F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 or 2016 R

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 or 2016 R

Hey folks, I feel like this is something probably has been discussed but I've had very little luck searching for info.

I'm going to purchase a used R, but I'm undecided whether to go for the 2015 RWD or a 2016+ AWD. I like the idea of the AWD but the rear wheel drive seems pretty good too. I've test driven them both and I'd be happy with either. I'd like to hear some opinions from folks that own them.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

What is your tolerance for risk? If high, rwd. If not, awd.

The following users liked this post:
Stohlen (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I live in a very warm environment and chosen the RWD for more fun, and it so worth it! In my city snows once in 30 years, rains not very often, around 300 sunny days in a year. :-)

Old 07-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the AWD and it is a super-intelligent safety system. Obviously, developed out of necessity. Go with the 2016.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Probably need to ask yourself a few questions - and only you will be able to answer them / make the decision:

How comfortable / experienced are you with high performance RWD vehicles?

What is the climate like where you live?

Will it be a daily driver or weekend / fair weather toy?

Do you prefer / are comfortable with being able to drift the rear of the car or prefer the "glued to the road" assurance of AWD?

Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
What is your tolerance for risk? If high, rwd. If not, awd.
This.

You really have to answer this question for your self; no one on this forum will help you as everyone has their own specific reasoning for which purchase they made. You'll have the RWD guys saying they bought it because its more "fun" and then you'll have people like me get pissed off at them because AWD is a different kind of fun and RWD people refuse to acknowledge that

The following users liked this post:
Scott S (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
I have the AWD and it is a super-intelligent safety system. Obviously, developed out of necessity. Go with the 2016.
Not sure I agree with that. Had my RWD V8 for 3.5 years now and haven't died even once so far!!

If you have enough experience and skill and don't use the gas pedal as an on / off switch then RWD can be infinitely more rewarding than AWD

Old 07-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
Do you prefer / are comfortable with being able to drift the rear of the car or prefer the "glued to the road" assurance of AWD?
Also there's a fair bit of misunderstanding of the AWD system in this car. Its extremely rear bais and will allow for plenty of drift with the traction control off or even in track mode before straightening the vehicle out.

Last edited by Stohlen; 07-07-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

then RWD can be infinitely more rewarding than AWD
And it begins....

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This.

You really have to answer this question for your self; no one on this forum will help you as everyone has their own specific reasoning for which purchase they made. You'll have the RWD guys saying they bought it because its more "fun" and then you'll have people like me get pissed off at them because AWD is a different kind of fun and RWD people refuse to acknowledge that
Agreed they are both fun in different ways. I have had great AWD cars (911 Turbo) and great RWD cars ( F Type, Ferrari).

Enjoyed both in different ways, there's something to be said for the ability to nail it out of a corner under full throttle and the car just digs in and goes - and similarly great satisfaction to be had balancing the car on the throttle and drifting your way out of the corner.

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 2015 'R' and had the opportunity to drive the 2016 AWD 'R' at the Jaguar Performance Driving Academy. I prefer my 2015 RWD. The other change after 2015 is that they no longer do hydraulic power steering and went to electric PS. This lessened the road feel in my humble opinion. If you do get a 2015, I would get rid of the OEM P-Zero and put on Michelin Pilot 4S. It transforms the car and makes it allot more predictable and doesn't fishtail like the P-Zero on spirited take-offs. Also a 4-wheel alignment (if it hasn't been done) is important since the alignment was off from the factory which may have been a factor in the rear being a bit tail happy. So far very happy with my 2015 'R'.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
And it begins....
I said rewarding.... not fun

Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

A RWD car comes with -100 kg less in weight, which is not bad, as the cars does not need to have front differential, transmission, front active wheels, together the weight saved plus the better fuel consumption due to a lighter car make for the RWD to be more economic in fuel consumption, more agile and better balanced, as well as will less issues/maintenance

Old 07-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default re

Ok so I will admit I may not add anything new to this discussion but here it goes. I s, theold my 650 RWHP ZL1 for my 2015 FTYPE R and have never looked back. My ZL! scared the crap out of me and was ALWAYS on the edge of losing it, The 15 RWD F TYPE v=cetainly puts the power down in a very different way and is easily managed. I also almost never drop it into 1st gear and do 0 to 60 runs so all of my fun is while I am moving which for me make the RWD so much more fun. I also have an AWD S6 with launch control that is an animal off the line but I will never look back on the decision on my 15 RWD F TYPE. The car is so much fun and regardless of you decision, you will NEVER get more attention from everyone around you. I simply could not justify an additional $10 to $15k for AWD and found my dream car at a great price. Regardless of what you decide the F Type R is trulya modern day muscle car and you will love it either way. Just buy what you want, sit back and enjoy all the smiles. Good luck as we are all blessed to drive such a wonderful exotic machine that transcends all generations.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagAlb
A RWD car comes with -100 kg less in weight, which is not bad, as the cars does not need to have front differential, transmission, front active wheels, together the weight saved plus the better fuel consumption due to a lighter car make for the RWD to be more economic in fuel consumption, more agile and better balanced, as well as will less issues/maintenance
And yet its still slower around a track.

These threads are always pointless, and I say that as someone who absolutely contributes to it. Buy what you think is best for you. Don't listen to any of us.

Last edited by Stohlen; 07-07-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I think that there is a difference in the media between the '15 and the '16 models, at leat the 16.5 models had new media. I know it is silly, but I really cant cop the older media interface (the black and white one).

I had it in my second XF and it was so laggy and cramped on the screen I was always pushing the wrong button. The newer tiled setup is much better to use IMO.

I cant help much with the choice of RWD against AWD. I have an RWD v6S and have driven the AWD R. I thought the R felt a lot heavier in the front end, but it was on a track and in dynamic which might have contributed to that.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in Austin, Tx so a warm weather climate and I currently have an M4. I'm not a 0-60 person and I'm not racing people at stop lights. I love the power and the sound. I didn't push anywhere close to the limits in the test drives. I felt they drove very similar to each other in my test. I'm going back tomorrow to hopefully make some decisions.

I also do not turn off nanny controls driving on public streets. I'm just making sure that the car controllable day to day. Of course, I'll be putting my foot in the throttle at times because, well, it's 550hp.

How does it drive in the rain, not that we get much here?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Both have better traction than the M4...I traded my M4 for my '16 R, but there's a reason they went to AWD. I live in Florida, where it rains most days in the summer, so the decision was pretty easy.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Not sure I agree with that. Had my RWD V8 for 3.5 years now and haven't died even once so far!!

If you have enough experience and skill and don't use the gas pedal as an on / off switch then RWD can be infinitely more rewarding than AWD
+1. Some of us have survived just fine for several decades with high powered RWD cars. When it comes to throttle control, the key word is "smooth".

Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by stahlee
I'm in Austin, Tx so a warm weather climate and I currently have an M4. I'm not a 0-60 person and I'm not racing people at stop lights. I love the power and the sound. I didn't push anywhere close to the limits in the test drives. I felt they drove very similar to each other in my test. I'm going back tomorrow to hopefully make some decisions.

I also do not turn off nanny controls driving on public streets. I'm just making sure that the car controllable day to day. Of course, I'll be putting my foot in the throttle at times because, well, it's 550hp.

How does it drive in the rain, not that we get much here?
I live in CT and drive through the winters except when it snows / they drop salt on the ground. Have no problems even on P Zeros in cold weather / rain as I take it easy on the throttle. The gas pedal isn't binary - your right foot is the thing that controls how much of the 550bhp is deployed and how gently.