Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F-Type R Listing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 F-Type R Listing Question

Hi all,

I've been looking for an F-Type S for a while now, but noticed a listing on Carmax for an R at a suspiciously low price. From perusing the auotcheck report, the car had three owners since 2015, with the first owner reporting some early service:

https://www.carmax.com/car/23272949/vehicle-history

12/02/2015 SAINT LOUIS, MO 6,406 Dealer Service Multiple Point Vehicle Inspection
Recommended Maintenance Performed
Vehicle Detailed
Electrical System Serviced
03/21/2016 SAINT LOUIS, MO 8,740 Dealer Service Steering System Serviced
Multiple Point Vehicle Inspection
Recommended Maintenance Performed
Vehicle Detailed
Brakes Serviced
Lights or Signals Serviced
Tires or Wheels Service Performed
Lube, Oil And/Or Filter Changed
Vehicle Fluids Serviced
The third owner also owned the car for only a few months before selling it. These seem like red flags to me, but I was hoping people with more experience/knowledge on the "R" trim could give their thoughts? Carmax does have the 30 day return guarantee, so I could always take it to a mechanic to give it a proper look and return it if there's some massive issue hiding under the hood. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Old 03-07-2023, 06:59 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

CarMax makes things pretty safe. Very affordable extended warranty too.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:29 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Weird service history or sketchy mileage reports etc should prompt further investigation, but I bought my 2016 in 2019 and I was the fourth owner. I’ve now had it almost 4 years and probably drove it less than 2500 miles total. I would think there are others that have numerous vehicles, don’t drive some of their cars very much and end up selling for whatever reason, but not always due to an issue with the car. As always, no guarantee with a used car but I have hard nothing but good things about car max warranties being cheap and them standing behind their cars.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcphill
CarMax makes things pretty safe. Very affordable extended warranty too.
Originally Posted by gg2684
Weird service history or sketchy mileage reports etc should prompt further investigation, but I bought my 2016 in 2019 and I was the fourth owner. I’ve now had it almost 4 years and probably drove it less than 2500 miles total. I would think there are others that have numerous vehicles, don’t drive some of their cars very much and end up selling for whatever reason, but not always due to an issue with the car. As always, no guarantee with a used car but I have hard nothing but good things about car max warranties being cheap and them standing behind their cars.
Thanks for the input! We actually bought a car with them in 2019 right before the pandemic and the process was easy as can be. I had it inspected after the purchase then as well and it was in pristine condition, but it was a newer car.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:46 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

You may want to do a Google search as well as one here on the Forum using the search terms "steering system" for example... see what comes up. Although I don't have an R, and I did all kinds of searches before buying, I didn't discover the clutch issue until after I bought it. Selling dealer was upfront about replacing the clutch, and it was the 4th G unit. One of the reasons I bought that particular car was it still had 18 months of factory warranty on it. I think you would be OK with the CarMax warranty and having the car gone through right away. It appears to be an early car, so maybe all the gremlins have been sorted out. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 03-08-2023, 08:42 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

We looked at a 2017 about a year ago that had around 3,000 miles on it - not a typo! Turns out the single owner was a pilot who was never home. I would have bought it but was informed by my "financial department" that it was the wrong color for me, grrr. I bring this up because there can be all sorts of special cases, and it's on all of us to do our research to figure out what's going on so that there aren't any surprises.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
We looked at a 2017 about a year ago that had around 3,000 miles on it - not a typo! Turns out the single owner was a pilot who was never home. I would have bought it but was informed by my "financial department" that it was the wrong color for me, grrr. I bring this up because there can be all sorts of special cases, and it's on all of us to do our research to figure out what's going on so that there aren't any surprises.
Agreed…due diligence can make or break your purchase. I bought a 2018 R in November with only 5,000 one owner miles on it and was initially skeptical. Did some sleuthing and found out the guy has a stable of cars so the car wasn’t driven much but kept up with yearly maintenance.
I’ve had quite a few fun cars but this car’s looks and sound are mesmerizing.

The following users liked this post:
rrstl3 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:56 PM
Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

Carmax's warranty makes it a safe bet as they cover most things that even Jaguar extended warranty don't. You can even take it to a shop of your choice, or drop it off with them for any repairs.
Unless there's some cosmetic flaws on the car, or missing options that you really wanted, there's no reason to be scared. As long as you get the warranty.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:44 AM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Im the 6th! owner on my 2015 F Type R Coupe. Granted it didnt have bad service records, but I did see the coolant pipes were replaced. Low mileage.

I just bought an extended warranty 3rd party. Now idgaf what happens since Im covered, and selling the car will be easier if I do it with a couple years of warranty left (5 year 60k miles warranty)