F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~ any way to quiet the exhaust at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ~ any way to quiet the exhaust at start up?

for my wife thinks its obnoxious and annoying to the neighbors...

perhaps anyway to eliminate the full rpm bump at start up and just start up at an idle like most cars?

love the exhaust noise while driving!

thanks in advance!

Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Two options:

Sell the car is cheaper.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I have no idea how to quiet this feature.. maybe your Jaguar mechanic knows how through computer settings.

I love the exhaust sound while driving, but would like to be able to get rid of the actual 'snap and pops' at times ... just personal preference.
Lawrence.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Bananas....

anyways, no not really and Im sure if you start it up in Dynamic mode pre 6 hours of non operation (if you drive it in D mode), the sound is even louder.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

my neighbor's wife seems to enjoy it as I get up 5AM everyday to the gym

Old 12-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew f type
for my wife thinks its obnoxious and annoying to the neighbors...
She's right! .....(I annoy, therefore I am)

The switch/brake sequencing that Mahjik references looks very useful.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
She's right! .....(I annoy, therefore I am)

The switch/brake sequencing that Mahjik references looks very useful.
As posted in the thread, it unfortuntely doesn't work.

The first start from cold is loud regardless of the sequence of events. If you turn off and restart after the first cold start, the subsequent start is quieter. It's nothing to do with what you do, the first start is always turned up to 11 and another start shortly afterwards isn't.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

This reminds me of a magazine review of the F-type where the writer essentially said that starting the car in the morning will make your neighbors hate you, but then he digests that if you can afford this car then your neighbors probably wont be close enough to hear you anyway.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
That self-castration comment from lunagry is pretty awesome. I kinda miss that crazy guy.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
That self-castration comment from lunagry is pretty awesome. I kinda miss that crazy guy.
Miss him? I didn't realize he was gone?
Lawrence.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:41 PM
RDB
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try putting it into D quickly after starting, that can muffle it a bit. Not too quick though as the shifter won't accept the shift if it's too soon (will flash D at you and you will need to restart). The start up noise is quite a bit louder at first cold start.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
As posted in the thread, it unfortuntely doesn't work.
Too bad. Guess we just have to resort to stuffing fiberglass up the tailpipes when trying to make a stealth departure at 5 a.m.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the car in N and push it backwards down the driveway (hopefully it's on a decline). Start once on the street

Old 12-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Your neighbours need educating ;-)

You don't say whether you have a V6 or V8, but essentially the procedure as follows will disable the loud startup:

1. Obtain 2 or 4 (Depending on which model you have) potatoes, NOT bananas as earlier suggested
2. Insert them into the exhaust pipes
3. Foot on the brake, hit the starter - ahhh peace
4. After around 30 seconds the potatoes (if not cooked) will exit due to build up of pressure and you are ready for the off.

My neighbours think I am obnoxious showering their house with potatoes every morning! However my wife is happy as we always have plenty of potato salad in fridge ;-)
Some people hey?!

Old 12-15-2014, 03:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It can be fixed by trading the jag in for a boring but respectful to the neighbors tesla or prius.

Just for the love of god don't fill out any of those post purchase jaguar surveys complaining about the "annoying loud startup sounds that should be made more like a prius out of respect to neighbors". I love the loud startup in the enclosed garage of my building, neighbors be damned.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

IIRC the exhaust valves are vacuum operated and isn't there a small vacuum pump and reservoir in the left rear quarter? The XK guys like to pull the fuse to disable the pump so the valves never close and it is loud all the time. Sounds like you want the opposite effect.

Pure speculation here but perhaps it is that the vacuum has bled down over night and the pump doesn't run long enough to get a strong enough vacuum to close the valves.

If it is like a fuel pump it may run a couple of seconds when the car is turned on (not started). You could try cycling the "key" a few times before starting rather than just turning on once.

If you really want to figure it out, you could check vacuum pressures to see if that's really what is happened when cold and modify the pump to run on command or for a period of time before starting.

Again, all speculation, but it is a mechanical system, so there will be some way to make it do what you want.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
IIRC the exhaust valves are vacuum operated and isn't there a small vacuum pump and reservoir in the left rear quarter? The XK guys like to pull the fuse to disable the pump so the valves never close and it is loud all the time. Sounds like you want the opposite effect.

Pure speculation here but perhaps it is that the vacuum has bled down over night and the pump doesn't run long enough to get a strong enough vacuum to close the valves.

If it is like a fuel pump it may run a couple of seconds when the car is turned on (not started). You could try cycling the "key" a few times before starting rather than just turning on once.

If you really want to figure it out, you could check vacuum pressures to see if that's really what is happened when cold and modify the pump to run on command or for a period of time before starting. Moreover, cars without that system are plenty loud when revved.

Again, all speculation, but it is a mechanical system, so there will be some way to make it do what you want.
No, that's not it. Even cars without the valves (active sports exhaust system) rev high on initial start-up. That's just the way the ECU is programmed.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Miss him? I didn't realize he was gone?
Lawrence.
Yeah he got himself banned...went out like he arrived: in a blazing trail of hilarity and bullsh*t!

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Yeah he got himself banned...went out like he arrived: in a blazing trail of hilarity and bullsh*t!
Perhaps he took a line from Groucho Marx and chose not to be a member of any club which would want him as a member?

Quick Reply: ~ any way to quiet the exhaust at start up?