F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Oil Change on P300

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1st Oil Change on P300

Hello All, today I performed the first oil change on my '20 P300. The car has 2,098 miles and is just out of the break-in window. There is 0 chance I'm waiting to hit 12,000 on the factory fill. That's a terrible idea on a DI F/I 4-cylinder.

Per recommendation from a different thread, I purchased a Mityvac and this was my first time using it.

Aside from the oil fill capacity (6.9 quarts), the other difference vs. the 6 and 8 is the size of the oil filter housing. The 4-popper requires a 65/67mm x 14 flute oil filter wrench to remove. I believe the V8 uses a 90mm x 15 flute? The filter cap takes 25nm to tighten.

All went smoothly, and the Mityvac was great. The surprise was how much metal was in the filter! I'm glad I took it apart to look. I suppose this may be normal with so few miles on the ODO but WOW! I've never seen anything like this with any car I've owned. Does anyone have any feedback?

Last edited by 4pot; 11-10-2020 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Photos
The following 2 users liked this post by 4pot:
BruceTheQuail (11-11-2020), SinF (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:40 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow that's a lot of metal. It makes sense for it to be higher than normal due to the initial break-in of tolerances in the engine, but that's surprising. I wouldn't worry though.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:01 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Never seen that much metal in a filter before, but I guess these days with Uber-tight tolerances that may be the norm?

Never ever saw metal after running in old engines with barn-door tolerances, the odd con rod yes, but that's a different story!

Old 11-11-2020, 05:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,473 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I've never seen so much space in the engine bay!

Old 11-11-2020, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Good job on prudently doing an early oil change. You might have just saved your engine.

Filter pictures show unexpected amount of metal, you might have an internal problem or someone did a very bad keeping engine assembly line clean. I strongly recommend you do an oil analysis (I use Blackstone labs) and do the next oil change soon.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I just did my first oil change on my P300 last week also (at about 3600 miles) I also noticed those little specks of metal in the filter.
I don't get why Jaguar recommends such a long time to do the first oil change, the dealer near me recommended doing the first one earlier and not listening to what Jaguar said so I just went with that.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:18 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I understand that Jaquar offers free oil & filter changes within the warranty period. If you request an early change, does anyone know what the dealer may charge to do that ?
If exorbitant I would weigh the costs of buying a Mityvac, the required oil and filter and doing it myself.

4pot, which model Mityvac did you buy ? I'm lookiong at them online and see models 7201, 7300 and 7400, all with different options.

Regarding the metal particles in the filter I'd like to think that they were artifacts from the engine assembly and were caught almost immediately or during the first few miles of operation and remained suspended in the filter. But then again, who knows ? Good idea to change the oil & filter early, I have always done that with every new vehicle I have purchased. The negligible or modest cost to do that vs. the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I understand that Jaquar offers free oil & filter changes within the warranty period. If you request an early change, does anyone know what the dealer may charge to do that ?
If exorbitant I would weigh the costs of buying a Mityvac, the required oil and filter and doing it myself.

4pot, which model Mityvac did you buy ? I'm lookiong at them online and see models 7201, 7300 and 7400, all with different options.Regarding the metal particles in the filter I'd like to think that they were artifacts from the engine assembly and were caught almost immediately or during the first few miles of operation and remained suspended in the filter. But then again, who knows ? Good idea to change the oil & filter early, I have always done that with every new vehicle I have purchased. The negligible or modest cost to do that vs. the peace of mind is worth it to me.
Mityvac 7201! This one is a hand pump that doesn't require shop air, etc. I purchased from a vendor on Amazon.

Great feedback, everyone. I still have the oil from the initial fill in the Mityvac and can send in a sample to start documenting wear materials. I also have another factory oil change kit on hand, so I can flush it out in 2-3k miles to see what's changing.

In terms of the flakes, I wonder if we're seeing turbo, bearings, or bore (or all 3)? I noticed the JLR spec oil isn't one of the newer Low Speed Pre-Ignition combating formulations (SN Plus)? And I'm really not sure what this specific Mobil1 ESP blend has for an additive packages. Does anyone have any feedback?

I recently watched the below video and it opened my eyes to the dangers of LSPI on modern direct injection motors. Coincidentally, I started researching LSPI after seeing a video of a 9A1 engine (2009+ DI 911 Carerra motor) with unusual rod bearing wear attributed to LSPI. I think it's something to be very aware of.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Keep in mind that "warranty" and "service" are two different plans. With most manufacturers, the service plan will cover a pre-set number of oil changes. However, those typically must be done on the manufacturers pre-defined intervals. i.e. if you want an oil change outside of their defined windows, you pay for it out of your pocket.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I strongly recommend you do an oil analysis (I use Blackstone labs) and do the next oil change soon.
+1. This way you can verify whether it’s normal break-in or has something more sinister going on.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. This way you can verify whether it’s normal break-in or has something more sinister going on.
Indeed, I use Blackstone frequently and have the sample ready to ship out tomorrow. Assuming USPS doesn't lose or delay it, I hope to report back once the results are in.

If you want more data, another good one is SPEEDiagnostix:
https://www.speediagnostix.com/

The following 3 users liked this post by 4pot:
SinF (11-12-2020), supersportmtl (11-12-2020), Unhingd (11-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pot
Indeed, I use Blackstone frequently and have the sample ready to ship out tomorrow. Assuming USPS doesn't lose or delay it, I hope to report back once the results are in.

If you want more data, another good one is SPEEDiagnostix:
https://www.speediagnostix.com/
I'm definitely curious to see the results! Surprising amount of metal shavings.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:35 PM

Hello everyone, I received the oil analysis. Please let me know your thoughts! I will do a change again in 3-4k miles and send in for another report. If all is normal, I'll stretch the change interval to 6k.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 583 Likes on 401 Posts

Don't I see them recommending another oil change and analysis at 2K - 4K miles?

as they mention, TBN is good. Other contaminants are OK, interesting that Moly is so low, I guess Jaguar doesn't use it as an assembly lube as Honda does.

Did you actually flush the engine/intake (BG, Seafoam, or CRC intake cleaner product) before the oil change?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Don't I see them recommending another oil change and analysis at 2K - 4K miles?

as they mention, TBN is good. Other contaminants are OK, interesting that Moly is so low, I guess Jaguar doesn't use it as an assembly lube as Honda does.

Did you actually flush the engine/intake (BG, Seafoam, or CRC intake cleaner product) before the oil change?
Yes, I will do another change in 4k miles, or 6,098 total miles on the ODO. The car was at 2,098 miles at the time of this sample.
If the trends appear better, I will change at a longer interval thereafter. Actually, it would be perfect to hit 12,000 miles, and get the free Jaguar service.
I understand most will only change at 12,000 miles, which I think is crazy!, but maybe this is to benefit the next guy. My F-Type is a lease and I don't plan to keep it, but also don't want to be a bad steward. I've definitely been on the wrong side of extended oil change intervals and deferred maintenance from previous owners.

I flushed with Liqui Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush in the oil. Instructions were to pour into the (warm) oil, and let it run for 10 minutes at idle. No intake cleaning or anything like that, but I did put Ceratec in with the new oil, and will flush again at the end of this interval. I love Liqui Moly products. May be a bit of a waste of money, but I'll do it on these two initial oil changes.