F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 vs 17 differences? + other questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 03:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 16 vs 17 differences? + other questions.

I've been patiently waiting for prices to go down so I can finally pick up an R. Primarily looking at 16+ due to the infotainment and carplay compatibility. That being said, I can't seem to find any major differences between the 16 and 17's. Both have 5yr warranty with service included iirc, so aside from warranty expiration, there doesn't seem to be any differences. Is that correct? 16's are like 10k less than 17's, but I can find a 17 w/ CPO (although I've heard the CPO warranty is complete crap?).

I'd really like to get an SVR just for the exhaust, but I can't justify the 10k price difference for that. =/

Lastly, I know insurance rates vary greatly, but has anyone gotten a monthly quite at under 200/mo for full coverage?

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:46 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mikubus
I've been patiently waiting for prices to go down so I can finally pick up an R. Primarily looking at 16+ due to the infotainment and carplay compatibility. That being said, I can't seem to find any major differences between the 16 and 17's. Both have 5yr warranty with service included iirc, so aside from warranty expiration, there doesn't seem to be any differences. Is that correct? 16's are like 10k less than 17's, but I can find a 17 w/ CPO (although I've heard the CPO warranty is complete crap?).

I'd really like to get an SVR just for the exhaust, but I can't justify the 10k price difference for that. =/

Lastly, I know insurance rates vary greatly, but has anyone gotten a monthly quite at under 200/mo for full coverage?

Thanks.
I was set on a 17 for the same reasons (I bought mine like 20 months ago), but ended up getting exactly the color and equipment combination on a 2016 at a great price. Honestly, I listen to the exhaust more than the radio and the newer infotainment doesn't make a difference to me. Funny enough, I also assumed I would get an SVR but really didn't like the wing or the black wheels that most seemed to have when compared to the Type-R. Mine is CPO and I haven't had to use it yet; my original warranty just expired but I have called Jag USA about paying for my last "free" service and it has been worse than terrible - bad information, no follow-up and literally no contact for a month). For me, buying anything is about value - my car was exactly what I wanted and I did not have to pay a premium, in fact, I paid the same or less than the same year cars being sold now and they have more miles etc. The money I didn't spend rushing to have one right away (I looked for a long time and was patient) will be used for upgrades and to have money towards something else fun to drive. I know others will disagree but I wasn't going to pay $10-$12K more for one year and a different infotainment. Also, I had a 2020 discovery with the "newer" info system and I think it is terrible. not intuitive and cant stand seeing fingerprints all over the display. As far as insurance, that is based on the car (the f-type is in the more expensive to repair class), where you live, and you driving history etc. I get multi-car discounts etc, which help the price a little, but I think the f-type alone works out to be around $80 per month.

Last edited by gg2684; 07-23-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

16 doesn't have Carplay compatibility, and I'm pretty sure 17 doesn't either.

There are so many different factors that go into insurance quotes so I don't think this info is actually useful, but my 16 S is about $115 a month

The following users liked this post:
eeeeek (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Lani Kai

There are so many different factors that go into insurance quotes so I don't think this info is actually useful, but my 16 S is about $115 a month
Correct, no car play in the 16.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would probably go for the 15 to get RWD.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lani Kai

From what I've read, the 16+ cars have the updated TouchPro infotainment w/ the USB in the center console, which are eligible for the free update for CarPlay compatibility. It's the 15 and older cars that don't. Although it says it should have the 10.5" screen, I think the f-type TouchPro is 8"? If this is incorrect, is carplay only on 17? or only 18+? Reason is that I use navigation all the time, and factory systems are usually horrible and hard to use, so I never use them. One of the main things I'm looking for is carplay connectivity, whether via the stock system or aftermarket.

https://www.jaguar.com/owners_intern...l-upgrade.html

Last edited by mikubus; 07-23-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

From what I've read, the 16+ cars have the updated infotainment w/ the USB in the center console, which are eligible for the free update for CarPlay compatibility. It's the 15 and older cars that don't.
Yeah, I read that once, too. A whole bunch of us diid and got all excited. It isn't true, though. There's a whole thread about it burred here somewhere.

bb_sam (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the thread. Short version, neither 16 nor 17 can be upgraded to carplay without some pricey aftermarket enhancements.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-auto-225224/

Old 07-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Here's the thread. Short version, neither 16 nor 17 can be upgraded to carplay without some pricey aftermarket enhancements.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-auto-225224/
Damn... well, guess there's really no difference besides warranty between 16-17 cars. Were the infotainments the same for 16 and 17? 16's are available in the low-mid 40's which is a perfect price point.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Be careful with the '16 infotainment. One is the old system with a different skin that makes it look like the newer system, the other is the newer system. Over here we call the latter a 16.5MY, but in the US they dont have the differentiation. There is a thread somewhere that identifies it all by VIN.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Be careful with the '16 infotainment. One is the old system with a different skin that makes it look like the newer system, the other is the newer system. Over here we call the latter a 16.5MY, but in the US they dont have the differentiation. There is a thread somewhere that identifies it all by VIN.
Buggers. no visual differences at all? =/ Well, I guess I'll need to do some more research on the 16's then. Unless i can find a deal on a 17. Looking for a convertible with the black/white interior and vision pack. Exterior color doesn't matter too much as long as it's not red. LOL.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2020, 03:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

MY16 will be coming up to the end of the factory warranty in the US; my 16 with an in-service date of Nov '15 will run out later this year. An extra year of factory warranty is meaningful, so keep that in mind.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, I read that once, too. A whole bunch of us diid and got all excited. It isn't true, though. There's a whole thread about it burred here somewhere.
+1

You'll need a MY18.5 or MY19 to get carplay. There are no F-types earlier than 18.5 that are fitted with the bigger screen necessary for car play. Even though you won't get Car Play, the MY16.5 upgrades to the infotainment software make a HUGE difference. The MY16 was sooooo slow to react. If the infotainment is in any way important to you, spend the extra $$ for the MY17 or better.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Did the 2016 and 2017 model years have free servicing (how many years) in the US? And does it transfer with the car?

Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Did the 2016 and 2017 model years have free servicing (how many years) in the US? And does it transfer with the car?
Yes, for the duration of the warranty (5 years) and it is transferable

Old 07-24-2020, 04:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
+1

You'll need a MY18.5 or MY19 to get carplay. There are no F-types earlier than 18.5 that are fitted with the bigger screen necessary for car play. Even though you won't get Car Play, the MY16.5 upgrades to the infotainment software make a HUGE difference.
My MY18 (built March 2017) had a software update last time it was at the dealers and under the "Connectivity" setting I have both Car Play and Android Auto listed. This is with the 8" screen with buttons at each side. Haven't tried to use Car Play 'cos I'm not a fanboy, or Android Auto 'cos I just like driving the car.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct, no car play in the 16.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would probably go for the 15 to get RWD.
That is what I did great price and I did not want AWD for a play car. I will drive my 4X4 truck when weather is bad. I got a great car 16K miles for 40K win win to me.

eeeeek (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Black15FTR
That is what I did great price and I did not want AWD for a play car. I will drive my 4X4 truck when weather is bad. I got a great car 16K miles for 40K win win to me.
It's funny. I went with the 16 over a 15 because it's my daily driver and all the rags went on and on about how easily the rear kicks out on the RWD. Then, I found I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my AWD car due to the P-Zeros. I tried to ride out the original tires until they were worn away because I could not see tossing perfectly good tires. I signed up for a track day and figured I should put on some new rubber and OH MY GOD, did that transform the car. I should have put on different rubber sooner.

Now, knowing that many of the issues were due to horrible OEM tires, I really wish I had gone with the 2015. One year make, 2015 R, RWD. That's something special.

Not that I'm complaining about what I have. I will keep my '16 until I can't drive it anymore, then I'll move it into the living room.

Vik

Mbourne (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny. I went with the 16 over a 15 because it's my daily driver and all the rags went on and on about how easily the rear kicks out on the RWD. Then, I found I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my AWD car due to the P-Zeros. I tried to ride out the original tires until they were worn away because I could not see tossing perfectly good tires. I signed up for a track day and figured I should put on some new rubber and OH MY GOD, did that transform the car. I should have put on different rubber sooner.

Now, knowing that many of the issues were due to horrible OEM tires, I really wish I had gone with the 2015. One year make, 2015 R, RWD. That's something special.

Not that I'm complaining about what I have. I will keep my '16 until I can't drive it anymore, then I'll move it into the living room.

Vik
Mine had Falkens with 305s on custom wheels on the back.. she hooks very well with experience handling a high HP car, no issues.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Welp, guess I'm looking for a late 16 or 17 car then. Can't justify the huge cost increase for an 18, and I do want AWD. Saw a crash repair SVR for cheap, but wary about the repair... A local dealer that specialized in lease returns had the perfect color combo, white w/ white/black interior, but it's NLA, so probably sold quick even though it was advertised at 5-10k above market. The search continues I guess.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:45 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Welp, guess I'm looking for a late 16 or 17 car then. Can't justify the huge cost increase for an 18, and I do want AWD. Saw a crash repair SVR for cheap, but wary about the repair... A local dealer that specialized in lease returns had the perfect color combo, white w/ white/black interior, but it's NLA, so probably sold quick even though it was advertised at 5-10k above market. The search continues I guess.
I see you're also in the Bay Area. When I was looking it was fairly slim pickings locally. I ended up buying from a dealer in LA; there are tons of F-Types down there as you might guess. I really didn't like that dealership though, and if I had to do it over again I'd budget a lot more time and money for traveling to see cars in person.

Quick Reply: 16 vs 17 differences? + other questions.