F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $500.00 Roofing Nail

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:07 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts
Default The $500.00 Roofing Nail

Yes, you've probably all guessed that I picked up at roofing nail in one of my tires--the left rear to be exact. I found out that new cars aren't exempt from such things. Imagine that.
What I assumed would be a simple visit to the local tire store has become quite an interesting ordeal, however. First store said they didn't have the equipment to service the tire, and the next three stores I visited all said they couldn't repair it because the puncture was not within the prescribed tread area (this in spite of Pirelli's website being in disagreement.)
Rather than argue or look for other alternative fixes I ordered a replacement tire from Tire Rack and had it mounted and balanced at their recommended partner after about a week of being without my car. After a few days of driving on the new rubber I detected a new and unusual sensation from the left rear so took the tire back to the installer to have the balance checked. They performed a "road force balance" and said the tire was too far out of specs to balance properly. Fortunately the installer was able to effect the order of a replacement tire. I now await the arrival of the replacement and am keeping my fingers crossed that this one works out better.
Of course, I declined the optional tire warranty coverage when I purchased the car, not knowing that any tires were not covered for road hazards.
There is no real point to this saga, but I could have plugged the original tire myself and not lost the use of the car for a week.
Also, I guess I can't bemoan the absence of a spare inasmuch as it would require a small trailer to haul it.
BTW while the tire and rim were separated I weighed them. The tire came in at 20 lbs. and the rim 40lbs.
Sassy out

Old 07-08-2022, 07:14 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

That sucks, I got a nail in mine shortly after purchase too. Luckily they plugged it. Just took wife's porsche to dealer yesterday for a nail as well. Good times. 🤣

Old 07-08-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 401 Posts

I did luck out a while back when we were out of town and I visually spotted a nail head in the outer tread of one of my rears. My air pressure was holding, so I gingerly drove home and went straight to my local tire shop. I was fully expecting to be told it was time to order a new set of rears, but, as it turns out, it was only the head of a nail with just enough spike to hold it in place. In the tread, no loss of air, and it popped out with a screwdriver.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Its construction season.

I removed the screw & plugged the hole, because, you know, I just HATE IT when they get all rusty!

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:59 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

The tip off that I had a nail in my tire was my brother saying that when I went around a turn (he was behind me) he saw sparks!

Another time I had the rare privilege to get a nail in a tire one day, patched it, then got a sheet rock screw in another tire the next day. Gotta love those lazy construction guys who don't clean their trucks.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Years ago the rear tire of my of my pick up went flat instantly. The Goodyear shop removed a pair of needle nose pliers from inside the tire, minus the handle on one side. I couldn't believe it.

Last edited by SouthSider; 07-08-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Had an instant flat on my Mazda 3 turbo. A steak knife punctured the tire.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 19FRG
That sucks, I got a nail in mine shortly after purchase too. Luckily they plugged it. Just took wife's porsche to dealer yesterday for a nail as well. Good times. 🤣
Wouldn't have been so hard to swallow if the tire had more than 1200 miles on it.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:51 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SassySarah
Wouldn't have been so hard to swallow if the tire had more than 1200 miles on it.
Yep. Most nails hit the back tires from the fronts kicking them up. Almost Everytime ive had nails over the years its been on the rear. Maybe we should invent a rocker or underside magnet to snag em. 🤣

Old 07-08-2022, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SouthSider
Years ago the rear tire of my of my pick up went flat instantly. The Goodyear shop removed a pair of needle nose pliers minus the handle on one side. I couldn't believe it.
We had pliers in the tires, too! (Say THAT 3X fast)

I still have those pliers....

++++++++++

On daily driver rubber with plenty of tread depth, the tread can hold onto objects, adding to the chance of receiving a puncture on a NEW tire.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:25 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife hit a piece of curb that someone dislodged along the side of the road. Unfortunately, there was rebar tuck in the curb as well. She was 1 mile from home. Those Dunlap runflat tires did their job and got her home in the XK. She does not care about the performance aspect of tires anymore. Only if they are runflats.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:59 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Saturday night leaving an Independence Day party at a friends house. Left rear flat , wouldn’t take air , nothing open 11 pm on a holiday weekend Saturday night. Luckily , roadside assistance picked up the tab for this 45 mile joy ride back to my house. Ordered 2 tires from Priority Tire, awaiting delivery this afternoon.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Must admit that tire problems are one of my concerns driving the F-Type far from home in remote places.
Almost impossible to expect a matching replacement if the tire can not be repaired.
Has anyone had luck using the onboard inflator plus goop?

Old 07-09-2022, 08:57 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup... been there. Am starting to think that nailing a tire is a right of passage for a new vehicle. Happened to my Jag on the way to a critical appointment an hour from home on a Friday Morning. Had to stop twice for air refills. And without knowing the problem, I was loath to use the inflator and goop.

Called triple A to get me to a nearby Goodyear dealer. They only confirmed that it was a nail (bolt actually), that they didn't have the tire in stock, and that they couldn't get one through any of their sources (nobody said anything about patching it.) So, they pumped up the tire and I moved it to the parking lot outside.

Thinking to use the JLR emergency road service, I press the red button! Got a call (hey, it worked!) and arranged to have a tow to the nearest JLR dealer (of course, two hours and a ferry ride away.) Meanwhile, I'm stuck in the car without a phone charging cord. (Note to self... don't do that again!!!)

Five hours later, still no tow truck. Goodyear dealer closed. Got tired of people calling me out and saying "Nice car! Do you know you have a flat?". So, I called the number the driver had earlier texted me, who told me I should call the shop... and he had to lookup the number for me. Called them, negotiated through voice mail to get a warm body, who was finally able to confirm that the tow truck broke down (!) and they had scheduled another. ETA was in another 3+ hours. (!!) Of course, by then the JLR dealer is closed for the weekend..

Finally, gave up and had AAA tow me home. Monday, got on the phone and called the nearest JLR dealers. They had a tire, but weren't sure if it was the right one... just bring it in an they'll see. (Apparently, Pirelli makes a specific-labeled P-Zero for the F-type.... check for a "JRS" on the tire.). Gave up with JLR and called the local Les Schwab. The manager called me back in two hours saying he'd have one for me the next day. After another AAA tow, Les Schwab replaced the tire for a reasonable cost, and plugged the old tire for free.

So, now I have a spare tire and an appreciation for Les Schwab dealers.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:22 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Jaguar dealer found nail in right rear tire on annual service in June. They offered to fit a new tire for $660, I said "no way." I had new tires fitted 6,000 miles ago at CostCo and thankfully had hazard insurance, the tire was replaced with a new tire for $10.00. CostCo said they couldn't plug the nail due to where it was (right where the sidewall meets the tread), not sure that's correct.
Before I could take the car back to CostCo I had to use it for a day drive on business -- 75 miles each way. The tire had been holding air, but after CostCo checked it and ordered a new one (but before it could be fitted) I had to use the car and it was now loosing air, going from 36 to low 20s every 5-hours or 50-miles. I found that CostCo had locations everywhere I went and they have free air-stations out in the parking-lot with accurate gauges, easy to find and top off.
I do have the goop and the mini-compressor, the goop is now 7 years old, do you think I should order fresh? What is the shelf-life on this stuff? I hope to never have to use it...
I did order the spare tire for the car, I rarely carry it as it takes up a lot of room in the back. But when my tires are close to end of life, or on days like when I had to drive with a leak, it was good peace of mind to carry the tire (and the business trip was a success).

F-Type Spare Tire 2015 Coupe

Old 07-09-2022, 09:30 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Good for you to going to Costco, instead of staying within the walled garden that is Jag. Jaguar tires are not made of magic sauce, please don't think that the car has to go to them for tire service. Costco, Discount Tire, Jag, etc, all get their tires from the same place. Think outside the box and save $$$

Old 07-09-2022, 09:46 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I love Costco and find myself buying crap I don't need all the time but will say I have yet to ever find Costco cheaper than Discount Tire. When Costco runs their Michelin sale it still comes out the same as Discounts sale on the same tire. Or at least every time I have purchased tires for any of my current cars or past cars. For me Discount Tire has been great and they fix flats for free as well.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by theEIger
Apparently, Pirelli makes a specific-labeled P-Zero for the F-type.... check for a "JRS" on the tire.
All the tyres I've seen have a "J" in a circle to denote Jaguar (both Pirelli and Dunlop). Never seen "JRS".

Old 07-09-2022, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I love Costco and find myself buying crap I don't need all the time but will say I have yet to ever find Costco cheaper than Discount Tire. When Costco runs their Michelin sale it still comes out the same as Discounts sale on the same tire. Or at least every time I have purchased tires for any of my current cars or past cars. For me Discount Tire has been great and they fix flats for free as well.
Discount Tire is owned by Tire Rack (or vice versa). That's why Discount Tire was able to effect the order of a replacement for the new tire I had only driven on for a week or so and would not balance correctly.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
All the tyres I've seen have a "J" in a circle to denote Jaguar (both Pirelli and Dunlop). Never seen "JRS".
We drove for two years with AMG-branded rear PZeros. Couldn't tell if that's better or worse than the Jaguar-branded/specified tires. (Tyres?)

Quick Reply: The $500.00 Roofing Nail