F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st bizarre experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Most of the time it is not possible know what a sound means. But this sounds like it needs looking into.

Last edited by Suaro; 07-13-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Cavitation always involves incompressible fluids ( such as water or gasoline). Air is (obviously) compressible.
The 2nd time I heard it recently was in relation to the dagger boards on the AC yachts.

The Boats That Fly

If no one else, Unhingd is going to LOVE the reporter's ability to describe relatively complex engineering in an accessible way.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

I assume a dealer doesn't need me to estimate the dates and times of the events, as the "computer knows all"?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cavitation always involves incompressible fluids.
not when it involves the lung

Old 07-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
not when it involves the lung
outstanding. Thank you for introducing me to the phenomenon of pulmonary cavitation.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Preferably via Wikipedia rather than personal experience.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Preferably via Wikipedia rather than personal experience.
"Gray's Anatomy". [No, Dave...not Grey's Anatomy]

Old 07-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

outstanding. Thank you for introducing me to the phenomenon of pulmonary cavitation.
my pleasure

Old 01-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

TL;DR-
Anyone know the "flashing check engine light" and what it means, especially as it pertains to Jag?

--

So I found out that no one has searched "Flashing Check Engine Light" and F-Type. A Jag Forum thread or two do pop up, however. It seems to be a misfire, and some say it is a critical exhaust error.

Well, you saw my exhaust vid, but now I've the "flashing check engine light", which I recorded, because the dealership said it doesn't trip an engine code, etc. Whatever, it is happening, and I will get to the bottom of this prior to end of warranty.

Also, I am also frustrated with my dealer... a series of weird errors with my last service included misdiagnosing my car with another car's problem, having my car for way too long in lie of that, lack of communication in a timely manner, and finally... when I got it from service, the moment I got home I got an automated email that I declined break service, which I was never told about while I was there. They say "Beware the fury of a patient man". But I will take this as an opportunity to get a number of tiny things taken care of, and I have alerted them to needing more follow through, communication, and info.... so we shall see.

I would say this is the 8th time this has happened. One time it "fixed" itself, but I usually need to turn off my car, after being at a light or pulling over, and restarting it to "reboot" the exhaust issue. It's random, I cannot recreate it at the dealer, so I hope they defer to the videos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DY3E0ezlSlk2iXhX2

Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
TL;DR-
Anyone know the "flashing check engine light" and what it means, especially as it pertains to Jag?
If the check engine light is flashing, you need to take care of this right away. That flashing light is warning you that the catalytic converter is being damaged. Your injectors are working, sending fuel into the cylinders, but the fuel isn’t getting combusted. Instead, the unburned fuel is going right through the cylinders into the exhaust system, where it’s ruining your cats. There is a good reason the light is flashing. The problem is far more urgent than when it's steady-on.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

If the check engine light is flashing, you need to take care of this right away. That flashing light is warning you that the catalytic converter is being damaged. Your injectors are working, sending fuel into the cylinders, but the fuel isn’t getting combusted. Instead, the unburned fuel is going right through the cylinders into the exhaust system, where it’s ruining your cats. There is a good reason the light is flashing. The problem is far more urgent than when it's steady-on.
Yep, as per usual you should RTFM!
This is what the Owner's Handbook says under the heading of Warning Lamps and Indicators:

"ENGINE/TRANSMISSION (AMBER)
Illuminates briefly, as a bulb check, when the ignition is switched on. If the lamp illuminates when the engine is running, there is an emissions-related fault with the engine or transmission. The vehicle can be driven but may enter
Limp-home mode with the possibility of reduced performance.
Seek qualified assistance as soon as possible.
If the warning lamp flashes while the engine is running, reduce speed and seek qualified assistance urgently."

Old 01-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, as per usual you should RTFM!
This is what the Owner's Handbook says under the heading of Warning Lamps and Indicators:

"ENGINE/TRANSMISSION (AMBER)
Illuminates briefly, as a bulb check, when the ignition is switched on. If the lamp illuminates when the engine is running, there is an emissions-related fault with the engine or transmission. The vehicle can be driven but may enter
Limp-home mode with the possibility of reduced performance.
Seek qualified assistance as soon as possible.
If the warning lamp flashes while the engine is running, reduce speed and seek qualified assistance urgently."
LOL I definitely saw that in the manual.

My issue, which is worth the bump, is what is your historic experience with something like this, in that the light will flash when the event occurs, but when I "reboot" the car (turn it off, turn it back on, even in the middle of a street at a stoplight), it resets, and the problem goes away. Of the 7-10 times or so this has happened, 3 or 4 felt severe. But overall, I've driven less than a 1/4 mile total, or so, when this has happened before "resetting".

I think 2x now, they've never been able to do the OBD port diagnosis and find a tripped / triggered engine fault, or record of the event.

Should I have any expectation they'll go off my videos of the event, to follow up on it? Without a code triggered, I assume they'll say there's nothing they can do?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, JLR dealerships these days check for codes as the first thing they do, and if they don't find any their response is "there is nothing wrong with your car sir, sorry we cannot help you". They are staffed by "technicians" who are trained to use the SDD system, not old school mechanics.
I recommend you get yourself a decent code reader and next time the check engine light starts flashing pull over immediately and connect the reader. It may show one or more codes, it may not, but worth a try.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, JLR dealerships these days check for codes as the first thing they do, and if they don't find any their response is "there is nothing wrong with your car sir, sorry we cannot help you". They are staffed by "technicians" who are trained to use the SDD system, not old school mechanics.
I recommend you get yourself a decent code reader and next time the check engine light starts flashing pull over immediately and connect the reader. It may show one or more codes, it may not, but worth a try.
Well it just happened again, and I pulled over, and if I had that reader, I would have been happier than I am now. I won't even share the quick video I took of me being forlorn.

Anyone want to recommend a decent code reader?

Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Well it just happened again, and I pulled over, and if I had that reader, I would have been happier than I am now. I won't even share the quick video I took of me being forlorn.

I use an iCarsoft i930, works great and brings up all the codes plus a heap of other things, see here for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...4AAOSwo0JWJdyO
You can get much cheaper generic code readers but they read only a very small range of codes and they aren't much use.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Ever find yourself in the East Bay? Or maybe we could coordinate something closer to your neck of the woods. I've got a bluetooth one you can borrow for as long as you need it. Can't remember if it needs an Android device or will also work with iOS, but I think it's an Android-only app. I've also got a ScanGauge (wired) sitting in a box here since 2012, when I sold my 9-2x. That reads codes too. Either one will require the "battery module reset" after use.

Just had a thought ... did you ever get a VAP tune? The V-Tech reads codes, and hasn't necessitated (cavitated?) a battery module reset yet.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Ever find yourself in the East Bay? Or maybe we could coordinate something closer to your neck of the woods. I've got a bluetooth one you can borrow for as long as you need it. Can't remember if it needs an Android device or will also work with iOS, but I think it's an Android-only app. I've also got a ScanGauge (wired) sitting in a box here since 2012, when I sold my 9-2x. That reads codes too. Either one will require the "battery module reset" after use.

Just had a thought ... did you ever get a VAP tune? The V-Tech reads codes, and hasn't necessitated (cavitated?) a battery module reset yet.
I'm android, and in the easy bay from time to time. =) Happy to overnight an Amazon one, tho. Yours does sound simple.

No tune yet. It's coming post warranty, but now I realize it really shouldn't effect warranty.

BUT... anyone want to venture a guess (as I am relying on the dealer right now), as to precisely *why* a flashing check engine won't log into the computer? It's happened enough I assume it would log something. Why wouldn't that log something? THANKS!

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 01-24-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

I use an iCarsoft i930, works great and brings up all the codes plus a heap of other things, see here for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...4AAOSwo0JWJdyO
You can get much cheaper generic code readers but they read only a very small range of codes and they aren't much use.
THANK YOU for the suggestion.

The final update, for now....

I got them to identify it, because I had the date and mileage of my last few events.

They verified it in some computer, noted active exhaust was not working. Checked both fuses at engine bay and passender side fuse box and traced back, and checked for voltage at valve solenoid, but active exhaust voltage was normal at 14v+. They found there was no vacuum at the exhaust valves, and replaced the valve solenoid as 1st step to resolving the problem.

It seems corrected! HOWEVER... a day after getting the car back, check engine came on again... not flashing but just normal static light. Prolly another bad O2 sensor? What a drag, but oh well.... car feels / seems great now. =)

Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Mine's in the shop now for perpetual satellite radio "Acquiring signal" issues. I've got a diesel F-Pace as a substitute. If I didn't hate SUVs and diesels, I'd be impressed. It's not bad, but it's not my F-Type.

Last edited by lizzardo; 02-09-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Mine's in the shop now for perpetual satellite radio "Acquiring signal" issues. I've got a diesel F-Pace as a substitute. If I didn't hate SUVs and diesels, I'd be impressed. It's not bad, but it's not my F-Type.

I've a Discovery. I somehow made a service appt yesterday, which is bizarre enough to get in in less than a week or two, *&* they had me listed with a loaner, which is virtually impossible to get in less than 3 weeks. They were floored, laughing, and said it is because of my pleasant and friendly aura. Lol Even car places have that Marin vibe!

But I shouldn't have this BRG Discovery, but it is nice. It isn't my Jeep Wrangler or F-Type. It was always a car I thought I would love for offroading, but it seems an odd hybrid that marries a rough ride off roader with luxury in a way that doesn't achieve either. Lol. It is nice, but if I were to consider a new 4door SUV, it would be the Cherokee Trailhawk for sure.