F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts
Cool Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.

Ok, so the title is a bit sarcastic as I just had one hell of a journey home in my new F-Type Coupe R. Long story ahead.

Last wednesday I picked up my beautiful Italian Racing Red and blacked out R with alcantara interior in Denver. Absolutely stunning in person. Couldn't be happier with the configuration.

Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.-yywv3p8.jpg
Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.-2pfrdjd.jpg

I put on roughly 200 miles just around town as I visited with family planning my adventure home over the weekend. Colorado weather was great during the week but a storm was brewing on the west coast. My plan was to get to the Grand Canyon by Saturday night, then home in LA on Sunday after 1200 miles.

I paid close attention to the weather reports, radar, and satellite feeds. I had a narrow window to get through the mountain pass. The rest of the journey looked to be 50/50 on weather they would get snow but all forecasts pointed to evening time.

I took off in the morning, skies were clear, car gassed up. I weaved my way through the Rockies on some pretty nice roads. Finally I got to really test out what this car could do. My TT-RS was no slouch and has similar performance figures as the R, but this just felt faster. Especially when doing pulls from 60-70+. I made great time.

By 1:30 I had reached the mountain pass. Climbing up to 10,800 feet, the east side was clear. About a 1/4 mile from the top I hit the snow line. For the first time I felt the back kick out on my twice. I was keeping steady throttle, snow/rain driving mode flicked on. I got to the snow covered top without incident and passed by the Sheriff who I'm sure was thinking "what the hell is this bright red sports car doing up here?"

7% grade for next 10 miles. That is what I saw, along with snow and ice covered road, thick fog, and a steep drop off. Now I was nervous. I couldn't go back, I couldn't stop, I just had to keep pressing on. I crawled at a steady 18mph (natural idle speed going down hill) and flipped on my hazard lights.

I managed to snap a quick photo going down during a straight section.
Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.-u6ikhlx.jpg

After 45 minutes, I was finally down. No slipping, no drama. I kept my foot off the gas and off the brakes. The snow finally cleared and I could see sunny skies ahead. There was even a nice rainbow that I could see from my side mirrors.

Rain did show up, but I made it to Durango. Time for lunch. While sitting there the rain turned into a downpour. Then the downpour turned into a giant snowflakes. Crap! Time to book it. I checked the weather radar and noticed my westward route had a giant storm cell over it. Heavy snow. South looked more promising but I wasn't sure what the road was going to be like or at what elevation. I rolled the dice and went South.

Enter a full on blizzard. Snow was falling faster and faster. The roads were completely covered but there were at least tire tracks I could stay in. At times it was a complete white out. I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me. Eventually the snowing stopped but the damage had been done.

I managed a photo once things started clearing up and it was mostly slush.
Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.-58m4try.jpg

There was 60 miles of this, but I made it down and again what looked to be clear skies in the direction I needed to go. I powered through the rain and eventually hit open skies. I could see the sun setting now.

Enter blackness. I was pretty behind on my schedule but the roads were dry and I was able to keep a steady pace. The worst was behind me. I shouldn't have said that. Out of nowhere another storm hit. This time the snow was sticking immediately. For a bit it was near whiteout conditions. I lost track of the tail lights that were in front of me. No lights were even behind me. By now I was pretty used to this. Just keep a steady foot, no braking, no sudden movements.

I'm through! I'm not less than 100 miles from the Grand Canyon. I'm a bit late but the roads were open and clear. Time to make up some time. I make the turn towards the South Rim. For the rest of the trip I do not see a single car in either direction. No phone signal. I'm alone.

I make it into the park, the road changes to the narrow 'park' style roads. I can hear the gravel they put on the roads for snow. About half way into the park there is a physical line from clear driving to winter apocalypse. At least 3" of fresh fallen snow covering the road, high winds blowing snow left and right. I could barely see anything ahead of me. I'm 15 miles from my destination. I laid down some fresh 295w tracks down the center of the road. I even had to rely on my navigation to show me where the turns were. This road trip saved the best for last. I crawled along, using what worked before. Only now I had a new challenge, going up hill. I watched my speedometer like a hawk. 20mph, 18mph, 15mph, 10mph. I could feel the tires slipping as it tried to keep pace going up the hills. Every time I got to the top I sighed of relief, only to have another one come up. It took an hour to get through. No cars ever came by. I looked at what I drove through on the map, just a Grand Canyon sized hole on my right hand side. It wasn't like I could have slid off and over that.

Made it to the hotel, car covered in dirt and salt. What shouldn't have been able to be done was done. 550hp/RWD, summer tires, through 4 blizzards and a mountain pass. Thanks Jaguar for building one hell of a car.

I couldn't even get any glamour shots that I had hoped on this trip. It was all about the task at hand and to not be the guy that crashed his $100k Jag into the Grand Canyon.

Day 2 was much better.

Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.-xyizovn.jpg
Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.-gsoqa9i.jpg

The following 15 users liked this post by LynxFX:
Crovax (12-18-2014), F-TypeRookie (12-15-2014), F-typical (12-17-2014), Foosh (12-15-2014), IB Nolan (12-29-2014), jleuz1 (12-15-2014), jmfan (12-15-2014), knoxville379 (12-15-2014), RickyJay52 (12-15-2014), schraderade (12-15-2014), shift (12-15-2014), soaringeaglers (04-06-2022), spindoc (12-17-2014), tberg (12-15-2014), undfeatable (12-15-2014) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What an experience

LynxFX,

That is one awesome and scary experience and story! That is awesome that the car kept it's composure even at slow speeds but much of that credit should go to you being able to discern the grip level you had while driving. I would say the only person/people who needs AWD are the ones who don't skills like you.

Beautiful car and great story!

The following users liked this post:
LynxFX (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks! I grew up in the snow but never had the chance to drive a car like this in it. Don't think I would again. lol

The only time the car felt a bit twitchy was whenever it would drop a gear to hold the speed going up a hill in the snow. It never disrupted the car but I could feel it.

Also sooooo glad I opted to get the clear bra installed at the dealer rather than waiting to get it done here for cheaper.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Well done and now you have one for the books (and a story you'll never forget; much as you might want to).

Congratulations!
RJ52

LynxFX (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Nicely done! And thanks for the fascinating account.

LynxFX (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Well done and now you have one for the books (and a story you'll never forget; much as you might want to).

Congratulations!
RJ52
You aren't the Ricky Jay are you?

Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Alas, my cover - or shall I say deception - is blown!

I'm not LynxFX but of course why wouldn't you think I might be? My moniker has significance which I shall PM you with...

Old 12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Lol, day 1 after I saw his profile I did some googling around to see whom this seemingly famous Ricky Jay was...

Old 12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by undfeatable
Lol, day 1 after I saw his profile I did some googling around to see whom this seemingly famous Ricky Jay was...
He still is! My guess is not driving an F-Type...

Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Haha I figured it out right before your PM. You mentioned your age in another thread and you happen to be 8 years younger than RJ.

Still a great way to get people to do a double take.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Great writeup, although I wouldn't have the cojones to drive my F-Type off the dealer lot into the snow.

That 2nd photo really shows the finish on the IRR very nicely. Sweet ride.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Beautiful car... and quite a drive.. no doubt the summer tires are not meant for snow.
Lawrence.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
Great writeup, although I wouldn't have the cojones to drive my F-Type off the dealer lot into the snow.

That 2nd photo really shows the finish on the IRR very nicely. Sweet ride.
Sweet ride indeed and a lesson - rather reminder - to us all: this F-Type (indeed all cars) is meant to be driven. Granted maybe not into and/or through a snow-storm but regardless, gotta get out there in spite of [most] conditions. The heck with spring, I ain't waiting!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default First photo

Hey LynxFX, in your first photo, is that a Salsa Red to the right in the background? Thanks.

Last edited by DuhCar; 12-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Hey LynxFX, in your first photo, is that a Salsa Red to the right in the background? Thanks.
Yes it is.

DuhCar (12-16-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I do always enjoy that a Californian's definition of a blizzard is a typical snow storm for us. Good thing you didn't have to do the uphill grades on I70 in the snow, you would have struggled. Congrats on the purchase!

F-TypeRookie (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I do always enjoy that a Californian's definition of a blizzard is a typical snow storm for us. Good thing you didn't have to do the uphill grades on I70 in the snow, you would have struggled. Congrats on the purchase!
Haha I figured someone would try to call me out on that. I did grow up in a combination of Idaho/Montana/New Hampshire and Colorado. I've seen my share of snow. Only been in CA for 6 years. While not the storm of the century, the conditions fit the definition of a blizzard. High winds, blowing snow, low visibility to complete white out. What saved me is that it didn't pile up very fast, and most of the roads were level, except coming down the 7% grade of Wolf Creek Pass. You are right about I-70 though. I purposely avoided going that route. Of course the last time I did that I was in a Uhaul pulling a trailer with my car on it. I got through Vail just before they closed I-70 due to heavy snow. Now that was a sketchy drive.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Respect!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

LynxFX, great story. You have my utmost respect, and you must have a large 'set' to brave it in an F!

Good on you though for keeping it in one piece. The IRR is so good in the sun. My V8S drop top is IRR with all black bits, although he Jag and F badging was Chrome still. Did you have your badge removed and dipped or some other process?

Got to admit, it must have been tempting to switch everything off and plant your right foot, just to see...tell me you tried it....please?

I wish they wouldn't salt the roads this side of the pond, it just makes a caustic mess and takes away so many opportunities to have a giggle!

Last edited by Tel; 12-15-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM

lol @Tel

That thought did cross my mind...for like a second. Guess I'll just have to try that out on dry terra firma.

Quick Reply: Who really needs AWD? My 1200 mile trip home.