if I had wanted to sell it, someone might think mine had spent too much time in the repair shop.

It is a relief to hear you say that you believe purchasing online is pretty commonplace these days. I just know that I would be scared not test driving one, and also not knowing much about the Auto Dealership other than Google Customer Reviews.

I'm happy that you've had a wonderful experience with yours. I did with mine. I'm tempted to look at a BMW X4 as well. (Sorry Mama, if you're looking down at me!)

Old 02-08-2024, 12:01 PM
LCW

[QUOTE=tergitkerd;2719916]Same here, though I have only ever bought 1 car new from the dealer in my life and only that was because my wife wanted her Yellow FIAT so that is where we got it. So, my CARFAX (for all my vehicles) has everything before I bought it, then inspections. Though CARFAX does (well, did in the past at least) had the ability for folks like us to go in and update the maintenance and work performed on it that would then be reported as "Self-Reported" on the CARFAX. I tried it but that very soon stopped as it was a pain to keep up with and I also realized that I was basically working for CARFAX by helping them complete their database on my vehicles but not getting one red cent from them and I thought, wow, why would I do this!? My mother actually just a couple of weeks ago purchased a 2020 MINI Countryman S from Carmax online, sight unseen. It kinda took forever to get here and was a bit more expensive than I think it should have been, but that's the added "convenience factor" I suppose. Ultra low miles and it is an absolutely fantastic car. Black on Black, JCW Trim. She has wanted me to drive it for a little while to make sure everything is good with it. Man, is it good. I love MINIs and Jags lol. Anyway, at least with Carmax, I felt she made an OK deal because they really do have a really good warranty & return policy...at least on paper, unsure how well it works in action.

Tergitkerd,

It sounds like your Mom had a great purchase. Wonderful! I have not looked on Carmax. I have been looking on CarGuru. This will give me an extra place to search.

Thanks,
Leslie

Old 02-08-2024, 12:38 PM
LCW

Originally Posted by Notwerb
Hi Leslie, go for it! It seems most of the owners here have no problems as is the case with me.
Hi, Notwerb.

I'm struggling. This is the first car purchase I have ever had to make by myself. I have always had a family member or my employer's Fleet Manager go with me and help. Now, I am 56 yrs old going on 26 and I am ALL ALONE trying to figure out how to get this done without being taken advantage of. The disadvantages of purchasing online are no test drive, sight unseen, not knowing Dealership reputation and not knowing if they actually have the car cleared by a mechanic (is that what they do?).

The advantage of purchasing online is NO Salesmen circling you like vultures above a carcass! My brother was a car salesman, and I can't stand him!!!

Leslie

Old 02-08-2024, 01:43 PM

@LCW I have one suggestion based only on your specific situation but it seems it might fit. If you are concerned with being taken advantage of, or gunshy about moving forward on something, you could work with an auto broker. This means different things in different places, but what I am referring to is someone who basically shops a car for you. I am sure there is a fee associated and not sure I have any clue what that fee would be, but I know this can happen. In fact, while I have not used them myself, I do subscribe to a YT channel of a really knowledgeable and honest-seeming father and son team who are in this very industry. You may want to check them out. Again, not affiliated in any way and haven't used them, just know they exist. On YT: https://www.youtube.com/@CarEdge And their website is caredge.com. Worth looking into, I think because sadly, I believe there is a bit of validity to your concerns in this day and age!

Old 02-08-2024, 02:07 PM
LCW

Originally Posted by tergitkerd
@LCW I have one suggestion based only on your specific situation but it seems it might fit. If you are concerned with being taken advantage of, or gunshy about moving forward on something, you could work with an auto broker. This means different things in different places, but what I am referring to is someone who basically shops a car for you. I am sure there is a fee associated and not sure I have any clue what that fee would be, but I know this can happen. In fact, while I have not used them myself, I do subscribe to a YT channel of a really knowledgeable and honest-seeming father and son team who are in this very industry. You may want to check them out. Again, not affiliated in any way and haven't used them, just know they exist. On YT: https://www.youtube.com/@CarEdge And their website is caredge.com. Worth looking into, I think because sadly, I believe there is a bit of validity to your concerns in this day and age!
Tergitkerd,

Thank you so much for this information. It is something I definitely never would have thought of. I will check out their channel and do a little bit of research because you may be correct. It may be exactly what I need depending on how much they charge. It sounds like you get my situation exactly. I don't trust many people these days. I don't know when things started to change, but it seems like the world has just gone crazy and people just don't care about each other anymore. I truly appreciate your suggestion.

Thank You,
Leslie

Old 02-08-2024, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes. It's the facelift and new infotainment.
But - it's not a great deal. Just a few thousand below online estimates. And it's a lemon / manufacturer buyback. Then the second owner only owned it for 10 months and sold it

So unless you know the full story I wouldn't go near it. There are many other cars available. Why take the risk?

Old 02-09-2024, 11:19 AM
LCW

Originally Posted by BritCars
Yes. It's the facelift and new infotainment.
But - it's not a great deal. Just a few thousand below online estimates. And it's a lemon / manufacturer buyback. Then the second owner only owned it for 10 months and sold it

So unless you know the full story I wouldn't go near it. There are many other cars available. Why take the risk?
Thank you for your advice. I'm leaning that way, also.

Old 02-10-2024, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

"LCW", are there any authorized Jaguar dealers near you? If you're really interested in an F-Pace, a dealer might be a good place to check with, and it would also identify where you could take it, if service becomes necessary. In my honest opinion, if there isn't a dealer within 30-45 minutes, I won't buy a car of that particular make, no matter what make it might be.....

Old 02-14-2024, 05:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LCW......Have bought last 3 cars over 7 years(all jags) sight unseen over the internet w/ zero problems. It wouldn't hurt to have a 3rd party inspection service inspect a vehicle in person b4 buying(I used Lemon Squad for 1 of the purchases, 1 car was a CPO so I felt secure w/long distance buy). Don't hesitate to buy online if you have to although nothing is better than seeing/test driving a vehicle yourself.

tergitkerd (02-14-2024)