Sponsored by:

2+2 = brand save

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts
Default 2+2 = F-bomb

Dear Next Jaguar CEO

F-type idea:

The F type is a special car and pulled off the role of the E-type with modern safety and function and build quality.
But little do most know that the zf8 transmission is designed to allow an electric motor to be installed in line...so to make the F-type a hybrid is possible.

In a move to simultaneously build on the E-type legacy AND be partially electric, please consider the following:

A hybrid with perhaps a 50mi pure electric range (the electric is to add massively to performance....) in a 2+2 machine where people can actually sit in back.....that would be amazing.

Even consider making the rear a little more bulbous like the E type 2+2, which for some years was the best selling model of the E-type. Battery plus folding rear seats would make the coupe amazingly ideal...same options otherwise...maybe a straight 6...

Series 1 coupe:

Series 2 2+2

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-31-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:45 PM
Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Spoke wheels…..I understand the performance short comings but damn one of those wheels hanging in my garage has more theatre, sense of occasion and sexier than an entire Tesla.

Im just happy I grew up in an era where Ive experienced an f type and similar.

Anyway a little off topic so it must be the whiskey

The following users liked this post:
Mark7Seven (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

It would be great if JLR did that, but I don't think they have the means (money or resources) to do the redesign as they march toward EV's.

Ian wanted to create a 2+2 version of the F-Type. He wasn't thinking hybrid, but it certainly fit the homage to the E-Type. The proposal never got off the ground, Ian's gone, and the F-Type is soon to follow. Sad. The current design chief came from the LR side, so I'm not optimistic. Even the SUV's may find their way over to the other side of the company, while the sedans try to figure out how to become Bentley's. Risky business. I wish them all the luck, but the only JLR stock I'd own at this point is parked in the garage.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:46 PM

I threw "hybrid" in because the CX16 was a hybrid v6, the ZF8hp transmission is designed to handle an electric motor being added (the tech may be commodity out there, plus they have the e-pace so they know how to do it.....), and this would get them a "hot" car in the lineup. Since the CEO left, they can perhaps openly re-adjust without it looking too odd.....this shift to a halo gt hybrid F type could carry the day for a bit until they get to new cars....

Just a thought. Hoping JLR C office types see this.

I'd buy one if awd for my every day use for sure.....would like them to go back to a more series 1 headlight design however. I am not a fan of the mazda-esque design move.

Just make a 2+2 cx16: https://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/2011-c-x16_concept/ .

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-01-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Funny you should mention Mazda. Ever noticed how similar the Mazda brake light design language is to the F-Type? Not sure who was first.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mcphill
Funny you should mention Mazda. Ever noticed how similar the Mazda brake light design language is to the F-Type? Not sure who was first.
My bet is on the E type being first.

The current F-type stuff came around 2011 in the CX16 concept here https://www.dexigner.com/news/23851 .

Note sure if Mazda was before 2011....or if they borrowed the Jaguar design...but my take is the Mazda rear came in 2016 with the ND...so Jaguar was the source and Mazda copied the rear lights is my take.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-01-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I always thought the 2+2 E Type was an abomination. The only thing that made it worse was an automatic transmission. Although I feel differently about a current ZF 8 speed auto than I do about the automatic that Jaguar offered back when you could get an E Type with a 4 speed.
Please, no 2+2 F Types.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 11:58 AM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I always thought the 2+2 E Type was an abomination.
I believe most car folk kind of felt the same way. It would be like telling your absolutely perfect looking girlfriend to bulk-up at the gym so she could help you out with projects around the house.

The E Type was not designed to be a people hauler. Can you imagine four people in your F Type? I can hardly stand one other person in mine!

Old 02-02-2023, 01:47 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I did like the back "seats" in my previous XKR - very useful storage space for coats, bags, etc. And the XKR was (is!) a good looking car.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:14 PM

I like the flexibility....just more like the 911 cabin - useful for storage. No one but kids (or very small adults) will ever go back there....would make the car a little more useful - you could carry a little more. It would be cool to be able to carry skis or a bike inside....or more than one person's international "big" suitcase. On a youtube review of the E type, the 2+2 was noted, in 5 speed guise, to be the pick of the litter to the expert being interviewed...the auto not so much..... I like the looks a lot so not everyone thinks they are ugly. Not better, not worse, but equal.

I use the F type very single day as my dd. Beauty is in the way it can do it all to me...storage is its main weakness. Yes, I know it is a GT car, etc. But a little more space for road trips and fun things would be great. To me at least. Having it out there doesn't in any way prevent the standard one from existing.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-02-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:40 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I like the flexibility....just more like the 911 cabin - useful for storage. No one but kids (or very small adults) will ever go back there....would make the car a little more useful - you could carry a little more. It would be cool to be able to carry skis or a bike inside....or more than one person's international "big" suitcase. On a youtube review of the E type, the 2+2 was noted, in 5 speed guise, to be the pick of the litter to the expert being interviewed...the auto not so much..... I like the looks a lot so not everyone thinks they are ugly. Not better, not worse, but equal.

I use the F type very single day as my dd. Beauty is in the way it can do it all to me...storage is its main weakness. Yes, I know it is a GT car, etc. But a little more space for road trips and fun things would be great. To me at least. Having it out there doesn't in any way prevent the standard one from existing.
That's why most F Type owners either have a second car or a significant other with a more practical vehicle. My wife drives a Cayenne which takes care of it for me. If I only had access to one car, I would choose something a bit more practical. And not having that space behind the seats is what makes the F-Type cabin so much more intimate than a 911. I hear what you're saying, just the same, but F-Types are for purists which is why they are so rare and so damn nice.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=synthesis;2610588]That's why most F Type owners either have a second car or a significant other with a more practical vehicle. My wife drives a Cayenne which takes care of it for me. If I only had access to one car, I would choose something a bit more practical. And not having that space behind the seats is what makes the F-Type cabin so much more intimate than a 911. I hear what you're saying, just the same, but F-Types are One does not stop the other one....there is room for both. I think the F type would appeal to more with the 2+2...same reason there is an M4 wagon now....

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-02-2023 at 09:10 PM.