Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts
Default '17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains

We had a great time driving with a local sports car club yesterday (20 cars in total). The driver in the M2 was an experienced 30-something driver and I had fun following him for the first leg. When we took a break he remarked that he was "amazed" at how my Jag handled & apologized for not being able to run quicker. Although we were flying I did have to back off both in corners as well as could not put my foot all the way down in the straights but it was a great "warm up" for what came next. The older M3 was behind me & while we was able to hang well in the corners, he could not keep us with myself & the M2 on the straights as we pulled away from him quickly.

An older gentleman closer to my age or possible a bit older whom owns a VERY NICE '15 911 GTS next took the lead. I think these two may have had radios and the M2 guy likely asked the GTS to take the lead & the M2 tucked in behind me. This run was similar to the first but just slightly faster. I was able to stick with the Porsche guy in every turn but was also able to accelerate harder exiting the turns as the Porsche handled better & it's driver was doing the same. Essentially I stuck to his butt but noticed the M2 fading in the distance at a number of points only to come back up on us here and there but never really got close. I later learned that my tires were kicking up rocks from the road and he understandably wanted to preserve his ride. Can't blame him at all for that.

When the group took a break at the top of one of the mountains the 911 driver said "Wow! I can tell that you have some driving experience as you were doing great pushing that HEAVY car around those corners. Nice driving!" I replied, "Thanks, it was a pleasure following another great car with a seasoned driver to show me the way." The three of us then chatted about taking apex's, trail breaking, prior formal track days & such before heading back out with the M3 leading the way on the next section.

The M3 driver REALLY knew this particular stretch and the Porsche slid in behind him with me in 3rd and the M2 behind me. I never thought the M3 would have been able to have done it but he was masterful on the corners but in doing so he was crossing over the yellow line anywhere it was safe to do so. The Porsche and I both had been staying exclusively in our lanes until about 5 minutes in we realized that we needed to also follow the M3s line in order to make it easier on ourselves. Both myself and the 911 were not able to accelerate hard out of the turns as we would have run over the M3 but we were still able to step on it gently on exit making for a nice, smooth powered apex departure. You could tell the M3 driver had LOTS of hours and truly understood the capabilities of his vehicle.

I had a great time running with these guys and was not trying to "push" or make any of them uncomfortable. Everyone confirmed that they were "good" and they also enjoyed it. We had a great run as did others in the group that were running a bit behind our pack. I can't post videos here for obvious reasons but here are a few still pictures.

PS - There was also a very nice M3 that had been customized for tracks with an interior roll cage, super light weight wheels, every external engine mod possible and full suspension treatment. I did not get the opportunity to join him in any turns as our day had run longer than planned due to the entire club getting stuck on the interstate going 2 MPH for about an hour & 15 minutes at the very start of the day. It was 4pm when the balance of the drivers headed up for the last 1.5 hour twisties section that I turned south and drove the 2 hours back home so that I could grab gifts & food for Mothers Day.

Attached Thumbnails '17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains-players.jpg   '17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains-stang-pass.jpg   '17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains-m2-taking-lead.jpg   '17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains-m2-corner.jpg   '17 R, '17 M2 & '15 911 GTS vert & an M3 playing in the NC mountains-gts-corner.jpg  

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ndabunka:
death1ord (05-13-2018), DJS (05-13-2018), jaguny (05-13-2018), Mbourne (05-13-2018), Sonoman (05-14-2018), uncheel (05-13-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)