Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler

I spoke to my mechanic contact that works for Jaguar regarding the rear spoiler and the news isn't all that great at least from my perspective.
He says that upon checking our the software system for the rear spoiler that it turns out to be part and parcel of the entire suspension system software package. Apparently it is not easy to enter this software package to mess about with it, so he is not able to do anything with it.

His opinion is that Jaguar would never allow the spoiler to be shut down as its a key safety item, however he shares my opinion that why not let it be adjusted somewhat, but thats up to Jaguar. No doubt Jaguar could issue a software update if they so chose to.

I plan on writing (better than a phone call) to Jaguar Canada to provide them with my feedback for what its worth. No doubt if a number of people did it might bring some updates.

My plan is to simply state that if I drive from Detroit in the USA to Montreal Canada, its well over 8 hours and as I drive at around 120km hr. (about 73 mph?) the spoiler is sitting up the whole way, affecting visibility and fuel mileage. I get the need and also the fun of a spoiler that lifts at speed, however its too low and I would think that if it lifted around 130-135km hr. for passing, it should not affect safety. This is a fairly normal speed in much of Europe and many USA states, so maybe it should even be set around 140km hr. It should also retract around 10-15km hr. below the set lift speed so we can get it back down without having to slow down too much. Perhaps give owners a few settings for customization.

Anyway, I will take the time to write them later today or tomorrow, and hopefully others will as well in Canada, USA and Britian and anywhere else that has interest. While I'm at it, I will mention the radio frustrations, even though I may have most of mine sorted out. I'll stop and think about any others that bug me, although nothing comes to mind yet.
I do love the car.
Lawrence

Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

With all due respect to your mechanic, Mulmur, I'd ask around. His explanation is plausible, certainly. But, there is a difference between "can't do it" and "difficult to do it." Again, 2nd and 3rd opinions.

I wonder how much safety, or perceived safety, factors into the matter. After all, the F-Type is certainly built to fly. I remember back when the Audi TT made its first-gen appearance. Reportedly, there were a few spinouts--enough to convince Audi to add a small rear spoiler to new TT models and retrofit it to the earlier ones (though if I remember, Audi's fix was more aimed at addressing Autobahn-type speeds, not 120km cruising).

Good luck. I wouldn't mind at all having the option either.

Last edited by deltagroup; 07-24-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deltagroup
With all due respect to your mechanic, Mulmur, I'd ask around. His explanation is plausible, certainly. But, there is a difference between "can't do it" and "difficult to do it." Again, 2nd and 3rd opinions.

I wonder how much safety, or perceived safety, factors into the matter. After all, the F-Type is certainly built to fly. I remember back when the Audi TT made its first-gen appearance. Reportedly, there were a few spinouts--enough to convince Audi to add a small rear spoiler to new TT models and retrofit it to the earlier ones (though if I remember, Audi's fix was more aimed at addressing Autobahn-type speeds, not 120km cruising).

Good luck. I wouldn't mind at all having the option either.
He is the only one that I know that has the knowledge regarding these cars, however, perhaps someone else on these forums will come up with a mechanic that can do the adjustment.
Meanwhile, I did speak with Jaguar Customer Service and they did seem to understand the issue and promised that these sorts of issues do get referred right up the line.. I also sent a letter today. They indicated that it takes more than one person raising an issue for Jaguar to prioritize.
I had hoped it would be a simply issue and procedure to deal with.. anyway I do totally get the fun aspect of the spoiler raising up, its just the speed it does it at means that I'm driving for hours with it sitting up, at an unnecessary speed.
Lawrence.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts

You can also contact forum member...Mike@Jaguar and relay your concerns to him. He also has direct contact to HQ.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

There are probably a couple of more prosaic reasons why it comes up at the speed it does:
1. While necessary at higher speeds, they've set it to open at a much lower speed so that owners can see it working in regular motoring;
2. If it were to only open at 80+, this would provide a good visual clue to those enforcing speed limits that the limit is being ignored...

Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
There are probably a couple of more prosaic reasons why it comes up at the speed it does:
1. While necessary at higher speeds, they've set it to open at a much lower speed so that owners can see it working in regular motoring;
2. If it were to only open at 80+, this would provide a good visual clue to those enforcing speed limits that the limit is being ignored...
#2 is an excellent point!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gotwish
#2 is an excellent point!
Understand your point, however the request is that the owner have two or three settings that can be utilized for opening and closing, so no one would know which you are using and it would allow all of us to choose our own preference. Yet, highest setting no higher than whatever is deemed safe.
Lawrence.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

No cop is going to look at popup spoilers and use that as any basis for how fast you are going. Hundreds of vehicles have them, all come up at different speeds or are capable of manually opening up. They have plenty of other more reliable means for getting your speed.

The following 2 users liked this post by LynxFX:
DuhCar (07-27-2014), Mulmur (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
No cop is going to look at popup spoilers and use that as any basis for how fast you are going. Hundreds of vehicles have them, all come up at different speeds or are capable of manually opening up. They have plenty of other more reliable means for getting your speed.
They do, and the accuracy is better than the car's speedometer. That's why I worded it as I did.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Anybody ever try just unplugging it?

Or the more advanced option would be to find the signal wire going to the motor and put an in-line switch in place to toggle anytime you didn't want the spoiler up.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
They do, and the accuracy is better than the car's speedometer. That's why I worded it as I did.
Maybe in England. In the States, that won't fly. They'll use radar and/or pace you with their vehicle to get the speed. A deployed spoiler is circumstantial at best.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe in England. In the States, that won't fly. They'll use radar and/or pace you with their vehicle to get the speed. A deployed spoiler is circumstantial at best.
It may be that you didn't read what I wrote.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

A deployed spoiler is not evidence for a ticket. But for a cop sitting by the side of the road, it says "please point your radar gun at me".
This is in fact what cops do in California. They don't sit there gunning or following every car that passes. They wouldn't have enough time to eat donuts.
Cops need to pick targets based on likelihood so deployed spoilers are an easy cue.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
A deployed spoiler is not evidence for a ticket. But for a cop sitting by the side of the road, it says "please point your radar gun at me".
This is in fact what cops do in California. They don't sit there gunning or following every car that passes. They wouldn't have enough time to eat donuts.
Cops need to pick targets based on likelihood so deployed spoilers are an easy cue.
I would have to disagree. in Southern California, the cops have you nailed, dead to rights, long before you are anywhere near close enough for them to see the color of your car, let alone observe whether or not the spoiler is deployed.
And they quite routinely "sit there", in the shadows, "by the side of the road", around the bend, and/or just over the crest of the hill, all with the radar affixed to the side of their vehicle or bike clocking every single car that passes within range. Radar is not always hand held.
Both fixed wing aircraft and helicopters are also frequently pacing vehicles here... they are not paying any attention to spoilers either.

Had to laugh at the Donuts...

The following users liked this post:
LynxFX (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
I would have to disagree. in Southern California, the cops have you nailed, dead to rights, long before you are anywhere near close enough for them to see the color of your car, let alone observe whether or not the spoiler is deployed.
And they quite routinely "sit there", in the shadows, "by the side of the road", around the bend, and/or just over the crest of the hill, all with the radar affixed to the side of their vehicle or bike clocking every single car that passes within range. Radar is not always hand held.
Both fixed wing aircraft and helicopters are also frequently pacing vehicles here... they are not paying any attention to spoilers either.

Had to laugh at the Donuts...
Sound like you guys get the same 'treatment' that we do in Ontario, Canada. The provincial policy here have to meet a quota for their station or they get fired and the speed limits here are stupid low.
We know some of the cops and they negotiate each year with the townships to decide what the township will pay in policing costs and part of the discussion is how many tickets/value they write within the area.. Every cop has to hold up their end of the budget or its goodbye.
Speed limit here on a good two lane highway is only 80 Km hr., although everyone pretty well drives at close to 100.. once they clock you at say, 105, you get the 25 Km hr. over ticket and of course it impacts insurance.
Everyone knows its not about safety... some are complaining and raising the issue of scientific studies that people tend to drive at a comfort level and its closer to 100 - 110 on two lane and 120 - 130 on multi lane highways for about 85% of the population and thats were the speed limit should be set, and most won't drive much over that. Lane discipline is the main safety issue.
Anyway, the province of British Columbia has seen the light and raised theirs along with quite a few forward thinking U.S. States.
I lived in Europe for a few years and got used to the 130 Km hr. limit for instance in Spain and it was perfectly safe and they drive generally crappy cars compared to us here.
Anyway, I guess I've drifted off the main topic of Rear Spoilers..
Lawrence.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

To add my two cents:

Firstly, I like how the spoiler looks when deployed on my V8 S. The R Coupe spoiler I don't like as much, looks wise.

Secondly, it doesnt really impair much the rear view, which is already fairly poor, so just deal with it?

Thirdly, it does make a difference to the downforce when at speed. i can feel the difference.

Lastly, if you are worried about cops just get a radar detector installed like many of us have

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
To add my two cents:

Firstly, I like how the spoiler looks when deployed on my V8 S. The R Coupe spoiler I don't like as much, looks wise.

Secondly, it doesnt really impair much the rear view, which is already fairly poor, so just deal with it?

Thirdly, it does make a difference to the downforce when at speed. i can feel the difference.

Lastly, if you are worried about cops just get a radar detector installed like many of us have
You still can't detect "Instant On" radar, which I think should be outlawed.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alexg
To add my two cents:

On my R, the spoiler blocks the rear view pretty much entirely and although I typically use the side mirrors 95% of the time, I like to be able to glance in my rear view mirror as well... so, when doing a long distance trip on the highway, in my very own personal opinion, the spoiler being up all the time is an issue.. not a great issue, but still I would prefer if we could set a couple of different speeds for deployment. Hence, I did 'deal with it' by writing to Jaguar with the suggestion to give us some options.
I like the spoiler, but not up all the time on the highway at relatively low and safe speeds. I'm not suggesting the spoiler be down at high speeds when it is required.
Here in Ontario, just like a number of other provinces and states, radar detectors are illegal and the cops are paranoid about them.. big fines etc... so its not worth it.
I'm not personally concerned with a cop seeing my spoiler up, but some others might be, as I do believe the cops already have you nailed most of the time by the time they see the spoiler.
I first called Jaguar on this and found them good to talk to, but we'll see if any other communication comes back .. its possible some other folks might contact them as well, which would likely be more likely to get their attention.
Anyway, I love the car and its great fun to drive.. this issue only presents itself when I'm on a long drive at something like 75 mph..
Lawrence

Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I've not driven the R, but it seems its much worse than on my S convertible. I don;t think it looks great on the R when deployed wheras its the opposite on the S for me!
Good luck with it, maybe the RS for you?!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Just resurrecting this old thread to see whether anyone has any further correspondence with JLRA on the deployment/retraction of the spoiler?

I've found that once the spoiler auto-deploys at 120kmh, there is no manual way to retract if I'm traveling at, say, 100kmh - the spoiler button has no effect at all. It seems the only way to force retraction is to slow to 80kmh, and that is a pretty impractical (and potentially dangerous) tactic on a freeway.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler