F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F Type V8S and 2016 F Type R AWD - From Blessed Greatly to Greatly Blessed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2014 F Type V8S and 2016 F Type R AWD - From Blessed Greatly to Greatly Blessed

The Final Verdict: Get the 2016 R AWD.
Why? Because the tldr should be at the beginning.
What am I talking about? I had a 2014, and now I have a 2016, and I recommend the 2016 AWD R over the 2014 V8S. At some point in time, someone may have a choice between the two. Granted, the difference in price between the two is at its greatest right now. If the price difference is very important, then I will tell you that the 2014 is still a great car. At the end of the day, I just want to share my experience just so everyone can know more.

Background: I leased a 2014 about a year ago. It had a few problems and eventually I used the lemon law to ask for a replacement. Jaguar wasn't required by law to replace the car, only to refund me, so I thought it was pretty cool of them to replace it. I got to add a couple more options at my own expense, and now I really do have my dream car. I really don't know where to go up from here. Like really, a La Ferrari would be sweet, but I don't think I could drive it to work so this one'll do.

I have had the 2016 for a couple of months now, but due to travel I didn't get to drive it much. I know it well enough now to talk about it, so here are my thoughts on the two models. The format, word choice, and maybe attitude, are going to feel a little weird, but what can I say. I’m a rebel that way.

2014 F-type V8S ----- vs ----- 2016 F-type R AWD:

2014 Interior: Pretty good.
- I found the materials to be ok. I liked the Hexagon trim, and the color scheme is safe.
- I had the extended leather, and the steering wheel was as thick as I wanted it to be (though I now think it is too thick on both cars). The leather was kinda rough though, everywhere. I got driving gloves because, even though I wouldn't admit it, I hated the feel of the steering wheel.
- I loved the knobs, supercool. The display on the A/C control is genius, and anyone who complains about it needs to get a life. The pop-up vent in the dash is also really cool, but I understand the concerns about reliability. I don't get concerns about weight, but people are entitled to their opinions (generally speaking).

2016 Interior: Very good.
- The material quality is a tad bit better. The central console feels good, but looks a little bit like faux carbon fiber. Sometimes people have different opinions on this part because they actually have different parts. I prefer the trim in the 2014.
- The leather is so much better here. It is soft, and worthy of the car's price. I don't use my driving gloves anymore. Also, I got the red/black seats, and even with my red exterior, they look great.
- Same cool stuff as before, but the volume knob is now this grippy type of rubber. I don't like it. I prefer the glossy plastic in the 2014.

2014 Powertrain: Fantastic.
- Not much to be said here. 495HP. Supercharged. Doesn't get better.

2016 Powertrain: Fantastic.
- Really, it doesn't get better. The 2016 is a little heavier, so I think the extra HP and torque end up equalizing the extra weight. At least it feels that way, which is all what matters.

2014 Handling: Fun.
- The rear end really wants to go sideways. All the time. At launch, the rear-end wiggles around for a little bit before you go, and hitting the gas on a turn (or exit from a turn for people who like living) feels a bit like sky diving. I've never been sky diving, but I imagine it feels like this when, you know, you risk your life for funsies.
- Off ramps are not your friend. The car inspires less confidence than a mercedes sedan. Really, this car is about going forward.
- The car is heavy. I did auto-cross once. Wow, that front-end bias is a killer.

2016 Handling: Safe fun.
- The car really goes. I mean, it always felt fast, but since the better dynamics mean the car doesn't waste time at the start line, it just feels faster whenever you hit the pedal.
- Off ramps are now fun. I still play it safe, because I like living, but I can go so much faster. I didn't really understand the whole 'confidence in the car' thing till I drove the 2016.
- She is still heavy. The SVR doesn't need more power, it needs less weight.

2014 Exterior: Gorgeous.
- We are all experts on this one. The car looks great, and the Italian Racing Red is very pretty. Its only drawback is that it is so gorgeous when its clean, that even though it is still pretty when it is dirty, I just feel an ache in my heart because I know how pretty she is when she is shiny.
- I had the black cyclone rims. With the IRR, I had the perfect black/red combo. Perfect for any hot-blooded young man.
- The black side skirts were pretty cool. They made the car look skinny, but let's be honest, that's not what this car is.

2016 Exterior: Heart-stealing, jaw-dropping, beauty.
- I had to get the Diamond/Grey gyrodyne rims. I thought it wasn't going to be as cool. I was right. However, I tend to prefer glamor over grit, and the gyrodyne wheels make the car look classier. I am happier with this option, but it could go either way.
- Those black vents on the 2014 are pretty cool right? Sure. But what you really need are body matching vents, widely spaced.
- Those two lines on the hood were pretty aggressive right? Sure, but how about four lines instead. The hood isn't an arrow pointing you in the right direction anymore. It is a large enclosure for your large engine. I need a poet to help me describe it, because I am not qualified to convey its beauty.
- The black side skirts on the 2014 made the car look lithe, but this car isn't a flexible kitty. It's a hulking beast. Body color side skirts make it look as wide as a Ferrari. And let's be clear about something: compared to this car, a run-of-the-mill Italia just isn't gonna cut it.

Last edited by hardwired; 01-25-2016 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (02-24-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for posting...As a matter of fact, I'm right in the middle of making a similar decision between a preowned 2015 Type R and a 2016 Type R coupes. Apparently there are currently several stackable incentives on the 2016s which make the two cars similar in price. I prefer the 2016 elite warranty over the 2015, but torn whether I will miss the RWD. I've read the RWD Type R is a handful, but I like the tail happy fun of RWD cars. However, it would be nice to have all weather capabilities with AWD and dedicated snows and even better control in the rain. I think I would also enjoy feeling more confident in the dry with traction and not crashing my $100+k car.
Decisions...decisions...

Old 01-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks for the write-up and I'm glad it all turned out in the end. It's certainly a stunning car. I'll have to avoid stopping by the dealer for a bit.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kief
Thanks for posting...As a matter of fact, I'm right in the middle of making a similar decision between a preowned 2015 Type R and a 2016 Type R coupes. Apparently there are currently several stackable incentives on the 2016s which make the two cars similar in price. I prefer the 2016 elite warranty over the 2015, but torn whether I will miss the RWD. I've read the RWD Type R is a handful, but I like the tail happy fun of RWD cars. However, it would be nice to have all weather capabilities with AWD and dedicated snows and even better control in the rain. I think I would also enjoy feeling more confident in the dry with traction and not crashing my $100+k car.
Decisions...decisions...
One thing I'd like to note us that the leather in the 2015 U.S. pretty smooth from what I've seen at the dealers. I've sat in a few of each model year, and that is my opinion. I can't help you with the other thing, and I think you already know that . I'm pretty happy with the awd, but I miss making people yell when I take them out for a spin and let the tail slide all the way.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

What type of issues did you have with your '14 that you had to use the Lemon Law?

Old 01-26-2016, 02:15 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Question

Decisions...decisions...
Which stackable incentives are you seeing? My dealer mentioned a $2500 rebate on the R.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by pistol
Which stackable incentives are you seeing? My dealer mentioned a $2500 rebate on the R.
$2500 chase lease cash or $2500 finance cash on the type R
$3000 conquest cash (if you own the typical marks--bmw, audi, etc..)
$3500 VIP (if a dealer is willing to do this for you)

If you can negotiate a deal at invoice (or just slightly above), and then subtract the applicable incentives, you can really make out on an R!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Philly Single
What type of issues did you have with your '14 that you had to use the Lemon Law?
A bunch of minor things, and a check engine light accompanied with a little shaking that they never figured out. It stayed mute than thirty days in the sup and went back in for the check engine issue for times. I don't know how many days exactly because they would open and close cases after I picked up the car, so it was way more than thirty, but the record only showed a little more than thirty. That and the four visits were enough though.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Decisions...decisions...
what did you decide on?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by pistol
what did you decide on?
2016 Type R:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ivered-157254/

Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I faced a very similar decision between a 2015 V8S IRR/cirrus and a 2016 R black/tan. I think living in a mostly dry climate helped me stick with the V8S. I've been skydiving, it felt a lot more stupid then driving my Jag ever has. Maybe it's the sustained falling?In any case, congrats on the 2016.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Congrats Kief, I think you made the right choice!

I have a few follow up thoughts...

Steering feel:
The electric steering is, imo, an upgrade over the hydraulic steering. The advantage of hydraulic steering is supposed to be better feedback, but I think the steering on F type never really provided that.
The benefit of the electric steering is that it feels a little lighter and more balanced for every day driving, and a tad lighter in dynamic mode, which is a slight but notable improvement.

Exhaust:
The exhaust sounds similar, but there is a difference in when it becomes loud. In the 2014/5 v8, the exhaust was either muffled or it was not. Normal and dynamic mode didn't make a notable difference.
In the 16R, the exhaust has three (unofficial) volume settings. In Normal mode, you can turn the exhaust switch on and off, but you don't get that low RPM rumble unless you are in dynamic mode. I prefer the 14/15 settings, since I like having a load exhaust in Normal mode, but I am OK with the newer settings as I like it that the car behaves differently in Dynamic mode.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by hardwired
Congrats Kief, I think you made the right choice!
Thanks hardwired! And interesting follow-ups.
BTW, didn't mean to jack your thread :-)