F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$330 Jag Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 11:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default $330 Jag Oil change

So the new to me Jag needs an oil change based on time not miles. I have a few warranty items I thought the dealer would take care of. I might be wrong.
Oil change $330! I have had a Jag before and still own a Maserati. Jag takes 8 qts of oil and they charge $140 for the oil. Must be really something special that oil.
Maserati takes 12 qts. and full oil change is $200 at a the same dealer as the Jag (Penski), wtf? I have an Indy that is Jag certified who will be getting the car going forward.
He charges me $119 to oil change the Maserati.

I have some warranty items so I figured I would give them $330 for the oil change and do the rest. Have a high pitched whine in the rear which is loudest around 48 MPH. They will
look into it. Drivers door speakers sound blown on some music. Just horrible. Not blown but can use the update they don't want to do. Said it would not be covered under warranty before
they even looked at the car! Strike 1. Head light are hunting night crawlers on low beams. High beams are fine. First thing he says is not covered under warranty again before even looking
at the car!. Strike 2 "Lets review. Car has 16K on and only serviced at Jag dealers. They replaced the a headlight module at 3K, then a complete head light because it had water in it in San Diego!
Car was in the rain maybe once in its life. 5K. Then they had to replace a headlight again around 8 or 9 K because they were mismatched. One was Silver and one was Black! " We have never seen this
car before" yes but certified Jag dealers have and I have the documentation! "You can call Jag NA." Your the God dam dealer you call them. If you don't want to work on the car just say so and I will take it elsewhere.

So I am finding out the CPO warranty does stand for **** and they really don't want to cover anything even if it is known issue like the speaker set up in the coupe. Then they wonder why I will never buy a new car from them. Really? At least look at what is wrong with the car before you tell me it is not covered!

Old 03-29-2021, 11:08 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

JLR North Scottsdale? or Chandler?

If you go to Chandler, ask for the GM Bobby Perich. He used to be the GM for Scottsdale. Let him know that his former factory representative for goodwill from the Western Region sent you. Its odd that a Penske store treated you that way. They were always top notch.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:23 AM

N Scottsdale- The Ferrari Store had always treated me good there but I heard the Jag dealer was not very good but same owner? I was looking at a local car and they said they don't do PPI's. OK
Chandler did but the car never made it to PPI as it had cheap tires and wheels had a bad vibration they couldn't balance out. Chandler was very nice and said bring it in and we will get on the rack for you
right away. I just emailed Scottsdale as they wanted work authorization on line. I said not until I know the issues and the cost and do not do the oil change until we speak. I will take it to Chandler on principle as
it not that much farther away. In the future I will use Joe at Sports Car Collectors in Tempe as he handles my Maserati for me now too.

The telling me it is not covered before they look at the cars service history or even look under the hood is what has me totally pissed off. Zero training of staff is what I see. I run and build sales teams. I would fire him to make an example of what not to do. I should have just took the keys back at that point. At least take the car in and look at it then call and and say it is not covered with some facts just not a wild *** guess. I don't care if Chandler chargers more at this point!

Old 03-29-2021, 11:38 AM

So I called Chandler and they quoted be $670 for 16K service! What does that include oil change, Multi inspection, Battery service, Wiper blades and tire inflation check! Oil change alone $320. I will pass on the $300 wiper blades! WOW. Service advisor on the phone seemed totally clueless and someone was feeding him info in the back ground. I will call Joe and see what Sports Cars chargers just to compare now. Pays to shop around. Funny thing is as technology drive as I would think Jag would be they didn't even run the VIN# to see what the car needs and it service history! Dodge Challenger 392 with a stick is more high tech. They scan the vin and it tells exactly what your car is need of. That car would email me when a tire was low.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

You can buy the Jaguar specified oil (8qt) and an OEM oil filter for about $120 online or from a dealer. No need to get under the car just suck it out with a Mity Vac from the pipe in the engine oil filler cap. Takes about 15 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
mikezcar (04-02-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 12:54 PM

Where is the filter located?

Old 03-29-2021, 01:05 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Top left front of engine as you look from the front.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

DIY is very easy

Old 03-29-2021, 01:49 PM

Use to pump it out of my Mini JCW- easy access is nice.

George05 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:54 PM

Plastic bag trick to get the filter off and no oil all over the engine?

Old 03-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I had my rear leak fixed on my Jaguar when I bought it back in November by Scottsdale. They were not the nicest to deal with but they honored the Goodwill since the repair should have been caught by the Chicago dealer I bought the car from. The service advisor at Jaguar said since I am coming from a Porsche its a good thing I have an extended warranty as Jaguars are a bit more finicky than Porsche. I have all the tools ready to do my first oil change but won't until the fall most likely. And $300 is insane for the oil change. Prefer to do myself and know it is done right.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Maser
Plastic bag trick to get the filter off and no oil all over the engine?
No need for any bag or spill protection, the oil filter faces "down" so it has already drained 99.9% when you go to take it off. I have changed these filters countless times across 3 Jags and hardly ever spilt more than a couple of drops of oil.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
George05 (03-30-2021), Jeff Murray (04-01-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 06:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch that is crazy! I wonder why they charge so much for yours? Dealer here in NY was awesome. Was trying to get an oil change before winter storage and he said you can do it now or wait and bring it back for your free one, still under warranty and maintenance plan, but I asked how much it was anyways. $189 oil and filter change from the dealer in my area. If a Jag dealer can do it for $189 then all Jag dealers can so talk about some horrible mark up or something weird going on!

Old 03-29-2021, 07:28 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If you have occasion to be in Tucson, Royal Jaguar is an outstanding dealer. I have used them for service for almost 20 years and have been consistently pleased with the advice, pricing and integrity. I have also purchased from them and can recommend the sales side also. My pet theory is you buy from the dealer who is located in an area where things are toughest. Clearly not North Scottsdale.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine sound

So the new to me Jag needs an oil change based on time not miles. I have a few warranty items I thought the dealer would take care of. I might be wrong.
Oil change $330! I have had a Jag before and still own a Maserati. Jag takes 8 qts of oil and they charge $140 for the oil. Must be really something special that oil.
Maserati takes 12 qts. and full oil change is $200 at a the same dealer as the Jag (Penski), wtf? I have an Indy that is Jag certified who will be getting the car going forward.

I have some warranty items so I figured I would give them $330 for the oil change and do the rest. Have a high pitched whine in the rear which is loudest around 48 MPH. They will
look into it. Drivers door speakers sound blown on some music. Just horrible. Not blown but can use the update they don't want to do. Said it would not be covered under warranty before
they even looked at the car! Strike 1. Head light are hunting night crawlers on low beams. High beams are fine. First thing he says is not covered under warranty again before even looking
at the car!. Strike 2 "Lets review. Car has 16K on and only serviced at Jag dealers. They replaced the a headlight module at 3K, then a complete head light because it had water in it in San Diego!
Car was in the rain maybe once in its life. 5K. Then they had to replace a headlight again around 8 or 9 K because they were mismatched. One was Silver and one was Black! " We have never seen this
car before" yes but certified Jag dealers have and I have the documentation! "You can call Jag NA." Your the God dam dealer you call them. If you don't want to work on the car just say so and I will take it elsewhere.

So I am finding out the CPO warranty does stand for **** and they really don't want to cover anything even if it is known issue like the speaker set up in the coupe. Then they wonder why I will never buy a new car from them. Really? At least look at what is wrong with the car before you tell me it is not covered!
I am interested in what they determine to be the cause of the whine sound as I have it as well. They told me I needed to get an alignment as the tires were wearing unevenly. I paid for the alignment but still hear the sound after a few weeks. My f-type is two years old.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wait for plugs!

Special oil indeed. Wait until you have those $27 spark plugs replaced....
In all fairness though some of the plugs, like the air filter on this car , are extremely awkward to replace. But the cost of the plugs, like the oil itself, is incredibly inflated.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:42 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I figure the cost of the correct oil and filter to be around $120. Add another $120 or $130 for a Mityvac and the special oil filter wrench and you have invested ~ $250 or so. As others have mentioned, a DIY oil & filter change is very simple, no need to jack up the car, remove the underbody panel, pull the plug and get hot oil all over your wrist and garage floor. Well, that has been know to happen to yours truly a time or two...
Anyway, the initial investment for the oil, filter, Mityvac & wrench are much less than many dealers charge for an oil & filter change and then next time, you only need to buy the oil & filter. My plan is to do oil & filter changes myself in between the free changes that my dealer will provide every 16,000 miles under warranty. I have been wrenching on my own cars for the last 50 years although given the complexity of cars in the last 20 years, most of that work has just been simple things like fluid and filter changes, intake and cabin air filters and those types of services. I have saved a ton of money, know that it is done right, and feel like I am bonding with my cars when I give them some TLC and not just treat them as a commodity for transportation.

Island Maser (04-03-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 11:53 AM
LCS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Synthetic

oh my! I always request the best appropriate synthetic they have and never paid that much. Did they perform other services?

Old 04-03-2021, 07:23 AM

Looked at a couple warranty items which they said were not covered before they even looked at the car or looked at the cars history! Had some head light issues where modules were replaced and head lights replaced.
Low beams were pointed 10 feet in front of the car. Couldn't see at night- high beams were fine. Obviously some one didn't reset them. "We have never seen this car before". No but other Jag dealers have are you not a Jag dealer? They like to ask did you buy it here? "So you don't want to service the car"? In N Scottsdale Penske has Audi (Bought an S6 from them), Jag, Maserati, Ferrari, Lambo, Austin, Porsche, Rolls, Bentley, Mini and VW. Very nice stores but there service is horrible. Had the wife's VW in for a simple airbag recall and fix a stinky ac. Heater core case gets funky and needs a cleaning. I asked for a quote. Never got it. It is $175 to take a look at it! I asked for a quote to fix it not $175 for your opinion! Got a quote finally for $250! So it would have cost my wife $425! I hate when they try ripping off women. Oh as she pulled up with 7:45 appointment and waited. I took over the waiting as I had a meeting to get too. They proceed to check in 4 more cars that came 10 minutes after me while I was still waiting. WTF! Started out on a bad foot. I had my indy VW certified wrench fix her AC for $89! Then they wonder why you don't buy anything new from them. They are a sell you one car and done type of dealer. I did have one positive experience at this location but it was the Maserati/Ferrari store. I was looking a Cayman GTS and asked about pre-purchase inspection. "We don't do that here" Fine and you will never see that car either. There competition. "Bring right in and we will put it up on the rack". Tell me where you would take your car for service?

Old 04-03-2021, 08:56 AM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Great discussion and useful info. Let's keep naming names for who's good and bad and spend our dollars accordingly.

Quick Reply: $330 Jag Oil change