F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 ftype coupe climate nonsense.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2015 ftype coupe climate nonsense.

Loving my ftype base v6. However, the climate control is a total disaster. I don't know if i am doing something wrong, but i cannot get the car to keep a stable temperature. I have tried virtually every setting....upper vents on, lower vents on, ac on...ac off. Recirculation on/off...... I cannot get a nice solid temperature to blow out of the car while driving. (am doing best with automatic on..and just the foot vents.). this is such a step down from my XKR where the climate control was impeccable. Has anyone else had this issue?
And....one more issue...my girlfriend weighs exactly 100 lbs...and the passanger airbag keeps going out....(according to the manual this is normal.) the Jag dealer suggested she was too skinny. Is it possible that you can make a car that's airbag won't function for someone that's 99 lbs? what if i had a teenage child?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by johney5
Loving my ftype base v6. However, the climate control is a total disaster. I don't know if i am doing something wrong, but i cannot get the car to keep a stable temperature. I have tried virtually every setting....upper vents on, lower vents on, ac on...ac off. Recirculation on/off...... I cannot get a nice solid temperature to blow out of the car while driving. (am doing best with automatic on..and just the foot vents.). this is such a step down from my XKR where the climate control was impeccable. Has anyone else had this issue?
And....one more issue...my girlfriend weighs exactly 100 lbs...and the passanger airbag keeps going out....(according to the manual this is normal.) the Jag dealer suggested she was too skinny. Is it possible that you can make a car that's airbag won't function for someone that's 99 lbs? what if i had a teenage child?
There was a recall issued for a passenger airbag sensor problem. It came out sometime last fall. The wording of the recall specifically said something like the sensor was mis-wired such that lightweight passengers, primarily children, may not be detected by the sensor, so the airbag will be off. It sounds exactly like what you're describing.

As for climate control, mine seems very comfortable and maintains a stable temp. I just leave it on the auto setting all the time. However, I do recall someone else complaining about the same thing here not too long ago.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I've had my Jag in twice for the airbag issue. My girlfriend is around 110lbs. Same issue, airbag disables half the time she is in the car. They first did the recall fix, which didn't fix it. Then they went through and said they hardwired the sensor changing the resistance or something. Well it still didn't fix it. The airbag gets disabled. Dealer said that the seat sensor requires 120lbs. I find that BS personally. Someone 5'5" should have an airbag.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

I agree that is absurd. Unless yours is an isolated incident, if the first recall doesn't fix it, it will come back to haunt JLR.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Strap a concrete block to her behind. That ought to fix it!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I wonder if you have one or more defective sensors somewhere? Usually climate control systems have a 'sun load' sensor and one or more other temp sensors that effectively work as a thermostat.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I've found the climate control to be excellent. Certainly better than the MB or BMW models I've had over the years. It sounds like you may have a defective sensor.

If it's very cold outside the cabin temperature to feel weird because the F-Type cabin is small enough to put you in proximity to the windows and pano roof which are both heat conducting.

But you live in LA so it looks more like a sensor or control issue.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the same issue and mentioned it before. It can be 45 degrees outside and I set the temperture for 70 degrees. But when it reaches 70 degrees it does not maintain it and the air condition comes on! it does the same thing in auto mode. I do not much care as I am in Florida but hopefully this summer when it is almost 100 the heater does not come on when the cabin gets too cool with the ac running.

As for the air bag it must only be on the passenger side as I weigh 100 and the driver side airbag appears to be illinated when I start the car.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
I have the same issue and mentioned it before. It can be 45 degrees outside and I set the temperture for 70 degrees. But when it reaches 70 degrees it does not maintain it and the air condition comes on! it does the same thing in auto mode. I do not much care as I am in Florida but hopefully this summer when it is almost 100 the heater does not come on when the cabin gets too cool with the ac running.

As for the air bag it must only be on the passenger side as I weigh 100 and the driver side airbag appears to be illinated when I start the car.
Yes, according to the recall notice, the airbag sensor issue only applies to the passenger side. They claimed it was a mis-wiring in the passenger-side, seat belt wiring harness, which is also where the airbag sensor plugs in.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My climate control is really good.. one of the best I've had so perhaps a sensor isn't working.
Lawrence.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in South Florida so I don't use the heat that much, but I have had the A/C turn on when I have the heater going. I have found that if I raise the temp the A/C turn off. I have only noticed this action when I use heat.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I complained about this in another thread:

Climate Control can't hold its temperature. I'm on the East Coast, and it's cold here. The car blows cold air at me even when it's on 75. Even if it gets warm after a cold start, it then thinks it's too hot and then blows in coldish air....I'm always uncomfortable and playing with the temperature knob. Sucks. I brought it to my dealer and they reprogrammed it after they saw it couldn't hold a temperature....didn't work....I don't have time to go back and forth so I'm going to wait until it goes back in next month for the recalls.