F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F-Type V6 S - Misfire sound in high RPM.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 F-Type V6 S - Misfire sound in high RPM.

2014 V6 S

When driving my 14’FType starting off is perfectly fine, no problems within low range RPM. However the ‘Spurting/Machine gun’ happens when more power is put down during higher RPM - this happens not when you thrash it - but higher RPM in general regardless which gear we are in.

Any Ideas?

• See video below for the sound - I know we get pops/bangs and burbles with our FType, but this shouldn’t be happening when pressing down for more power

Last edited by MarcAztex; 01-17-2024 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The valves will always open at around 3,500 rpm which might explain the extra noise. Our definitions of "Spurting/Machine gun" may differ, of course. Put it in dynamic mode and see if the noise occurs at lower revs - if so, your car is behaving normally..

Old 01-16-2024, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by scm
The valves will always open at around 3,500 rpm which might explain the extra noise. Our definitions of "Spurting/Machine gun" may differ, of course. Put it in dynamic mode and see if the noise occurs at lower revs - if so, your car is behaving normally..
REPLY: I understand the vales open alters the noise and gives more pops and burbles, it sounds more of a misfire spurting.

• With driving: if building up the speed slowly over time it we have no problems, and doesn’t struggle, but as soon as you put your foot down in either, normal, dynamic or wet weather it will make the sounds & struggles for power to build up to the speed wanted. It’s really bizarre!

I had cruise control on at 62mph and upon hitting a hill of course engine normally drops a gear or puts more RPM to ensure 62 is maintained - but as the car needed more power to tackle the hill at 62 it started to make the misfire sounds again and struggled to have that instant power! (Resulting in me having to press the accelerator slowly to build up the speed)

super annoying as it’s a problem I’ve never had before

Old 01-16-2024, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Usually any misfires can be felt more than heard so are you feeling these suspected misfires or just hearing something?

Old 01-16-2024, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Usually any misfires can be felt more than heard so are you feeling these suspected misfires or just hearing something?
REPLY: It’s really hard to explain but only happens when I press down the accelerator for more power to climb hills or overtake etc… engine will get get to a higher RPM and then start missing/not giving you the power needed & ofc coming with a lot of pops through the exhaust -.-

(will try to get a video later today if it helps)

Old 01-16-2024, 06:49 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you either taken it to an auto parts shop to have codes read, or done that yourself? Since you did not mention, I assume no CEL?

Old 01-16-2024, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by texas jag
Have you either taken it to an auto parts shop to have codes read, or done that yourself? Since you did not mention, I assume no CEL?
REPLY: I did do a diagnostics fault code check and came back clear surprisingly (even checks codes if no warning lights are on too) so nothing is being flagged on the system

Old 01-16-2024, 08:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You don't have to prefix your replies with "REPLY:", we can work that out for ourselves.

The following users liked this post:
MarcAztex (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 10:28 AM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcAztex
2014 V6 S

When driving my 14’FType starting off is perfectly fine, no problems within low range RPM. However the ‘Spurting/Machine gun’ happens when more power is put down during higher RPM - this happens not when you thrash it - but higher RPM in general regardless which gear we are in.

Any Ideas?
Clogged fuel filter? Vacuum leak? Bad injector? Bad fuel pump? Clogged air filter? Clogged catalytic converter? We probably need more info. Weird that it doesn't throw a CEL.

My completely uneducated and wild guess is a bad injector.
​​​​​

Old 01-16-2024, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by scm
You don't have to prefix your replies with "REPLY:", we can work that out for ourselves.
Sorry lol I’m new to this 😂

Old 01-16-2024, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Originally Posted by Sovande
Clogged fuel filter? Vacuum leak? Bad injector? Bad fuel pump? Clogged air filter? Clogged catalytic converter? We probably need more info. Weird that it doesn't throw a CEL.

​​​​​
*Will post a video attachment soon with it so we know what it sounds like*

I have recently changed the injectors though 👍🏽

Old 01-16-2024, 12:51 PM

​​​​​
Should be a video attached of a standing start & then more power pressed down that makes the sound.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:26 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I don’t think you can upload videos to the site. Can you upload it to YouTube, Dropbox etc and post a link?

Don’t know if you can upload audio files.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
I don’t think you can upload videos to the site. Can you upload it to YouTube, Dropbox etc and post a link?

Don’t know if you can upload audio files.

hope this works

Old 01-17-2024, 01:28 AM

​​​​​

☝🏽 This only happens when I increase acceleration&rpm need to either overtake/climb a hill ☝🏽

Old 01-17-2024, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by scm

Old 01-17-2024, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like an exhaust rasp to me.
Maybe one or both of the exhaust valves are loose and rattling?
Could also be a loose heat shield that only rattles when the engine is under load.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:40 AM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

See if you can replicate it in manual mode without upshifting. Exhaust pops will only be with a drop in revs , maybe on up shifts if driving in auto or if you take your foot off gas quickly in manual mode. Up shift farts are under your control with the paddles so easy to identify.

your video has two noises. First sounds like the normal upshifts at high revs. Second noise later in the video is different again ? Is that your concern

just re read your post. As you have power loss it’s going to be an engine/fueling issue rather than exhaust.

Last edited by Borbor; 01-17-2024 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:16 AM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

Sounds kind of like what most people call the "pops and crackles" which are created by unburnt fuel reaching the hot exhaust.. if unburnt fuel is reaching the exhaust on acceleration then maybe you've got no spark in a cylinder. The sound being evenly spaced is what I'd expect if one cylinder's fuel was igniting in the exhaust. Dead plug maybe? Ignition issue? Maybe one cylinder is overfueling under load and fouling the plug?

Does it make the noise when the engine is really cold, like if you start the car, immediately get out onto the street, and floor it? If the answer is no but it starts doing it as the car warms up, that might support the idea.

If you had a major exhaust leak in one header you might also get a cracking sound like this, but the leak would have to be pretty major and I'm not sure if it'd come with a significant power loss. I also think it'd happen all the time, not just under acceleration.

These sorts of things are really hard to diagnose over the internet, might be worth having a shop look at it. Happy to keep taking dumb guesses at it tho 😂

Old 01-17-2024, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Borbor
See if you can replicate it in manual mode without upshifting. Exhaust pops will only be with a drop in revs , maybe on up shifts if driving in auto or if you take your foot off gas quickly in manual mode. Up shift farts are under your control with the paddles so easy to identify.

your video has two noises. First sounds like the normal upshifts at high revs. Second noise later in the video is different again ? Is that your concern

just re read your post. As you have power loss it’s going to be an engine/fueling issue rather than exhaust.
I forgot that bit about loss of power!
Maybe just maybe one of the cat bricks has started to break up as that might explain both symptoms?

Quick Reply: 2014 F-Type V6 S - Misfire sound in high RPM.