F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 or 2016 R

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
Both have better traction than the M4...I traded my M4 for my '16 R, but there's a reason they went to AWD. I live in Florida, where it rains most days in the summer, so the decision was pretty easy.
I can believe that statement. The M4 has trouble with grip all the way through 7th.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Remember that you also have a "rain/snow mode", which makes the rwd R very easy to control when it's slippery. I used that mode a few times when the car was new to me. However now that I know the car well, I have no need for that mode - but I might find use for it in the snow (but I don't use my F-type in the winter due to salty roads...).

Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Since you are coming from a BMW....

In addition to the RWD R, I currently own a 2010 Supercharged M3 with about 600 engine horsepower. It is obviously RWD and with BMW electronic nannies, its totally manageable, balanced and works well on the street. At the track, I take it to M dynamic mode or turn the nannies completely off, and its another level of fun.

With the F type, its a similar story, but the thing that is most noticeable when switching between the two cars is the feeling of more mass and a heavier front end on the F-type, a feeling that is likely enhanced by the visibly higher hood line(or should I say bonnet?) of the car vs. the M3. So now here is something to consider: I haven't driven the F type AWD, but I understand the engine sits an inch higher in that model the the RWD and the hood bulges are higher so my concern is both differences would make a weakness of the car even worse.

Less weight, fewer things to break, and possibly greater collector car value were all considerations that made me chose the RWD model. That and mine came with awesome HRE wheels and when I was buying 2015's were even less than 2016's so there is that to consider too. I mean lets face it, besides great looks, the F type R used is a ridiculous performance car bargain.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't buy this car without awd. I've almost spun out with awd. I'd rather not give it a go without the extra traction

Old 07-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
possibly greater collector car value were all considerations that made me chose the RWD model. That and mine came with awesome HRE wheels and when I was buying 2015's were even less than 2016's so there is that to consider too. I mean lets face it, besides great looks, the F type R used is a ridiculous performance car bargain.
Cheaper price of a 15MY and rarity are good point if you care about rarity. That being said, by the time the F type is a collectors car, we'll all be very old and semi-autonomous/full autonomous vehicles will probably have negatively influenced the collector car market to a point.

I would however disagree that an F type R is a good value for a performance car. Used corvettes, GTRs, 911s, etc. are cheaper than the F type R and offer better value from a strictly performance perspective.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Well sure if all you care about is cost, tough to beat a new camaro zl1, used corvette, etc. But if you factor in looks, refinement/luxury and performance, at $60K the F type R is a relative bargain...

I cross shopped it against the Audi R8, Mclaren 570, Z06 corvette and found the fun factor to be about equal, but couldn't find any of those cars in good condition for $60K...

Old 07-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Well sure if all you care about is cost, tough to beat a new camaro zl1, used corvette, etc. But if you factor in looks, refinement/luxury and performance, at $60K the F type R is a relative bargain...

I cross shopped it against the Audi R8, Mclaren 570, Z06 corvette and found the fun factor to be about equal, but couldn't find any of those cars in good condition for $60K...
Don't disagree its a well rounded bargain, but you only said performance. Sorry for being a stickler

Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

In addition to the RWD R, I currently own a 2010 Supercharged M3 with about 600 engine horsepower. It is obviously RWD and with BMW electronic nannies, its totally manageable, balanced and works well on the street. At the track, I take it to M dynamic mode or turn the nannies completely off, and its another level of fun.
The big difference here is that the M3 kits use centrifugal superchargers and the M3 doesn't have much torque down low, whereas the F-type uses a roots blower, plus has a larger displacement engine. So there's a lot more torque off the line in the F-type than even a supercharged M3. With the AWD, the F-type can use all of its power to launch off the line. You really have to try to get it out of shape.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Yep, no doubt I've got to work harder to make the M3 go fast, getting and keeping the RPM's high is required. The payoff is an 8300 RPM redline - oh so sweet. But don't get it twisted, with the low gearing of the M3, even with less torque it can get squirrely in a hurry without nannies.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Just testing to see if I can get a signature picture to show up...

Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep, no doubt I've got to work harder to make the M3 go fast, getting and keeping the RPM's high is required. The payoff is an 8300 RPM redline - oh so sweet. But don't get it twisted, with the low gearing of the M3, even with less torque it can get squirrely in a hurry without nannies.
Yeah I had a 2011 M3. Good car, but I called it the torqueless wonder. Supercharging is a good way to go in that engine, and the centrifugal supercharger maintains the off the line traction while giving power up top. The M4 was the opposite...great torque, but no traction. For me, anyway, the F-type R w/ AWD hits the sweet spot.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The F-type is about drama and RWD just adds to the whole package.

RWD will be the classic year down the road in the unlikely event that the car is ever considered a collector. Not to mention minus the big sils and painted diffuser, the '15 is the best looking year.

I would be saying the same if I owned a '16+.

At the 9 min mark junior sums it up right.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 4 BMW (335, M3, M3, M4) and an MB AMG, I bought a R 2015 and this was my best decision regarding cars. This car is so FUN to drive, I have to reason myself to not drive it all the time. My 2009 M3 was epic, but the Jag is more impressive in every way. As said, I have dramatically solved the oversteer by replacing these stupid P-Zero by Michelins PS4s; the result is spectacular! I tried the R AWD 2017 from my friend and found it to be pretty similar, but I prefer the steering of the 2015. Anyway, there is no mistake in choosing one or the other.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Loving every bit of my 2016 R RWD, especially the side sils and rear difuser. Front and side knife like forms increase the shark theme of the Jaguar F Type whole idea! I find no bad even on practical use and entry exit. The 2016 exterior is enriched and fantastic!

I am convinced on the following:
Not to buy a 2018+ as the front bumper design of all models are a disaster. The new led headlamps ruin the character of the F Type. I do not like the SVR rear spoiler and the changes at front & front sides of it. I do not like the interface of the 2015 instrument cluster. Like a lot a lighter R RWD, obviously more expressive at the rear...

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

JagAlb - so in Albania you can get a 2016 R with RWD, while here in the US, they are only available with AWD? That's i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g. I like your Porsche Albania license plate frame - that's a bit of a sharp stick in the eye. Enjoy! I agree with your opinion on the 2018+ front nose (except for the SVR).

Old 07-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SCMike
JagAlb - so in Albania you can get a 2016 R with RWD, while here in the US, they are only available with AWD? That's i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g.
All markets but the US can get a RWD variant still.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
JagAlb - so in Albania you can get a 2016 R with RWD, while here in the US, they are only available with AWD? That's i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g. I like your Porsche Albania license plate frame - that's a bit of a sharp stick in the eye. Enjoy! I agree with your opinion on the 2018+ front nose (except for the SVR).
I have explained I believe in other threads how did I get it. It was not Jaguar Albania, it is part of few R RWD produced for other markets, was quite an occasion how I found it and stock, not ordered by me, by chance happened to be such a beautiful car in my view. Sale price was great too.

Regarding the license plate frame, you are right. My bad and for correction!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
All markets but the US can get a RWD variant still.
That is good news. That means that the SVO division can custom build an RWD SVR.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That is good news. That means that the SVO division can custom build an RWD SVR.
Lance your custom built SVR manual will now be pushing $300,000 US!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Default Great looking car, ever consider black exhaust tips?

[QUOTE=JagAlb;1717537]Loving every bit of my 2016 R RWD, especially the side sils and rear difuser. Front and side knife like forms increase the shark theme of the Jaguar F Type whole idea! I find no bad even on practical use and entry exit. The 2016 exterior is enriched and fantastic!

Your grey looks a lot like the color of my M3, which looked so much better once the chrome and other colors were swapped to black and it was exclusively grey and black. Black vinlyl wrap the chrome trim parts and ceramic coat the exhaust, its a sexy look...

Last owner did the exhaust tips on my stratus grey f Type, its quite effective...

Attached Thumbnails 2015 or 2016 R-img_5330.jpg