F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 things re: oil level

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2 things re: oil level

1. I just had my 2-year scheduled service. When I got home, I checked the oil level (after the required 10-minute wait): “Overfilled.” Same thing after 2 hours and next day. Since the technician had told me that he added 8 quarts (= 7.57 liters = .35 more than the car’s 7.25 liter capacity w/filter change), I suspected the overfill to be minor, due probably to an incomplete extraction.

Cheap but effective solution: the PT (Performance Tool) Suction Gun ($15 US). It’s basically a big syringe (1 pint capacity) with a 12” flexible tube. The tube is too big for the engine’s extraction tube, so you’ll have to get some ¼” tubing to fit inside, then seal the joint with a hose clamp or tape. I thought I would have to detach the pump after every pull, but to my surprise the oil started flowing and filled the cylinder with the first pull. With 1 pint less the engine is happy, judging by subsequent readings which are all “OK.”

2. As I was going over with the service staff the procedures to be performed at the 2-year service (the list is on p. 31 of your “Passport to Service” booklet), I noticed: “Reset engine oil level indicator.” Huh? Neither the technician, nor the service advisor, nor the service manager had any idea what this involved or why it was there. Their comments were all versions of: “What’s to reset? You change the oil, then you check the level.”

Does anyone here have a clue?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Car computer needs to know that you have changed the oil.
It keeps track.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
It keeps track.
Yeah they're smart but not THAT smart...

Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
It keeps track.
Telling the car's computer that a service has been performed enables it to inform you when the next one is due. The function of the "engine oil level indicator" is to indicate the oil level. Hence my question, which the service guys were unable to answer: What's the "reset" all about?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Telling the car's computer that a service has been performed enables it to inform you when the next one is due. The function of the "engine oil level indicator" is to indicate the oil level. Hence my question, which the service guys were unable to answer: What's the "reset" all about?
The reset does nothing more than reset the time and mileage for next service back to 1 year and 16,000 miles, whichever comes first. It does nothing in terms of the oil level calibration.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

"“Reset engine oil level indicator.” Huh? "

I think the booklet refers to the procedure of "update the average oil level value" as mentioned under point 15 of enclosed document .
No idea what the meaning of "average oil Level" is. Performing step 15 nothing changes on the oil level indicator nor any messages are shown up.
My dealer always did it after the oil change, but could not give any explanation to me.

Regards
Ulrich

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oel_01.pdf (936.7 KB, 154 views)
The following users liked this post:
Frenchy (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Interesting that that procedure doesn't include resetting the service indicator.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I noticed this morning that after sitting overnight, when checking the oil level it initially came up as overfilled but after about 30 seconds changed to OK. I wonder if a number of owners with overfill anxiety may be shutting off after the first read.

Of course I may have a car that can't make up its mind....

Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I noticed this morning that after sitting overnight, when checking the oil level it initially came up as overfilled but after about 30 seconds changed to OK. I wonder if a number of owners with overfill anxiety may be shutting off after the first read.

Of course I may have a car that can't make up its mind....
Well, the car is a 'she' after all..
Lawrence

Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 PM

Thanks for that document, Ulrich. I'm going to send it to my dealership's service manager.

I notice, however, that it's for the V8. You obviously have good sources. Could you possibly dig up the document applicable to the V6?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

@frenchy

sorry I only have information suitable to my MY14 V8S Model.
But your dealer should have access to topix where he can get all
information including this document . I think it's exactly the same
procedure with the V6 as most of the components of the engine as well
as the cars software are the same.

Regards
Ulrich