Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Rattle / Vibration fix** Service Bulletin out NOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Hard to understand Foosh. Followup call backs cost a lot of money, unless Jag gets it from the supplier of the bad part (maybe in the case of the stereo). There must be an underlying business agreement that creates this not understood process. I do QA/QC for my company and we try to eliminate systemamatic issues ASAP as they are costly to resolve after the fact.
Hi Jaguny, I was one of the most vocal about this issue, and the good and bad mix as Foosh states made me equally as curious as the fix itself. He is right, and I went through Jaguar NA, and together they fixed it with me....zeroing in on the rattles, vibrations, etc. Is it perfect? Nope! is it much improved, yes.

I also mentioned the QA point you stated several times, and yes the QA folks must be sleeping as this is unacceptable for an exotic vehicle such as Jaguar. One thing to keep in mind that I just adjusted this weekend. When they fix the stereo with the recall, and plenty of Dyn-O-Mat, take the balance and fade it 2/3 to the back and 1/3 to the front. Then crank the volume to the levels that you would like. The majority of the base is in the door speakers (bottom), and minimal if any base in the back. Those are not "SUB" woofers, but rather woofers, and my dog woofs more base than these. The sound then gets really good, however the volume is cranked 25% at least higher to compensate.

I hope the fix gets done for you, and JLNA once you get the right person is awesome at this fix.....however it has to be costing them a small fortune, vs. doing it right the first time. Continuous Improvement? Good Lord!

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Thank you for your efforts and detailed response. I was told by the service tech at my dealer that the TSB foam add ins, etc. we're done at the factory before the car was shipped over from the UK. Was that the same with your car AND then additional work was done at the dealer? Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your efforts and detailed response. I was told by the service tech at my dealer that the TSB foam add ins, etc. we're done at the factory before the car was shipped over from the UK. Was that the same with your car AND then additional work was done at the dealer? Thanks again.
No, they actually took my terrible system, and dynomatted the hell out of it. There was nothing done at the factory. I went once, and they did a terrible job, using old dynomat which wasn't cutting it. The engineer from JLR came to the dealer listened and didn't leave that day until it was done to my/our liking. The factory blew it. The sound is better, no rattles etc., but the sound is a bit muted as a result. Oh well....could have been worse. It sounds fine now. Maybe this is with the 16's, but wasn't with my 15. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Joe,

He's talking about the '16 and now later models that supposedly had the "fixes" applied at the factory, making the TSB not applicable to them.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Joe,

He's talking about the '16 and now later models that supposedly had the "fixes" applied at the factory, making the TSB not applicable to them.
Hi, yep I saw that thus the reason I referenced mine was a 15, not to confuse the two. Thanks Foosh for re-clarifying an important point.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like Jaguar Customer Care was not too helpful in getting resolution with the rattle/vibration issue with the stereo and said that the dealer stated they will not fix it since they couldn't hear it... even though I sat with the technican and he heard the issue and stated this to the service advisor. Jaguar CC said he talked to the service manager who denied that they found a problem. Jaguar CC is standing behind the service manager at this point. I will need to take it to another dealer. Jaguar CC has been working on this for a month trying to call the service manager who never wanted to respond. Kind of disappointed with Jaguar at this point. The buzzing and vibration has gotten even worse.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Mine isn't as bad with the replacement of the amplifier unit, but still not free of vibration in bass. The satellite radio may be the worst sounding of all the modes.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
Looks like Jaguar Customer Care was not too helpful in getting resolution with the rattle/vibration issue with the stereo and said that the dealer stated they will not fix it since they couldn't hear it... even though I sat with the technican and he heard the issue and stated this to the service advisor. Jaguar CC said he talked to the service manager who denied that they found a problem. Jaguar CC is standing behind the service manager at this point. I will need to take it to another dealer. Jaguar CC has been working on this for a month trying to call the service manager who never wanted to respond. Kind of disappointed with Jaguar at this point. The buzzing and vibration has gotten even worse.

Don't give up! Keep pushing and hopefully they will resolve it for you. This isn't a Hyundai's price of a car nor its music system!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 355rockit
Unacceptable Customer Care, and makes one wonder what the devil a Mfg. and a Dealer must be thinking about "long term strategic positioning"! Deplorable response.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Evening-

I am new to the forum and have just purchased a CPO 2016 f type R and am scouring these forums bc my upgraded meridian surround sounds so awful. I had the tsb where they updated the amplifier module software and that made a little difference, but I still have buzzing from the tweeters and blown out bass. Im in the Philadelphia area and you stated that you went to a dealer in NJ that took care of your issue. Do you mind sharing which dealership that is?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I showed my dealership this bulletin and they refused to fix the rattling. They said the fix had to be done within the manufacturer warranty and didn't apply to CPO vehicles... I didn't feel like arguing but am planning on going back and getting another opinion from a supervisor. Any advice?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

JLR should be ashamed if they don't fix every vehicle with this issue and that it took them as long as it did to issue a TSB. Is the place where you bought it also where you are trying to have it fixed?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

@rajopotamus @Jst2gtby

If the issue is the common buzz 'n' rattle, remember that TSBs are service aids (not recalls) so even if a dealer did it for you, you'd be expected to pay on a non-covered vehicle.

That said, ISTR some topics here (or on YouTube) that detail the steps needed to stop or reduce those rattling sounds. Some Dynamat and foam insulation seem to be the only parts required.

While my F doesn't suffer from these issues, I would be willing to help rajo do the repair. I remember at least one other owner that did the factory 'fix' himself as he didn't want the dealer mucking with his F.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:42 PM

The good news is that I’m still under factory warranty! The rattles are one thing but the general blown out sound with certain notes/songs is another. I have a Range Rover sport with the upgraded meridian audio which I thought was decent but now think is amazing after being in the f type - I literally have never seen such a poor effort into a high end sound system.

I really love sound and listening to music and although I’m kot upset just listening to this motor - I don’t want to feel like there is a fix or similar system In other peoples cars that don’t rattle and sound like crap!

I have a follow up appointment on May 7th with a dealer. I have actually discussed some of this rattle and audio and other issues with JLR customer service - so we’ll see what pans out when they reach back out in a couple days.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by rajopotamus
The good news is that I’m still under factory warranty! The rattles are one thing but the general blown out sound with certain notes/songs is another. I have a Range Rover sport with the upgraded meridian audio which I thought was decent but now think is amazing after being in the f type - I literally have never seen such a poor effort into a high end sound system.

I really love sound and listening to music and although I’m kot upset just listening to this motor - I don’t want to feel like there is a fix or similar system In other peoples cars that don’t rattle and sound like crap!

I have a follow up appointment on May 7th with a dealer. I have actually discussed some of this rattle and audio and other issues with JLR customer service - so we’ll see what pans out when they reach back out in a couple days.
Even if you have to pay for the TSB, it's worth it. Solved all my buzzing and lack of presence (tinny sounding) issues and the system sounds good now.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Even after the TSB software fix, if you really like music I would minimally do the oem door speaker upgrade and door dynomat. Not expensive and well worth it.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (04-30-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
As for the TSB, don't want to mislead anybody. His '16 was fixed in the same way that mine was, since the unit sounded "HORRIBLE". The TSB messaging and fix "by foam/Dynomat" is something that was initially started by a few of us in the JLR community, who as you all know on the forum wouldn't let go. We were driven like rabid dogs to get this resolved, and get it recognized that this is a problem. Having a TSB as a result of people constructively speaking is a great outcome, but the 16 surprised me. I just think the problem/fix/stereo issue(s) were a fix that warranted the same actions as my 15 did. I do know that JLR NA used my cars scenario and "fix" as a way of informing corporate that "Houston, we have a problem here". They were terrific to work with when they realized that a) - I wanted to work with them to fix it, and b) - they sent an engineer out to listen and he recognized that it was real as well. They sent all of the reports in, up to and including the wonderful way that the dealership and engineer fixed it to my liking by doing this or that to the vehicle. We were all driven to a result, and we achieved it together. I subsequently sent several people with the problem to the same dealer who performed my fix and they were equally satisfied, as was the owner of the 16 that I referenced.

In summary, his was possibly fixed by elements of the TSB, but my assumption is that the TSB for the rattle is the same fix that they performed for me in getting my unit to a "decent" sounding result as it should of. His sounds good now and he is happy, whether under the umbrella of a formalized TSB fix, or not. They are both cousins, my fix and the subsequent TSB for sure.
Which dealership did you get your audio problems resolved with? My car goes in tomorrow and it’s so frustrating trying to convey the proper issues to the service advisors who are quick to write things off as unverifiable. Maybe having a history and ability to contact a different dealership may help diagnose the issue. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

My dealer is Piehler JLR of Rochester, NY. They applied the TSB right after my car came out of winter storage(which I believe is one or two years ago this April?). The fix came out in November or December of the previous year. The exact TSB is in this thread somewhere.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM

My dealer is Piehler JLR of Rochester, NY. They applied the TSB right after my car came out of winter storage(which I believe is one or two years ago this April?). The fix came out in November or December of the previous year. The exact TSB is in this thread somewhere.
My Vin is in the k27700 range which is just after the cutoff for that TSB - they are saying there is no TSBs for my Vin - they are reinstalling the software now but im not very confident that will resolve anything since they've apparently already applied that once. Do you mind letting me know what VIN range you were in so I can know if anyone has been able to get this taken care of outside of that TSB vin range? I really appreciate you taking time our to reply to my posts multiple years after you've had your car fixed.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by rajopotamus
My Vin is in the k27700 range which is just after the cutoff for that TSB - they are saying there is no TSBs for my Vin - they are reinstalling the software now but im not very confident that will resolve anything since they've apparently already applied that once. Do you mind letting me know what VIN range you were in so I can know if anyone has been able to get this taken care of outside of that TSB vin range? I really appreciate you taking time our to reply to my posts multiple years after you've had your car fixed.
I’m in the same range. The software update alone fully resolved the issue.

Quick Reply: **Rattle / Vibration fix** Service Bulletin out NOW