F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 F -type with drained battery advice/help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 06:59 PM
Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 17 F -type with drained battery advice/help needed.

I had an independent Jaguar shop replaced my 5yrs old battery last week after seeing “low battery messages” coming up. The “low battery” message went away after and the car was fine.

A day larder, the car threw a CEL so I plugged in a generic OBD reader to check it out. It showed a o2 senior issue, but I was not too worry about it since I know these f-types get them from time to time. Sure enough, the CEL went way over night. However, I started getting “decrease power steering”, “ “two wheels drive only, power reduced” messages the following days. I figured it was a battery related issue so I plug in my CTEK charger to the car over night. The charger shows a full charge (7 lights) each morning I checked, but those errors message would still randomly appear throughout the next few days.

After talking to a Jaguar service advisor, I decided to take the battery tender off for a couple of days, hoping that the car would “learn” that it has a new battery to solve these issues. Big mistake as yesterday I tried to start the car and only found that the battery was dead. Drained. I plug my CTEK back in over night and was able to start the car again this morning, even though the CTEK charger, over a 24hrs period, only shows 3 lights out of the 7 that it usually shows when the battery is fully charged. I even turned off the blue tooth setting as well as unplugged the phone cigarett charger

I had some times to read up about the OBDII issues posted on the forum, and suspect that my using the ODB reader may have caused the car’s electronic to stay on and drain the battery. Today, I tried unplugging the negative cable for a few minute minutes, then reattached it to reset the battery. However, the charger (after 6 hrs.) is still only showing 3 lights out of the 7, and the hazard triangle is still lid up even though the car is locked.

The next appointment I can get at the dealership is not until 1/7/22. Any advice on what I can do to reset the battery (aside from what I had already tried with disconnect the negative cable), or am I now at the mercy of the dealership tech when they get around to it in January of next year?

Last edited by Lizard; 12-20-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Just open the rear hatch, and disconnect the negative terminal for a few minutes and then reconnect it (without the charger attached). It will reboot/reset the battery. You can disconnect both cables and touch them together for a few minutes also to drain all the memory if the reboot does not/did not work. Then let the battery charge for a while until it is strong, and you should be all good.

DC

Old 12-20-2021, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Just open the rear hatch, and disconnect the negative terminal for a few minutes and then reconnect it (without the charger attached). It will reboot/reset the battery. You can disconnect both cables and touch them together for a few minutes also to drain all the memory if the reboot does not/did not work. Then let the battery charge for a while until it is strong, and you should be all good.

DC
The OP said he has already tried that but it didn't make any difference.
I suspect a defective new battery.
If I were the OP my first step would be to take the car to an auto parts store and get them to test the battery.
If the test comes back "no good" then go back to whoever supplied and fitted that battery and demand a new replacement.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88

DC
Thanks for the tip, DC. Can you clarify the "....disconnect both cables and touch them together for a few minutes..." line, as in taking the positive and negative cables (circled in yellow in picture) off of their mounting posts and rub them together? Should I expect some fireworks with this?

Old 12-20-2021, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. And no fireworks. The battery is no longer connected...You are just draining/grounding out all the memory modules.

Good luck.

DC

Old 12-20-2021, 09:24 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

No No NO! If you unbolt the black cable you have circled, and unbolt the red cable where your yellow circles is, and touch them together, you'll surely have sparks flying as both ends are still connected to the battery. I'm thinking he means to disconnect the cables at each battery post, then touch them together

Old 12-20-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rondog
No No NO! If you unbolt the black cable you have circled, and unbolt the red cable where your yellow circles is, and touch them together, you'll surely have sparks flying as both ends are still connected to the battery. I'm thinking he means to disconnect the cables at each battery post, then touch them together
That makes more sense. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Or since we all have obnoxious and unsocial cars after you have disconnected the battery you can press on the horn to drain any remaining charge out of the system and modules.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

after locking the car, does the warning triangle in the center console stay lit? It should be completely off after around 5-10 minutes and no longer glow red. Only then is the F Type completely shut down with all electrical participants!

Old 12-21-2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
after locking the car, does the warning triangle in the center console stay lit? It should be completely off after around 5-10 minutes and no longer glow red. Only then is the F Type completely shut down with all electrical participants!
The triangle stays on. Even after several battery disconnections this is still happening. I need to figure out how to make it go off.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rondog
Originally Posted by Lizard
That makes more sense. Thanks.
Yes...That is what I meant/said. I could not see your circles on my phone. But you disconnect the BATTERY cables from the BATTERY and touch them together for a minute or so.

DC

Old 12-21-2021, 08:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard
The triangle stays on. Even after several battery disconnections this is still happening. I need to figure out how to make it go off.
You need to figure out which circuit is still drawing current, maybe by monitoring the current draw at the battery and pulling fuses one by one. The Car Wizard did a video a while back on how he tracks down such things - he has a handy gadget.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Is your generic OBD reader still plugged in? If so, unplug it and reset the batt again.