Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'17 F-type 6MT 2nd gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default '17 F-type 6MT 2nd gear grinding

Hi guys,

I love my new 2017 F-type except for the fact that on quite a few occasions while at the upper rpm range 2nd gear will grind as I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd! I've been driving manual transmission cars for almost 20 years and I'm definitely not a noob when it comes to proper shifts. I am new to Jaguars as this is my first Jag, I did a search but couldn't find much evidence to support whether this is common on the new F-types with 6mt. Anyone else here experiencing this problem? Anyone have a fix or recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by NoScurdyCats
Hi guys,

I love my new 2017 F-type except for the fact that on quite a few occasions while at the upper rpm range 2nd gear will grind as I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd! I've been driving manual transmission cars for almost 20 years and I'm definitely not a noob when it comes to proper shifts. I am new to Jaguars as this is my first Jag, I did a search but couldn't find much evidence to support whether this is common on the new F-types with 6mt. Anyone else here experiencing this problem? Anyone have a fix or recommendation?

Thanks in advance!
Haven't had that issue. It's either a bad syncro or they need to bleed the slave cylinder. Also, make certain you have the seat forward enough to ensure your left foot is firmly planted when you shift.

The following users liked this post:
NoScurdyJags (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Haven't had that issue. It's either a bad syncro or they need to bleed the slave cylinder. Also, make certain you have the seat forward enough to ensure your left foot is firmly planted when you shift.
Well, I know its definitely not my seat position or my failure to press the clutch in all the way. I have an appt scheduled for service this coming week on the car (the carpeting near the door sill isn't seated properly and kinda sticks out and speakers buzz/rattle when volume is up about half way) so Ill definitely have them address this as well, even though its covered under warranty, I hope its not a cumbersome repair as Id hate to be without my car for more than a day or two...

Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My MT doesn't grind. However, it is possible to beat synchors if you shift super fast.

The following users liked this post:
frank james (03-26-2017)