F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 or 2016 R

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I drove up to Dallas to look over a few models. I did some test drives of 2015 and 2016 models, back to back to back to back. Drove each one after the other alternating the 15 and 16. I liked the way the AWD felt over RWD. It definitely had more traction at all speeds I drove. I think I'll be going with a 16 or 17 model.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

That's the only way to make a decision, drive for yourself. I'd recommend several drives like that.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Cheaper price of a 15MY and rarity are good point if you care about rarity. That being said, by the time the F type is a collectors car, we'll all be very old and semi-autonomous/full autonomous vehicles will probably have negatively influenced the collector car market to a point.

I would however disagree that an F type R is a good value for a performance car. Used corvettes, GTRs, 911s, etc. are cheaper than the F type R and offer better value from a strictly performance perspective.
Depends highly on your definition of "performance". Are we talking just "numbers" (0-60, 0-100, quarter mile) or including skid pad, lap times, etc?

On pure numbers, you'd be hard pressed to find a faster car in the 70k range (price for a good used earlyish R), particularly taking AGE of the vehicle into account. Sure, you can pick up a C6 Z06 for less (though not too much less) that puts down roughly the same numbers, but it'll be comparatively ancient (in addition to all the little problems the C6 had...). When we're talking 911s...now, I'll just come out and say it: I'm a very firm Porschephile, taking a break from Zuffenhausen with my R. In my experience, there's no 911 that comes close to the R in this price range. 70k will currently buy you a 997.2 CS, which is significantly slower by numbers (and not faster on a track either, if I'm not mistaken). You might stretch for a very early 991.1 CS, but that's not much quicker (the big change came with the 991.2 recently as the new CS with the Turbo can match the R from a stop). A 997 Turbo puts down pretty equal numbers...but that's 10 years old at this point as well (though you can get one in manual - would have been my choice for an upgrade had I not become fed up with 997s after 3 years). Looking at C&D's numbers, the early GTRs are not faster either. So, you can definitely call a lightly used R one hell of a performance bargain.

Some cars in this price range and cheaper WILL be faster on a track, however, like a 981.2.

Regarding the RWD vs AWD and MY15 vs MY16 debate...I'm from Germany. We still got the RWD into '17 (gone with the facelift as well, though), so my car is a '16 R with RWD. I've not had any issues with it, even though it's my first conventional FR setup car after having only owned Porsches as performance cars before. Yes, traction can be an issue under certain weather conditions, but that should really be quite apparent to anyone. When it's pouring outside, I wouldn't race an AWD version either (or a 911 for that matter!). In good weather, you won't be "spinning out" or "loosing it" even when "putting the pedal to the metal" in second gear. Use common sense and it'll be fine. Drive in accordance with the ambient conditions. Simple stuff.

Apart from that...the MY16 offers slightly better looking gauge graphics and the infotainment is somewhat changed, though I don't know if it's actually faster. I've noticed it looks a bit different and I'm not sure MY15 supports the useless InControl stuff that nobody uses anyway. They also did away with the brass-colored shifter pedals and accents because they tended to wear badly (easiest way to spot a pre '16 car BTW).

Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman2344
Sure, you can pick up a C6 Z06 for less (though not too much less) that puts down roughly the same numbers, but it'll be comparatively ancient (in addition to all the little problems the C6 had...).
2016 C7 ZO6 w/ 15k miles = $70,000 asking price.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=CORV

Numerous 08-09 911 Turbos are available for under $70 with low miles.

And the 15MY GTR could do 0-60 in 3 seconds flat and the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds. Here's one for under $70k with less than 30k miles:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=GT-R

I would argue all 3 are all around better as a performance vehicle. Again we're not including looks, quality, features or anything else here. Strictly overall performance.

Last edited by Stohlen; 07-09-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stohlen
2016 C7 ZO6 w/ 15k miles = $70,000 asking price.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=CORV

Numerous 08-09 911 Turbos are available for under $70 with low miles.

And the 15MY GTR could do 0-60 in 3 seconds flat and the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds. Here's one for under $70k with less than 30k miles:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=GT-R

I would argue all 3 are all around better as a performance vehicle. Again we're not including looks, quality, features or anything else here. Strictly overall performance.
Good point about the 'Vette and GT-R. A C7Z06 would be preferable from a strict performance perspective, I wholeheartedly agree...but then again, it beats most other (also much more expensive) cars in that respect, not just our F-Type. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a GT-R
Hadn't really considered these two though, over here in Europe, even a used C7Z06 will still cost you 100k (these are more expensive here to begin with). Same with a newer GT-R, so I guess the US market differs in that respect.

I had mentioned the 997 TT, but one in that price range would most likely still be the 997.1, which isn't any faster than the FTR. A 997.2 with PDK (997.1 still used TipTronic S) and some extra power comes out on top (though I might add from personal experience that 997 Turbos are not the greatest track machines either, kind of similar to our F-Types). Anyway, a 997 Turbo in the 70k range is positively ancient, as I said.