Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18% dark tint...Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Buick, it looks really terrific.

With that tint, I'm really glad you decided to get the pano roof, because the car would have been even more of a "panda bear" without it.

Any regrets? :-)

Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Buick, it looks really terrific.

With that tint, I'm really glad you decided to get the pano roof, because the car would have been even more of a "panda bear" without it.

Any regrets? :-)
None at all...so glad I listened to others here and added the roof...big time!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Car looks fabulous! (and, yes, the Panaramic roof is wonderful). I've yet to see - nor do I expect to see - any color combination (or wheel for that matter) which doesn't look spectacular with this stunning vehicle.

Hard to pick just one (combination).

My wife tends to be a bit sheepish when it comes to my vehicles (she met me when I had a [gorgeous] Monte Carlo Blue 1997 NSX) and knew she would be delighted when I came home with my Stratus Gray Jag with Black interior and camel stitching...

Understated - if one can call our cars that - and elegant.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-05-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Well I snapped these the other day in direct sunlight right around noon with the shade open...and even I'm surprised how dark they look.
Well maybe not really surprised,my Sony camera never really seems to do well in brightening up pictures.
Name:  DSC06846_zps77d5d102.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  59.5 KB

Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Buick,

It looks great, but we could never get away with a tint that dark on the driver and passenger side windows. The law enforcement authorities consider it a matter of life and death for their personnel, and they are very aggressive in enforcing it.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-06-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

I hear you...it does look rather striking though.
We'll see how long I get to keep them...

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The state of WA allows 25% and it's only sunny about 3 months out of the year here. I have 20% on one of my vehicle and it's not an issue. As someone said earlier, you get used to it.

That said, I don't dive at night much and most of my driving is in suburbia where crosswalks are rarely used and traffic is often fairly light where I live at.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Last I checked, the state of Washington was 35%.

What's with everyone being so down on tinting? If you want to put safety before appearance, buy a Volvo!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Last I checked, the state of Washington was 35%.

What's with everyone being so down on tinting? If you want to put safety before appearance, buy a Volvo!
To be clear, I wasn't being down on tinting in the least. Perhaps your comment wasn't directed at me but others on this thread?

According to my tint guy and what I've read, WA is 25% but feel free to show me otherwise.

kjamo

Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kjamo
To be clear, I wasn't being down on tinting in the least. Perhaps your comment wasn't directed at me but others on this thread? According to my tint guy and what I've read, WA is 25% but feel free to show me otherwise. kjamo
No, not you. But there have been many threads on the forum about tinting and I'm still shocked at how many people do have such strong opinions against it. To the point of insinuating (or blatantly stating) that those who tint their windows are irresponsible or dangerous.

Can anybody show any actual stats that suggest tinting is dangerous?

Anyway, to the OP, your f-type looks great!

To kjamo, I thought I got the darkest legal tint when I went 35%. I could be wrong. It was the first item on my agenda after getting the car. Really improves the look of my black car, I think. I also blacked out the side reflector (living on the edge, I am!)

The following users liked this post:
Kjamo (11-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 PM

It looks like the limits are 24% darkness, 35% reflective. I guess I don't know what I have, then.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Thank you...

Old 11-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

No, not you. But there have been many threads on the forum about tinting and I'm still shocked at how many people do have such strong opinions against it. To the point of insinuating (or blatantly stating) that those who tint their windows are irresponsible or dangerous.

Can anybody show any actual stats that suggest tinting is dangerous?

To kjamo, I thought I got the darkest legal tint when I went 35%. I could be wrong. It was the first item on my agenda after getting the car. Really improves the look of my black car, I think. I also blacked out the side reflector (living on the edge, I am!)
Well the laws exist for a reason.

It's a well known fact that there is a higher probability of accidents at night than during the day due to reduced visibility in the dark.
Nighttime Driving Restrictions Statistics

It's common sense that if you block out 100% of light and can't see anything then accident risk goes up dramatically. So the question is at what point is it irrelevant that you block out light. Can you drive safely with 1% visibility, 10% visibility, 18% visibility as the OP has through his side windows. Most state governments require you have 30-60% visibility and these laws exist like speeding laws to prevent accidents.

Police often go on the record to talk about accidents being caused by dark tints:

UK police force statement that dark tints cause accidents.
U.K. police to enforce limits on tinted car windows - Europe - Stripes

Las Vegas police representative saying crashes are being caused by drivers being unable to see through excessively dark side windows.
Metro Cracking Down on Tinted Windshields (Sept. 17) - 8 News NOW

My issue with some people on this thread is that they think it makes no difference. That is just retarded. It would be a different matter to say - "yes it increases my risk of an accident but I don't care" - but to say your risk of collision is the same with increased versus reduced visibility is stupid.

Of course we all pick the risks we take. Eating unhealthy food can kill you. Smoking can kill you. Speeding can kill you.

I choose to speed. I think it is foolish to double down my driving risk by both speeding and having an illegal tint that reduces visibility from my side windows. And I don't want to run over a cyclist - they are hard enough to see at night even with untinted windows.

My car will get a 70% tint.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Very nice

thanks for the pics, gives me a guideline.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Well I snapped these the other day in direct sunlight right around noon with the shade open...and even I'm surprised how dark they look.
Well maybe not really surprised,my Sony camera never really seems to do well in brightening up pictures.
The tints look great! Have you considered painting/wrapping the side mirrors black too? I think it flows well with the profile and would look even better on yours with the tints.
Heres mine (black mirrors; no tint):

Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by De_Jag
The tints look great! Have you considered painting/wrapping the side mirrors black too? I think it flows well with the profile and would look even better on yours with the tints.

Thats on my to do list, sir.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by De_Jag

On my list as well..

Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic

Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Looks good. Almost looks like mine. The fact that the interior is black makes the tint look darker than it actually is too..

This is after I got my sidemirrors wrapped in gloss black:

Quick Reply: 18% dark tint...Pictures!