F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F-Type V8 Engine Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021 | 09:09 PM
|
Question 2014 F-Type V8 Engine Noise?

Bought my F-Type V8 S 3 months ago, drove great no problems. Driving around for a few hours parked it to eat and when I turned it back on and drove down the road I started hearing a squeaking noise coming from the engine. Pulled over opened the hood and noticed a ticking noise along with the squeak. The squeak sounds like some belt is loose, but is coming from the rear of the engine. No CEL at this point, I ended up getting it towed to my house since it was late at night. And as I started it to take it off the trailer, I got a CEL for crank position sensor, along with loosing all power steering. It sounds like a belt issue but im not sure what the ticking noise is. The tick or squeak does not increase with RPMs either. Any ideas?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
video1 (1).mov (2.22 MB, 33 views)
File Type: mov
video0 (1).mov (568.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-09-2021 | 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dgretty
Bought my F-Type V8 S 3 months ago, drove great no problems. Driving around for a few hours parked it to eat and when I turned it back on and drove down the road I started hearing a squeaking noise coming from the engine. Pulled over opened the hood and noticed a ticking noise along with the squeak. The squeak sounds like some belt is loose, but is coming from the rear of the engine. No CEL at this point, I ended up getting it towed to my house since it was late at night. And as I started it to take it off the trailer, I got a CEL for crank position sensor, along with loosing all power steering. It sounds like a belt issue but im not sure what the ticking noise is. The tick or squeak does not increase with RPMs either. Any ideas?
Timing chain slipped a tooth due to timing tensioner/guide issues? But that doesn't explain the power steering issue. Is the accessory belt (2nd belt back) still intact? Coul;d the power steering pump be making all that noise? Use a $20 stethoscope to pinpoint the squeal and ticking..

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-09-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2021 | 10:52 PM
|

I thought it was the accessory belt due to the power steering also.. But I just turned it into Jaguar friday (under extended warranty). So they will let me know too. I couldnt find the accessory belt, the engine bay is extremely packed.

Old 01-10-2021 | 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dgretty
I thought it was the accessory belt due to the power steering also.. But I just turned it into Jaguar friday (under extended warranty). So they will let me know too. I couldnt find the accessory belt, the engine bay is extremely packed.
Yes, that belt is almost impossible to see without removing the front belly panel and looking at it from underneath.

Old 03-20-2021 | 08:16 AM

What was the diagnosis and fix for your problem? TIA

Old 03-20-2021 | 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Just curious, you still have an extended Jag warranty on a 2014??
Did you just time in by the skin of your teeth on the 5+2 or something different?

Old 03-20-2021 | 09:22 AM

Jaguar has it since 1/21 do you have a diagnosis and repair? Extended warranty worth their weight in gold when it relates to non wear and tear issues, like engine, transmission or differential failures.
Frank

Old 03-21-2021 | 03:31 PM
|

Originally Posted by frank barone
Jaguar has it since 1/21 do you have a diagnosis and repair? Extended warranty worth their weight in gold when it relates to non wear and tear issues, like engine, transmission or differential failures.
Frank
I have an extended 3rd party warranty through CarMax (where i bought the car.) The extended warranty was approved in Mid-February. And my Jaguar dealership has had it ever since. I'm finally getting it back from repair tomorrow 3/22.
I didn't receive a diagnosis, even after asking multiple times. But they did say that the oil was low and there was metal in the oil. They ended up replacing the Supercharger and installed a new Long block.

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 05:05 PM

Glad to see they repaired your engine. I’m curious as to what exactly jaguar replaced, have they supplied you with a parts list of new/old components? Any warranty from Jaguar or warranty company with new engine and components? What was the holdup on the work, Jaguar or warranty company. Thank you in advance for taking time to answer, I’m asking so that we all can be informed if something similar happens to us. Thanks again.
Frank

Old 03-21-2021 | 05:56 PM
|

They didn't give me a parts list, I asked. I'm hoping they will give me one tomorrow and ill update you. The hold up was on Jaguars end, they were supposed to be done 3 weeks ago, but kept giving me the "we had a delay, you'll have it back next week." They did an extended road test and seems like everything is well though. It will have 1 year labor warranty from jaguar. And a 1 year warranty through the warranty company on parts. Does the dealership need approval from me to do a road test? Seems a little sketchy they just drove my car 100 miles without letting me know.

Old 03-21-2021 | 07:20 PM

They replaced the motor? Isn’t that a long block?

Old 03-21-2021 | 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Madscott
From everything I know or ever heard it is basically an engine replacement.

Old 03-22-2021 | 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Madscott
Originally Posted by RGPV6S
From everything I know or ever heard it is basically an engine replacement.
Yes...Pretty much is the whole engine, with a few exceptions - it usually does not include fuel system, electrical, intake, and exhaust components, as well as a few other components and accessories that are re-used. Typically, if just the core/block is replaced, it is referred to a a short block, and then you re-use upper and lower end from existing engine, unless there is damage to any of those parts.

DC

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021 | 12:46 PM
|

At long last I picked my car up yesterday, Jaguar ended up repairing alot. Motor mount, bunch of hoses, coolant lines, water cooler, fuel injectors, new battery, and the Engine / Supercharger. The reason it failed they believe was due to low engine oil. I bought the car 2 months before it ended up breaking, I checked the oil after pick up and again after I had it about a month. Both times it was at the fill level. No excessive smoke and no puddles in my driveway. Im not sure where all of that oil would have gone. But it seems to be running good now.
On a side note, what is the procedure for break-in? I asked Jaguar and they said "Its already broken in, drive it normally, just don't redline it."

Old 03-23-2021 | 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

That is amazing customer service!!
Hope my local dealer is just as understanding if the need arises, though hopefully it will not!!