F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st year review

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 1st year review

In a couple of weeks I will have owned my new purchased 2017 f type r coupe for a year. Thought I’d write down some impressions for anyone who cares. The car has been used as an (almost) daily driver during this time.

The car was delivered in as new condition with just a few miles on the clock. Except for one tiny scratch on the plastic adjacent to the drivers seatback reel, there were no defects in paint or fit and finish. Since delivery there have been zero problems, except for a dealer oil change that I paid for after 2000 break in miles. Like many in the forum the dealer overfilled the oil which I didn’t find out about until I got home. I pumped out the extra, notified the dealer and they took the car back in and flushed the now very black remaining (combustion by-product contamination?) oil out, and re changed at their cost. I was initially quite concerned as the service Mgr remarked that they had to replace several other v 8s under warranty likely for the same reason as they had used incorrect fluid levels dictated by Jaguar. Fortunately so far no problems in subsequent 5000 miles.

i was always taken by the design of the f type, and it still looks great. There are a half dozen others in my neighborhood, but outside that environment they are pretty rare. After decades of Lotus ownership, I felt like a traitor deciding on the f type instead of the Evora 400, but despite its superior driving dynamics, the Evora’s external appearance left me cold.

The f type is really a GT rather than a pure sports car like the Lotus Elise I owned before, and they live in different realms. The Lotus was always in “dynamic mode” by it’s very nature, the direct non-power steering, brakes, light weight, and non filtered suspension were super precise. It felt at all times like you were driving a clapped out c/sports racer on the road. The seats were awful after about 20 minutes, and the Blaupunk stereo was the worst ever. By comparison the f type is much more isolated, the seats more comfortable, and the driving experience less edgy. Though the Elise was much harder to get into, it ( and my wife’s Mini ) have more legroom than the f type, which I find strange since it is such a big car. I am 6’2”.

I never owned a car that couldn’t have used another 100 horsepower, and the f type is no exception, but on the road the low end torque available is much more relaxing to use than having live between 6500 and 8200 rpm to really move through traffic in the Lotus. I have experimented with the f types abilities on a closed airfield and it dances better than I thought it would for such a fat girl, the awd system works well allowing some oversteer while converting most of the power applied into thrust rather than tire smoke. Once you get used to the electric steering, it’s Ok, with some usable feedback, just not as informative as what I was used to. The car does pretty well considering it’s weight, but you can always feel the mass. If it weighed 1200 lbs less it would be spectacular as a sports car, but it would dramatically change the nature of what it is.
The biggest issue I’ve noticed during the year is over the paint, which seems unusually frail. I noticed early on an unexpected level of erosion to the paint on the rocker panel (despite the R’s side skirts), the flare ahead if the rear fender and inside the forward portion of the rear fender lip, where stones thrown onto the rear tire from the front wheel were batted into the inner fender lip by the rear tire. There are no gravel roads where I drive and Florida roads are in good condition. I solved the problem by fabricating my own front wheel mud flaps and applying 3m stone guard which cured the problem. Upon delivery I had a clear bra installed which has worked very well. Bird droppings, tree sap etc immediately leave marks in the clear coat, and I’ve had to use my Griot’s system several times to polish out damage that my wife’s Mini would have shrugged off.
Where the f type really shines is as a high speed touring car, it is comfortable, quiet, and has adequate power reserves for most street situations. It feels very special, Once I found the DTS and Dolby settings, the stereo went from OK to great. A bonus for me is that it draws no attention to itself, in a sea of 200,000 mile four door Toyota’s and Honda’s all dropped, loud and wearing under width tires on oversized rims, it shoots past like a ghost with barely anyone taking notice. The red Lotus Elise garnered too much attention on the same roads. Every time I get out of the car I look back at it. I made the right decision.

The following 6 users liked this post by SJones:
Andrew W (10-09-2018), BruceTheQuail (10-07-2018), Don1954 (10-08-2018), Greggbhill (10-08-2018), KarimEls (10-08-2018), scm (10-08-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2018, 04:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Nice write-up.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

, . Every time I get out of the car I look back at it. I made the right decision.
[/QUOTE]

Well, that just proves that you are a true Jaguar owner, because regardless of which model of Jaguar you own, that is the universal behaviour.

and yes, that is a very good and interesting report. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for the enjoyable write up. Very much appreciated.

~DS

Old 10-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The road rash isn’t a paint issue, but rather a styling issue. I have Xpel on the rockers which got so pitted after 3 years that I had it replaced. The underlying paint is still perfect.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently bought an F-Type for a daily driver and have retired my Lotus Elise to a track only car so I can have the best of both worlds. The F-Type felt like a Crown Vic when I first got it but am getting used to it. I think it will be a good balance but I already miss the Elise. I'll need to schedule more track time to give it equal time!