F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Miles In The F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 1000 Miles In The F-Type

I've had a ton of fun putting the first 1000 miles in this car. I am at the point where I now think I can write about my experience in it objectively.

From that first test drive where I opened up the throaty supercharged V8, the sound of the car still gets to me - every time in fact. I've owned and still own plenty of hot cars but there's nothing quite like the sound you get from the V8s F-Type with the baffles open. It's one of my favorite things about the car.

I drive most of the time top down but the top goes up quickly (and at 30mph) and when it's up, the car is remarkably quiet for a convertible. I'd say about the same as my XK and XKR. The up-level radio from Meridian is very nice, but I think that I've changed my opinion about it. In this car it's wasted. The space is too small for an expensive stereo and with the top down and the engine roaring who wants to listen to the radio? I do want to note that the top level radio package comes with an XM radio but no free subscription period. On a car like this I think it's a bit cheap of Jaguar not to throw in at least three months. So buyer beware. Not a big deal but just wanted to alert you who were expecting that you might get some free sat radio service.

The car continues to draw more attention than just about anything out there. The valet at the M-Resort here in Vegas said it was the sexiest car he'd parked in 15 years. That is the typical reaction. People just can't get enough of it. At our weekly cars and coffee the car gets as much attention as million dollar super cars sitting near by.

I am a very large guy. 6'1" 285 and I find the car a little tight on a long drive. My XKR has much more interior room even though the cars don't look that different on the outside. That said, the car is more than comfortable enough for a nice 45 minute jaunt through the hills. Most people who buy it won't notice because most people aren't as fat as me

The driving experience is everything you'd hope for. Steering is superb. The 8-speed gearbox is MUCH smoother than the PDK on the 911. The paddle shifters are fun but frankly I've tested the automatic against my own shifting ability and the car out shifts me about 90% of the time.

The power is spread evenly across the seven gears (8th is overdrive) and the braking is really solid. The car is more like a muscle car than any other European car I've ever driven. Usually you get roll-on torque in a European car. Somewhere around 3rd of 4th gear most European cars start to kick ***. But the F-Type is there in first gear. I can chirp the tires in gears 1-4. The traction control works well and I'd advise leaving it on if you're not very sure of your driving skills. With it off this baby drifts like Ken Block was driving. I think that's a good thing - not everyone will agree.

I think the car handles better than I expected it to. It goes right where I want it to and delivers me all the feedback I need. The styling and the color (Firesand Metalic) have both grown on me to the point where I am very happy with that choice.

If I have any complaint it's where I expected it to be. Getting all that power to the wheels can be a challenge. I am going to drift off the P Zeros that came with the car and try to get some Michelin Pilot Cups. I also hear Perrelli is working on a more track-focused tire for the car to come out sometime this fall. I'll try them as well.

One other little nit. Jaguar should not equip the Firesand Metalic colored cars with red brake calipers. They clash with the car color. I matched the paint code (Jaguar EAT) and had my calipers painted orange to match. I also blacked out the tail lights and next am having all the badges treated with black chrome so I can have a murdered out black and orange car.

I added the carbon fiber engine cover. It's crazy expensive but it makes the car shine when you open the hood at a car show. I am going to stay with the gloss black look on the car and not add any more carbon fiber for now. I am not a fan of the Jaguar carbon fiber wheels. They are about $7000 if you order them separately and they are just standard wheels with some carbon fiber pieces glued on.

The interior of the car is nicer than the XKR but possibly just one step below the new 911. Having bought both cars 60 days apart I am in a unique position to compare the two. I think that the F-type compares very favorably with the 911 cab - but the 911 coupe might have the edge on the race track - not that it matters since few people will actually track either car. While it's natural to compare the two cars (Jaguar's marketing and design team went straight after Porsche so I am not the only one doing it) I'd say that they are really quite different and have different personalities. So I'd say different not better.

This F-Type is at home on the track or on the highway. It's a joy to drive. It is a real attention getter and I am very happy with it. If you're on the fence - get off and pull the trigger. You won't be sorry.

Attached Thumbnails 1000 Miles In The F-Type-scottbourne-1.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott Bourne:
Paulfcdx (08-28-2013), SkipM (07-29-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Great review! Have you had it on the track yourself yet? Details ...

Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Great review! Have you had it on the track yourself yet? Details ...
Yes - twice. The first time I was pretty cautious both because I was unfamiliar with the car on a track and it had just crossed the break in period. The second time I let loose.

The car went where I wanted it to go. The brakes held. There was predictable under and over steer where you'd expect it to be. You can tune that a bit in the dynamic mode if you buy that option (A must for people who will track the car) and I topped the speed out at about 160 but there was headroom on the tach - I just ran out of straightaway.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Awesome review.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting this great review. One question. If you feel the F-Type is more of a muscle car do you think launch control would be a worthwhile addition?

Mike

Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Wait you bought 2 cars 60 days apart? The 911 and the F-Type or the F-Type and the XKR? 2 Convertibles?!?!? Scott Bourne is THE MAN!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by mjsammon
Thanks for posting this great review. One question. If you feel the F-Type is more of a muscle car do you think launch control would be a worthwhile addition?

Mike
yes

Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Wait you bought 2 cars 60 days apart? The 911 and the F-Type or the F-Type and the XKR? 2 Convertibles?!?!? Scott Bourne is THE MAN!!!!!!
LOL don't forget my 2013 Victory Cross Country motorcyle too I have a problem but there's no 12 step program for people like me.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I bought the XKR 18 months ago.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most everything Scott says after having my black w/red interior V8S for three weeks now. My only gripe would be with the exhaust. I'm fairly young (48) and love the sound of this car at full song. I would vote for the following two changes: 1) The ability to have the car cold start without opening the exhaust. The light does not come on, but it is apparent that this has been built into the software. Most of the time it is not an issue, but it does make a lot of unnecessary sound when I start up early in the morning at our cottage near Road America in Elkhart Lake. It would just be nice to have a more stealthy way of leaving. 2) There is not a huge difference between open and closed. Again, love the noise most of the time, but a little more reduction in the over run pops would be nice at times (and help to not attract the wrong kind of attention). I have friends with the following; GT3, Carrera GT and 430 Scuderia and this car is substantially louder than all of them. It's still a lot quieter than most of the Harleys around here though.

Great reviews Scott and thanks for sharing with us.

67 E-Type OTS Black/Red
67 E-Type OTS Red/Black (all original)
66 E-Type FHC Blue/Red
00 XKR Coupe Siver/Black
14 F-Type V8S Black/Red

Last edited by golichnik; 07-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SkipM (07-29-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
LOL don't forget my 2013 Victory Cross Country motorcyle too I have a problem but there's no 12 step program for people like me.
Sure there is:
Step 1: Buy a car
Step 2: Buy another car
Step 3: ...

Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott - has your impression of the upgraded Meridian audio system changed? Would you still order it if you had it to do all over again?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by myidsucks
Scott - has your impression of the upgraded Meridian audio system changed? Would you still order it if you had it to do all over again?
In the F-Type I would not order it if I had it to over again. It's wasted on a convertible.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After the disappointment of the stereo in the XKR, and the inability to hear the music at all once you crack 100, even mid 80's, I disagree and totally appreciate the mid range of the Meridian upgraded system - one of my biggest gripes of the 2011 B/W XKR

Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Does the upgraded stereo have any sort of speed-sensitive volume adjustment? I have the standard Meridian, and driving around town, I keep one hand on the volume control, so I can keep adjusting it. Sounds decent, though.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, for one am glad I got the upgraded system. When tweaked it sounds great, especially at higher volumes. It sounds much better than the Bose system I had in my 2012 Porsche 991 CS. If you like music, I think it's worth it.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Upgraded Stereo

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
In the F-Type I would not order it if I had it to over again. It's wasted on a convertible.

I have the upgraded system as well and love it. Don't really need it until you are on a drive but then cranking it up is wonderful. I like the extra headroom. Issue is you can't retrofit this and changing out the radio is not really an option either. I have a 2004 XKR and spent far more upgrading that sound system than this one cost so I'd rather have it and not need it, than not and wish I had. Just my 6 cents and I like my sound loud.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Does the upgraded stereo have any sort of speed-sensitive volume adjustment? I have the standard Meridian, and driving around town, I keep one hand on the volume control, so I can keep adjusting it. Sounds decent, though.
Nope...