Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Charging system fault”

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 05:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default “Charging system fault”

Hi everyone
I am a little bit puzzled by this message showing on the dash of my R for the last few days
since my R is a 2015 car, it has two batteries (all originals, negative lead of main battery was showing some deposits and was cleaned).
Main battery is showing 12.7V at rest a few hours after CTEK charging
when cranking, voltage is never dropping under 10 volts (around 11V is the lowest) and going to 13.7V once alternator kicks in
No problems whatsoever when driving the car even with lights on, AC at maximum, radio on, etc.
Voltage at rest 24 hours after a ride is showing 12.5V if not put on charger
Since I did clean the negative terminal, I had to remove the negative lead a few times, thus resetting everything.
But no luck, same message showing right after ignition
Tried to disconnect the auxiliary battery by removing its own negative lead but same thing
no OBDII codes whatsoever
In my view, even though the AGM main battery is 6 years old, it looks like it is working at it should. Same for the alternator.
what else am I missing ??

thanks !

Last edited by calvado; 07-28-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:41 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Mine goes well over 14V when the alternator kicks in. But your 12.5V after 24 hours seems fine, too.

The following users liked this post:
calvado (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by calvado
Hi everyone
I am a little bit puzzled by this message showing on the dash of my R for the last few days
since my R is a 2015 car, it has two batteries (all originals, negative lead of main battery was showing some deposits and was cleaned).
Main battery is showing 12.7V at rest a few hours after CTEK charging
when cranking, voltage is never dropping under 10 volts (around 11V is the lower) and going to 13.7V once alternator kicks in
No problems whatsoever when driving the car even with lights on, AC at maximum, radio on, etc.
Voltage at rest 24 hours after a ride is showing 12.5V if not put on charger
Since I did clean the negative terminal, I had to remove the negative lead a few times, thus resetting everything.
But no luck, same message showing right after ignition
Tried to disconnect the auxiliary battery by removing its own negative lead but same thing
no OBDII codes whatsoever
In my view, even though the AGM main battery is 6 years old, it looks like it is working at it should. Same for the alternator.
what else am I missing ??

thanks !
If you haven't already I would suggest testing it with a battery tester (or bring to auto store to do so). Batteries can show high volts and seem to charge, but when they begin to fail, the CCA and CA's will drop to nothing under a load.

I would at least test that, before going in to looking for wiring or other problems. Also, 6 years old, is pretty long for any battery.

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
calvado (07-29-2021), JeffreyB (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

It may be something a little more in depth than just a battery. Alternator is wired with a bi-directional LIN bus. The alternator may be fine, but the logic that the vehicle is reading could be causing an issue. It sends a signal to the Gateway Module which then sends the charging message out to cluster and other integral modules that need to know that info.

SYSTEM OPERATIONThe output voltage required from the generator and regulator is calculated by the Gateway Module (GWM). Refer to: Battery and Cables (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, Description and Operation).

The GWM transmits the primary battery information over the Medium and High speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus to the ECM. Based on the information received from the BMS control module, the ECM will control the output from the generator and request the switching off of electrical loads if necessary via the GWM on the High speed CAN bus. The GWM controls the generator voltage regulator via the LIN bus connection and can adjust the generator output applicable to demand.

The GWM also signals the IC to display a warning message if it detects a fault with the generator and regulator. Refer to: Instrument Cluster (413-01 Instrument Cluster, Description and Operation).

The GWM also controls the charge warning indicator in the IC. Failure of the generator or regulator to provide sufficient charge for the primary battery to support vehicle demand, the GWM will instruct the IC via the High speed CAN bus to illuminate the charge warning indicator.

On vehicles with a dual battery system, the GWM will also illuminate the charge warning indicator for faults relating to the secondary battery, GWM or Dual Battery Module (DBM).

The following users liked this post:
calvado (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a simple Gateway Module software update is the only thing required afterall.

Originally Posted by Rummy636
It may be something a little more in depth than just a battery. Alternator is wired with a bi-directional LIN bus. The alternator may be fine, but the logic that the vehicle is reading could be causing an issue. It sends a signal to the Gateway Module which then sends the charging message out to cluster and other integral modules that need to know that info.

SYSTEM OPERATIONThe output voltage required from the generator and regulator is calculated by the Gateway Module (GWM). Refer to: Battery and Cables (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, Description and Operation).

The GWM transmits the primary battery information over the Medium and High speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus to the ECM. Based on the information received from the BMS control module, the ECM will control the output from the generator and request the switching off of electrical loads if necessary via the GWM on the High speed CAN bus. The GWM controls the generator voltage regulator via the LIN bus connection and can adjust the generator output applicable to demand.

The GWM also signals the IC to display a warning message if it detects a fault with the generator and regulator. Refer to: Instrument Cluster (413-01 Instrument Cluster, Description and Operation).

The GWM also controls the charge warning indicator in the IC. Failure of the generator or regulator to provide sufficient charge for the primary battery to support vehicle demand, the GWM will instruct the IC via the High speed CAN bus to illuminate the charge warning indicator.

On vehicles with a dual battery system, the GWM will also illuminate the charge warning indicator for faults relating to the secondary battery, GWM or Dual Battery Module (DBM).

Old 07-29-2021, 07:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Interesting. My second battery has been dead for at least a year (ECO turns itself off shortly after starting), but I’ve never gotten a message related to it.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by calvado
Maybe a simple Gateway Module software update is the only thing required afterall.
I doubt it but doesnt hurt to try.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:54 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Check for oil leak from timing chain cover onto alternator. Happened to me and others.